DVC rental?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
Where is the best place to rent points? Looking for September. I've checked David's, but are there any other options as well?

By "checking David's," do you mean that they told you you needed to wait for an owner with the right points, or did they tell you that what you want to rent isn't available?

Every rental agency and owner is booking from the same room inventory. If the room type you want is gone, it is gone for every owner and agency. There are a number of room types that are, in fact, gone for most of September already, because DVC members can start booking 11 months out, and certain room types have small inventories and high demand. (BLT Standard, BWV Standard, AKV Value/Club are all on this list, among other unit types.)

If they said that the unit is available but they need the right owner, you might have a chance at another agency or on the DVC Rent board here on DIS. Look for a private owner, or an agency that charges you $17-19 per point, as that aligns with the agencies paying owners the most for points, which makes them most appealing for an owner to rent their points with that agency.

ETA: I saw your other thread. No owner or agency can get you Jambo Value. They are booked solid through early November already. There are only 18. Renters should never price or budget based on getting Value.

No other owner or agency can get you Jambo Value. They are booked solid through early November already. There are only 18. Renters should never price or budget based on getting Value.

Yeah I saw that DVCrental was using Instagram to adverte rates for Value rooms during low point season as being something that could be done. I tried to gently point out to them that it was essentially misleading advertising because those rooms will never be available, while also crediting them for being a legitimate and reputable company. They never responded to me.

By "checking David's," do you mean that they told you you needed to wait for an owner with the right points, or did they tell you that what you want to rent isn't available?

Every rental agency and owner is booking from the same room inventory. If the room type you want is gone, it is gone for every owner and agency. There are a number of room types that are, in fact, gone for most of September already, because DVC members can start booking 11 months out, and certain room types have small inventories and high demand. (BLT Standard, BWV Standard, AKV Value/Club are all on this list, among other unit types.)

If they said that the unit is available but they need the right owner, you might have a chance at another agency or on the DVC Rent board here on DIS. Look for a private owner, or an agency that charges you $17-19 per point, as that aligns with the agencies paying owners the most for points, which makes them most appealing for an owner to rent their points with that agency.

ETA: I saw your other thread. No owner or agency can get you Jambo Value. They are booked solid through early November already. There are only 18. Renters should never price or budget based on getting Value.

All I want is a list of legit sites that rent DVC points. I've found a few sites, all have different terms, pricing etc...

******.com

Oops. It appears that it is a banned website. There are a few that we cannot discuss.

You might get some private messages from people offering you points to rent or the reservation you want (value studio in September). Ignore those. That's just one way people get scammed. That's why an owner needs to have either a specific posting pattern on the DIS or pay to post their points for rent.

You can rent off the Rent/Trade Board right here on the DIS, but you need to read all the sticky threads at the top of the page first.

Last edited:

We prefer DVC rental store. You don’t have to pay 100% right away like you do with David’s. As long as you’re requesting right at 7 months out you have a good shot. We’ve never had an issue and even booked three Poly studios within 7 months without issue. Good luck.

Success within 7 months will really depend on season and unit type. For fall 2019, there are many unit types already unavailable for most dates. This includes BLT Standard, BWV Standard and AKV Value.

It is far easier to rent at 7 months for summer than fall. The very cheapest units are gone for summer, but I can get units for June right now I can't for October, and June is inside 7.

The difference between agencies is they may not have a home resort owner available to book your requested dates when you are in the 7 to 11 month period even though DVC has availability.

Success within 7 months will really depend on season and unit type. For fall 2019, there are many unit types already unavailable for most dates. This includes BLT Standard, BWV Standard and AKV Value.

It is far easier to rent at 7 months for summer than fall. The very cheapest units are gone for summer, but I can get units for June right now I can't for October, and June is inside 7.

The difference between agencies is they may not have a home resort owner available to book your requested dates when you are in the 7 to 11 month period even though DVC has availability.
Two very important factors when it comes to renting. If there is no availability for the villa you want, then it doesn't matter what agency you use. Most agencies will suggest alternate choices when this occurs. If the agency you use doesn't have an owner with home resort advantage where you want to book during the 11-7 month window, then it doesn't matter that there are villas available. In cases like that, many agencies will offer to put your name on a waitlist while they wait for an owner to offer up their points.

But as @_auroraborealis_ stated, certain high-demand villas are already booked up for Sept. 2019. Those units are extremely limited in number and are often booked right at 8 AM and sometimes even before the 11-month window opens. If the OP is seeking to rent any of those villas, the ship sailed a long time ago.

There is a rent/trade forum on here in the DVC forum. I've never used these, but here are a few to check out from my google search.
https://www.dvc-rental.com/
https://dvcreservations.com/
https://**************.com/

I rented my honeymoon vacation points on Ebay and it all went well, but i remember being nervous about it at the time.
If you find reservations on Ebay or Redweek, they might be RCI trades and those are illegal to rent out. Those are usually seven night stays beginning either on Friday or Saturday and they are listed as a flat price, not price per point. And they will tell you that you will owe a fee to Disney when you check into the resort, usually around $190 or so. An RCI trade is a reservation that someone who owns a different timeshare (not DVC) and they trade the timeshare they own for a DVC rental on the RCI website. There are people who have lots of lots of cheap timeshares that they use only as trades and they trade either within their own timeshare company (like Hilton or Marriott) or through RCI. Then they will rent the better reservations out to pay their annual fees for the timeshares they own or maybe use the reservations themselves.

If you find reservations on Ebay or Redweek, they might be RCI trades and those are illegal to rent out. Those are usually seven night stays beginning either on Friday or Saturday and they are listed as a flat price, not price per point. And they will tell you that you will owe a fee to Disney when you check into the resort, usually around $190 or so. An RCI trade is a reservation that someone who owns a different timeshare (not DVC) and they trade the timeshare they own for a DVC rental on the RCI website. There are people who have lots of lots of cheap timeshares that they use only as trades and they trade either within their own timeshare company (like Hilton or Marriott) or through RCI. Then they will rent the better reservations out to pay their annual fees for the timeshares they own or maybe use the reservations themselves.

We rented in ebay 12 years ago. It was a here's the price for a week for a studio at beach club. Pick your week kinda thing. Probably over paid. I certainly wouldn't do it now.

The other issue with renting an illegal RCI trade is that both RCI and DVC could cancel your reservation if they find out it was rented out.

We are also going next fall and about to book with dvc-rental.com but I want to make sure this is a legit site. How can I find out if this site isn't a scam? They said they have my resort preference for our dates available. Somebody help! I want to book asap so we can secure this resort.

We are also going next fall and about to book with dvc-rental.com but I want to make sure this is a legit site. How can I find out if this site isn't a scam? They said they have my resort preference for our dates available. Somebody help! I want to book asap so we can secure this resort.
If you are the least bit wary about making a reservation, don't do it. You will do nothing by worry the entire time waiting for your trip. For your own sanity, you may just want to book with Disney directly.

The other issue with renting an illegal RCI trade is that both RCI and DVC could cancel your reservation if they find out it was rented out.

Worth mentioning that an illegal RCI trade is most likely a Saturday start, 1BR at SSR these days, with a $190 fee at check in.

If you are the least bit wary about making a reservation, don't do it. You will do nothing by worry the entire time waiting for your trip. For your own sanity, you may just want to book with Disney directly.
It's definitely worth the save in price to rent from a company. I just wanted confirmation that someone else in deed used this company and it's real. I know a couple others that I've heard others use but because this company was prompt with my response and I don't have to fork over money to get a quote, I wanted to give them a shot.

It's definitely worth the save in price to rent from a company. I just wanted confirmation that someone else in deed used this company and it's real. I know a couple others that I've heard others use but because this company was prompt with my response and I don't have to fork over money to get a quote, I wanted to give them a shot.
Sometimes you just have to go by your gut feelings.

Sometimes you just have to go by your gut feelings.
I agree. Only you can decide what you’re comfortable with. If you are worried at all I wouldn’t do the deal.
I never became comfortable with renting points. I booked directly from Disney until we purchased DVC points.

For those who own DVC or have experience booking.. how “hard” is it to get a 2 bedroom villa at BWV or BCV at the 11 month mark through one of the rental companies? I’m looking at early December (I know it’s one of the busiest times for DVC).

I’m trying to decide if I should rent through these boards from someone who owns at BWV or BCV or go through one of the rental companies. I’m worried that the companies won’t have points available from an owner st the 11 month mark and I might miss out on booking. On the other hand, renting from an individual makes me nervous with them having control over my reservation. What keeps them from cancelling my reservation and selling the points again? Is there any protection if I pay with credit card (Amex) through PayPal? My party would save close to 5k by staying in a 2 bedroom over having 2 rooms at the BC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter