DVC Pools, Pool Hopping, Etc.

I don't believe installing fences with keyed access would solve anything. We've stayed at the HHI resort and people just wait at the gate until someone uses their key to get in and follow them in. I know it could be some resort guest that forgot their key (so no bashing please), but some do not hide the fact that they are not resort quests. During our last stay at HHI only once were we asked to see our room key. We are owners at OKW and BWV and my family enjoys an occasional pool hop. Last summer we were staying at BCV and went over to BWV for a short time just to see what that pool was like.

This isn't trivial when you are a member at BWV and yet can't find a place to sit with family at the main pool because of pool hoppers. Frankl I never pool hop but it makes me mad that BC members can crowd our pool but we aren't allowed to crowd theirs. Luna Park is a cut above the average resort pool and its location makes it easy for pool hopping. Most of the time its not a problem but lately I noticed alot of people not staying t the resort using the pool and there were few good seats to be had.

Originally posted by Pa@okw95
It just shows me how far down WDW has fallen in the past years. They opened up the place to everyone when they built those value resorts.

I really don't think the 'quality' of the people who stay at those terrible Value Resorts :rolleyes: has anything to do with this problem. I have heard a number of stories about some of the people who stay in the deluxe resorts in concierge level rooms that are equally nasty and actually even more repulsive. Those people spent upwards of 400.00 a night for their rooms.

There are people who disobey or break rules in all social classes. Rude people have been around long before the Value Resorts were even even a twinkle in Mikey's eye.

We primarily have gone to WDW during the busiest times of the year... when kids were out of school... and after dozens of trips (typically 2+ weeks each) we never had a problem finding a lounge chair, or a table to use by any pool, at any resort. I am not saying that it is impossible... but I just do not find it to be a big problem.

I think that relatively few people actually pool hop... and for the most part... people pool hopping "into" your resort, are offset by people pool hopping "out of" your resort.

Even during our numerous visits to Y&BC resorts... we have only had them issue the wrist bands a few times.... most times it was trivial to pool hop into SAB if you wanted. I never seen SAB overcrowded either.

OTOH, I have seen overcrowding at certain restaurants... like Beaches and Cream... but that is just life. If it is too busy... we just come back later... or waitlist.

/Jim

I think pool hopping should be allowed, but you must use your room key to get in to any pool! That way, if you are staying on-property, you can get in. If not, too bad! As most people have said, they do not pool hop-it's not worth it if your own resort has a pool to use and it would keep non-property people out. Too many people today feel that all rules are meant to be broken, pool hopping, line cutting, etc. Whatever happened to respect and manners?

Wristbands!!! We need wristbands!!!

But IMHO, Luna Park pool is NOT worth hopping to anyway. My kids got bored with it pretty quickly. If we're gonna hop, we hop to Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon.

But give me Pool Hopping Liberty, or give me death. OK, not death. Maybe another cool perk like 50% off water parks!!!

Originally posted by Figment56
I think pool hopping should be allowed, but you must use your room key to get in to any pool! That way, if you are staying on-property, you can get in. If not, too bad! As most people have said, they do not pool hop-it's not worth it if your own resort has a pool to use and it would keep non-property people out. Too many people today feel that all rules are meant to be broken, pool hopping, line cutting, etc. Whatever happened to respect and manners?
Figment, you are DEFINITELY the voice of reason on this thread! I totally agree with that. I don't pool hop, and don't see myself ever doing it. I do think it should be a perk for those staying ON WDW PROPERTY. No "Mickey Mousing" around about WHICH resort you stay at, but do you have a current WDW reservation. Sounds perfectly fair to me.

Thanks Diane,

I think that might cut down on people just visiting! Room keys can be programmed to allow you into pools you are supposed to be in and ones you are not allowed into!

.... who do you give the room key too ? Will there be a CM walking around checking keys ? Will this require fencing in all the pools ? Does this pre-empt calling ahead to see if pool hopping is allowed ?

Why should I need to show an ID to get into a pool I'm already allowed to be in. I have no problem showing my ID to an inquiring CM on the lookout for infringing parasites.

First, the resorts need to post at all the pools, in several locations, that the pools are only intended for guests staying at that resort. Second, in the portfollio they give you when you check in, a big reminder that your neighbors pool is not intended for you. Wanna swim,swim here. And last, when off-property people are caught swimming,prosecute them. Who cares if the headlines are bad..... those headlines will keep the other parasites out.

I just bought SSR and my agent used PH as part of the sales pitch and my wife and I loved this perk. Although we will not get to go till 2005 we are looking to using the perk even though we may not get to this trip. My dw and I have no kids to push us to go to other pools we want to, try out places to eat shop etc, this was one strong selling point , also from what I can gather the people who want the perk PHing out number those who dont 50 to 1 although Im new to DVC we have been going toWDW 15 years several times a year ( should have joined years ago) I know crazy lol but back to my point Ive stayed everywhere including the dvc resorts and have never seen a pool over crowded dont blow this out of perportion but I agree that non members should obey the rules and DVC alike. I dont beleive a slide at OKW will cause the perk to be removed but in fact it should help the problem alot, now maybe most people will stay home.

***"also from what I can gather the people who want the perk PHing out number those who dont 50 to 1"***

I don't think anyone is in favor of any perk being discontinued. None of liked losing anything except weight and virginity. But I also think more of us aren't going to be upset if it does go away. I've never pool hopped. Do I like the perk-yes. Do I want to keep it- yes. Will I be upset if it goes away- disappointed maybe,but not upset.

When you use the pool at a resort, you aren't paying anything for that pool. Even if you are a guest at another Disney resort. Particularly if you aren't a guest in a Moderate or Deluxe (a case could be made for the transitive value of pool slides - although SAB is such a different animal that it throws any comparison out of whack).

Ok, according to this theory, DVC members who own OKW should not be able to pool hop to any other DVC resort because they don't pay as much maitenance fees as the other resorts.

And are you calling out value resort guests here? If I read this correctly, you are saying ESPECIALLY value resorts guests should not pool hop.

I think they should throw pool hopping out the window. Use the pool at your own resort, and that's it.

Originally posted by LisaSt
Since when does staying at a value resort make you any less of a guest than somone staying at AKL or BC or CR? I think that comment was pretty derogatory as my wife and I are DVC members and still love to stay at All Stars so does that make us less deserving no I don not think so. Get a grip as was mentioned the offenders were from AKL and BC so far from any value resort.

this OP feels that the downhill slide of the quality of WDW started with the opening of "Value resorts" Many of his posts reflect this. I guess if you are not in the social class of being able to afford $200+ a night for accomodations, you have no right to stay on Disney property, and it is these people (which by the way was US before we bought DVC) that are overflowing the parks, ect.

I agree with HUFF the PHing was a big plus for our family. We all love to swim and love the pools no matter where we are staying at Disney. If they have issues with it big deal no different than any other thing in the time share world. I find this funny that people think we should be treated better than otehr guests at WDW because we are members of DVC. Honestly they the cash paying guests should get some preferential treatment when you look at what they are spending for a vacation compared to what the vast majority of DVC members spend. Yes we paid a membership fee as it would be for this but come on to get better treatment or preferential treatment is to much. Get real folks the pools will always be used by other guests than those of us staying t that resort so should we also get rid of the water mouse rentals and so on just like the pass discounts why do we deserve them over other guests it all comes back to the we are members and we deserve it. Well no we are members but are no better than cash paying guests we just chose a different way of paying for our vacations to Disney.

Hi again! :wave: This is the original poster to this thread and I wanted to clear a few things up. First off, the BCV guests who did pool hop to Luna Park didn't bother me, it just amazed me that there were so many with SAB at their disposal. The two illegal pool hoppers did bother me, since on this particular day, the pool was out of chairs and loungers by 11AM. These people were taking space up for BWV guests who wanted to sit down, but couldn't because they were using the space. I admit I should have said something to the lifeguard, but in general don't like to make waves, so I usually don't. I in no way wanted this to become a debate about pool hopping, I just wanted to share what I thought was a funny story and post my feelings about it. I also didn't want this to become a debate about social classes or what has happened to WDW since the Values have opened. Please take that into account when posting a response to this thread.!! Thanks and now back to your regularly scheduled Dis'ing.:jester:

I bought memebership into the VWL because I love it there. I have no need to hop to another pool. Pool time is down time, time to relax. I save my to schlepping for the parks. I think discontinuing this perk may be the only way to stop everybody in Orlando using pools that are exclusively for resort guests. I don't see any reason to share this pool, these people don't share my labor that paid for me to swim there! Sorry. Maybe they can substitute another perk to replace that. Perhaps fast passes or a better discount on park passes?:earsgirl:

Exatly my point Lake Ariel you worked hard for the money to buy your membership just as others have worked hard for the money to pay cash for their Disney holiday again what makes us better or more deserving than they are nothing as I see it.

Your missing the point. We all have to live within our means. I have stayed offsite because that is all I could afford. I enjoyed my trip and wouldn't think of going to another resort to swim! I now have worked longer and INVESTED nearly $20,000 into Disney. I have prepaid for my accomodations for the next 40 years. Disney is using my money to build more resorts. I can therefore stay in a luxury resort. Every one should enjoy their hard earned wages and spend them the way they choose. I chose to do this for myself and family to enjoy the perks of a deluxe resort. If you are illegally pool hopping you need to be asked to leave. I don't expect to be able to take a nap in the Grand Floridian without paying for it. I can't expect to spend three weeks in a one bedroom at VWL because I don't have enough points. That's life.

Originally posted by LakeAriel
I bought memebership into the VWL because I love it there. I have no need to hop to another pool. Pool time is down time, time to relax. I save my to schlepping for the parks. I think discontinuing this perk may be the only way to stop everybody in Orlando using pools that are exclusively for resort guests. I don't see any reason to share this pool, these people don't share my labor that paid for me to swim there! Sorry. Maybe they can substitute another perk to replace that. Perhaps fast passes or a better discount on park passes?:earsgirl:
Unfortunately the reverse is true. Not being able to stop crashers are the reason the perk is in jeopardy. If they stop PH, they will have the same problem, it just won't be a DVC problem other than at the resort they are staying at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter