DVC Pools, Pool Hopping, Etc.

Being owners at BCV, I don't see a need to pool hop. But who knows...after we go to WDW once a year for the next 10 or 15 years, maybe we'll be interested in checking out other pools. But like others have said, we can experience those pools by staying at those resorts, or we can hit the water parks.

I think it's harmless to keep it as a perk for the once in a while people do use it.

Originally posted by Mickey527
I pool hopped once but it was so much trouble to drag the suits all over, and change out of the wet suits in the bathroom that I never did it again. It is so much easier to just go up to your room and shower before changing into clean clothing. But we wanted to check out the new Poly pool. I didn't like to, too crowded and small.
... Peggie

We never pool hop. In fact, I get kind of aggravated when the BWV pool is crowded during my stay. These pools aren't big enought to accomodate hoppers, and Disney generally does a poor job of keeping others out, since no one seems to be in charge at Luna Park Pool.

Originally posted by cubsfan
Granny -
Thanks for the great idea! On our next visit, we will do the MK in the morning, yellow monorails ( do they still call them that?) by the Poly pool in the afternoon, and then back to the park for the evening.::yes::

And I am sure not everyone showers off the theme park grime before they hop in.

I am sure YOU do, cubsfan (go Fish)

"And I am sure not everyone showers off the theme park grime before they hop in.

I am sure YOU do, cubsfan (go Fish)"

I know for certain they have standing showers at BWV.....I assume they have them at the Poly also. And what's this? a Marlins fan in Gurnee? A friend of Steve's, are ya?

Originally posted by cheyita
after we go to WDW once a year for the next 10 or 15 years, maybe we'll be interested in checking out other pools. But like others have said, we can experience those pools by staying at those resorts, or we can hit the water parks.

I think it's harmless to keep it as a perk for the once in a while people do use it.

I agree,

Our kids have been going to WDW since birth and they love to swim. We don’t spend as much time in the theme parks as we have in the past. My kids seem to enjoy WDW recreation activities like horseback riding, boating, water parks, etc.

Pool hopping is a nice way to relax and enjoy the atmosphere at other deluxe resorts. We enjoy the theme parks more, when we visit them less.

We've never done it either! I think that by the time we get to the pool in the afternoon, we're all just so happy to be off our feet!! :)

Now next trip DH will be with us. First time seeing "his investiment" since we purchased in '98. So there will be plenty of "down time" and maybe we'll check out some other pools.

Didn't think that I would use the privilege but it actually worked out well on our last trip. We stayed at VWL but my daughter (4)wanted to do Grand Adventures in Cooking at the Grand Floridian and I have a 1.5 year old son. We used the zero entry pool while my daughter was at the class - then we all swam after. The zero entry is perfect for young children. My daughter can swim under water but not tread water yet so she needs to be able to stand when she comes up. My son needs very shallow water so this way they could both use the same pool at the same time and this let me swim around them without having to hold either of them. GF has a wonderful changing house with showers, etc. - really nice! We still love the VWL pool but the zero entry definitely works better at these ages so I would pool hop again. BTW, when we were there, there were only 4 other people in the pool and I did call ahead to make sure that it was ok.

We usually combine pool hopping with having lunch at whatever resort we go to. As a DVC member, I would hate to see this perk vanish especially since I don't think that DVC members are the ones that cause over crowding at the pools.

I'm lost. I have been moving and therefore lost track of the Dis. What's all the discussion about? Has anyone at Disney said there was going to be an end to pool hopping? What's this I read, no pool hopping to SSR? Please catch me up!
Marylyn

several years ago we would PH to SAB once a trip and more recently to the Poly because of lack of a slide or any kid special water features at the OKW resorts pools. Recently, we were at BCV the week of 10/18 - 10/25 and used SAB 3 times, twice for about 2 hours and once just for a few quick trips down the slide for the 6 year old. Our kids enjoyed digging in the "sand" more than anything else. The rest of our stay we used the pool at BCV because of convenience to the room....... w/3 kids under the age of 6 we haul quite a bit of stuff to the pool.

We have never pool hopped and I don't think we ever will. I hate dragging all the junk down to the pool at our own resort, let alone another one!

Terry, it is therefore good you own at BCV, where you have access to the "best" pool to begin with! When we stay at BCV we usually never pool hop! :)

We did once to CSR and to BCV before it became restricted. We might in the future, but our DD likes the BW pool so much that we don't need to waste the time going somewhere else to swim unless we're going to another resort to eat.

Well, pool hopping for DVC members is allowed, but not allowed for other WDW guests. While staying at BWV's last week, we saw what I'll assume was MANY BCV guests (they had brought their BC refillable mugs with them) enjoying Luna Park legally. The funniest thing was TWO different people came up to either myself or DH and said, this place is GREAT!!! We should have stayed here! The person who approached me was staying at AKL, and wasn't even hiding it, since she was drinking out of her AKL mug. The person who approached was even funnier. We were waiting for our kids to come down Keister Coaster. Well, after this person got off the slide, he approached my DH and asked, "What is the name of this hotel, it's GREAT!" He didn't even take the time to figure out what the name of the hotel, he was using the pool at. It was pretty funny. Even though I felt like I should report them to the lifeguard, I didn't feel like being a tattletale. It was pretty funny, and I think I'll send an e-mail to MS to alert them to this and hopefully they'll follow up with BWV and tell them to check at all, for ID's. The pool was fairly crowded on these days, with no more pool chairs or tables available. There were signs up all week, stating that Luna Park was for the exclusive use of Boardwalk guests.

It just shows me how far down WDW has fallen in the past years. They opened up the place to everyone when they built those value resorts. People should know better but they do not of course. Pools are only for the guests of that hotel-resort, some people just do not care. They should end pool hopping and put a fense around all the pools with a key needed to enter.

Have to agree with this one. Surely Disney could come up with a way to give fencing a wonderful themed look. Then you would need your room key to enter. I really don't think that many DVCers actually pool-hop, so it wouldn't be so awful if they ended that perk.

I think the wrist bands would do. Show your room key or DVC membership card and get a wrist band.

Originally posted by Pa@okw95
They opened up the place to everyone when they built those value resorts.

The OP reported hoppers from BC and AKL, which, last time I checked, are not value resorts.

Wrist bands would be great!!!! While we haven't hopped as yet, it's a great perk. It's also quite enjoyable, at the pool, to discuss DVC resorts with other members. :wave:

Heck, if you're not happy with the level of exclusivity, I'd be glad to buy your points. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter