DVC Poll

Do you wish you purchased your points earlier? Do you wish you purchased more points?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If we could do over, there would be lots of changes....different use year,buy a liittle earlier, different resort, smaller contract (easier to split with the kids) and resell (when we bought we had no idea of resale).

But number of points would stay about the same, as most 50 points more. This year we are doing a big trip, 12 people - 2 bedroom and a studio, roughly 450 in Dec. We have 300, so most of the time that number works, but sometimes we need to rent about a 100 or so points.

But overall, I know we would never go to disney and say sure, let's stay at AKL and spend $500 a night, All stars is good enough to stay. Buying into DVC, "forced " us into enjoying the resorts.

Voted for wish we’d purchased more. My family sort of stumbled into DVC very early in the process. In fact, we ended up getting the pitch right before Boardwalk Villas opened and we just kind of randomly ended up hearing the pitch. At the time, knew nothing about DVC or the Boardwalk. Long story short, we ended up purchasing 150 points at the introductory rate. It was a good chunk of change at the time but obviously WAY less than what it costs now. It was one of those “not sure we should be doing this so let’s dip our toes in the water and see how it is” purchases. I wish we’d dived right into the deep end and bought something closer to 300 at the time.
This sounds like us. Honestly, we did everything we weren't *supposed* to do. We stumbled upon it. Left our 4 year-old daughter in the kids play area for a couple of hours to talk to the guide about this thing we had never heard of, had not fully researched. We financed the initial purchase (paid off fairly quickly, but still not the most prudent thing to do). But we just *happened* to be there when they were selling Bay Lake and it's definitely our favorite. When people give advice here for those that are getting their feet wet, I just sort of hide in the corner as I did everything "wrong". But I'm so glad we bought where and when we did. We got lucky.

We bought at the right time for us. Buying earlier would have created a financial crisis where we would not had the money to do important things - like adopt our son - or created stress when facing job loss. We bought the right number of points for us, if anything, we have too many points.

I wish we would have bought sooner. My oldest was already 16 when we purchased in 2010.

I also wish we could have afforded a 100 more points. We only have 200 points and that’s the way it will probably stay. 2 in college and renovating a new older home.

We are looking forward to a big family trip to Aulani in 2020 or 2021.

My one regret is that we only bought 40 VGF points, for when we want to stay there, 80 would have been better.

I wish we had looked into DVC a bit more when we were on our honeymoon in 1996 and BWV was new. We thought that we wouldn't use it enough to make it worthwhile. Boy were we wrong. Points were probably 1/3 of what they are now as well.

I wish I had bought sooner, especially before the restrictions.

I'm glad my first contract was a smallish one. We bought 130 points at SSR mostly based on the value of that resort (low fees, cheaper cost per point up front). This year we bought another small contract at BWV because it's where we would love to stay. Had we purchased more the first time around, we would not have been able to buy a second contract this year. On the other hand, our new contract cannot be used for newer resorts, so it is more restricted.

I’m in the boat of wishing we bought sooner. I didn’t know about DVC until about 2008 and I tried to talk my husband into it. At the time we were stationed in Alaska (military family) and he said we didn’t go enough to use it. A few years later we were stationed in Kentucky and I would take my son for two weeks every year in October staying at the Shades of Green.

In 2015 I made a command decision (husband was not happy about it) and bought 170 points at the BWV. He ended up loving it so much that we have added on twice since then. 200 points at SSR and 50 points at CCV. When we run out of points we just stay a few nights at the SoG.

I voted that we wished I we had purchased earlier and bought more points. However, I don't believe in taking a vacation that you cannot afford to pay off the credit card when you get home. And that includes buying DVC. A vacation is not a necessity, it is a "I want". So waiting made sense to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter