DVC Points

Heather1979 said:
I mean, if the DVC member backs out (at least according to the contract) they don't get paid. (The 3rd party holds the cash heading to the owner until the renter checks in). So really, there isn't anything for the owner to gain if they cancelled it. Just reading all the fine print when we rented was enough to cure this skeptic of any hesitation in the point rental process. It's going to be tough to justify NOT renting points anymore though!

Yeah, reading over the contract made me feel less skeptical as well. I already told BF that if we honeymoon at WDW we are renting points to get a savannah view at AKL. That is his dream stay, and renting points is the only way we would ever be able to afford it.

The biggest drawback for us (when we are traveling with his parents at least) is the no smoking on the balconies thing. His mom doesn't mind going outside but I'm not sure she would want to walk too far to be able to smoke. I personally find that rule delightful, but like I said, not so sure how she will feel about it.

The biggest drawback for us (when we are traveling with his parents at least) is the no smoking on the balconies thing. His mom doesn't mind going outside but I'm not sure she would want to walk too far to be able to smoke. I personally find that rule delightful, but like I said, not so sure how she will feel about it.

there is no smoking on any of the balconies at WDW and the fine is (or was) $500.

I didn't read this whole thread but here's my 2 cents on the topic. This Oct will be our 6th week-long stay at the BoardWalk on DVC points rented from DISers we found here. This rental is the third from the same fine lady as the last two, the previous three involved two separate owners. Never a problem, never a glitch, and we've stayed in a standard view studio with kitchenette and WIFI for the same or LESS than a Value would cost. The last few times we'd ask if the DVC member had points to rent as soon as we got back from vacation as the BW tends to sell out quickly, especially during Food&Wine, so we commit 11 months in advance. This works fine for us, we pay half the fee up front, the rest a few months prior to the trip and we have 11 months to get the park passes, rental car, airfare etc.

Bill From PA

spiceycat said:
there is no smoking on any of the balconies at WDW and the fine is (or was) $500.

She has only ever stayed on the ground floor of the value resorts, so she just steps outside to smoke. I felt like half the trip was spent either listening to her get in trouble for smoking where she shouldn't be or waiting for her to be done smoking! I will NOT let her to do it on the balcony if we stay in a room that has one. I really wish it wasnt an issue at all but she is awesome and we both enjoy each others company, which can be rare in a MIL type situation, so I don't complain..

We were considering it for our upcoming trip - I am guessing at this point there would be very little, if anything, available for the end of May?

The end of May (and into early June) includes Memorial Day (some schools are out by then) and Gay Days which can bring lots of crowds to the theme parks according to their schedule. But you don't know if you don't try.

Not to hijack this thread but I had a few questions and not sure where to post it!

I'm thinking about renting points (first time) for end of Sept/early Oct 2014 (yes I am a super pre-planner!). Thinking BLT, BCV, or BWI 1 bedroom. What would be the timeline to request and still get a location I want (I have read and am aware of the 11/7mo booking as the earliest). I just worry about booking too early in case something came up and of course flights. Also want to know what the F&W dates will be for 2014 a we are hoping to get in on it hence early Oct.

Also, I know there are no cancellations so what is something were to happen (hopefully not but I like to know my options)? Could I find someone else to buy my reservation or would I just be out all the money?

Thanks in advance :)

Also, I know there are no cancellations so what is something were to happen (hopefully not but I like to know my options)? Could I find someone else to buy my reservation or would I just be out all the money?

Thanks in advance :)

Trip insurance is your friend.:thumbsup2

Thank you for the response! I have never purchased trip insurance before (usually it was offered with our vacation packages). Are there specific websites that offer trip insurance without purchasing a package through them?

:cool1: Rented points from Davids .. Yes they are a little more expensive ( maybe by $2 a point but I still saved over $1,000 ) but I just wanted to deal with a company . My own issue .. We are there during Food and Wine as well as the first weekend ( WE HOPE ) of MVMCP ! I got us a AKL Studio for 4 adults .. Yes we know it is a pull out bed but we have stayed at the all stars for just as much as renting these points ! And they are the same pull out beds in the Studio / Suites . Davids was great and I do have the reservation in my name and it is on line already ! I can not wait for NOV to come !! :yay: If you are thinking of points and want to deal with a company as I did I say use David :thumbsup2

I had a great experience renting points last May through The Timeshare Store.
Rented a studio at OKW. Loved it! Saved around $1,200. Would do it again.

We just rented from David's service for the first time. We are going the 3rd week in October 2013. There was availability at the resort we wanted, but no one with points available. Within two days, he found someone with the points and we are booked.

Couldn't be happier with the process to this point. Good luck!

Has anyone had any negative experiences renting DVC points? We would really like ot be in a villa next November and renting points is so much more affordable but I have never done it before. Your thoughts on renting?

We have rented DVC points for over 16 years and it's always been a positive experience. With 3 kids and lot's of expenses it's just what worked out for us and we always feel the love in the "welcome home" every year. It does require some flexibility and planning but, that's half the fun of our vacations. Good luck!

I think I must be "calculating" something wrong. I have never rented DVC points either - but would like to look into it. However, when I look at the prices from the DVC calculator, it seems almost the same price as the room.

What am I looking at incorrectly?

What's the CORRECT process for "figuring out" a price of a stay?

I just put in my dates then hover over the points to get the price. If you went on the Disney website and priced out a trip for the same resort it would be way more

I just put in my dates then hover over the points to get the price. If you went on the Disney website and priced out a trip for the same resort it would be way more

Exactly WHERE are you doing this? I'm serious when I say I don't have the first clue where to start on this project.

I wanted 2 days in October after a cruise. I was able to rent points through the Timeshare Store as they did not have a minimum number of points. I got AKV standard studio for $12 a point. Not much more than a standard room at AofA resort. Looking forward to trying out a DVC resort.

Go to dvcrequest.com then click on points calculator (left hand side) input your dates and then it will give you all the options for the different resorts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!