DVC Point Rental Primer

Great info!

A question- I'm not a member, but the last time I rented points, I called member services myself to set up DME. Have they changed this to where the actual member has to call now?

Poly Princess - Non-members can no longer call MS. Whoever you rent the points from has to call in any requests such as ME.

Cyn

Thanks for the post. As a newbie (may be renting points and keeping my fingers crossed) it was most helpful.
Angela in TN

OK, a few more that I didn't see -

Renting points is not a good value to stay at non-DVC resorts or cruise. Its cheaper to pay CRO rates most of the time.

DVC units are different than CRO units - most DVC studios have a queen bed and a full(?) pullout. Only OKW has studios with two queen beds. Housekeeping does not come by every day with fresh towels and to make your bed.

DVC rooms tend to book fairly quickly - and your entire reservation will be seen as "one reservation." This means that changes like "we want to stay an extra night" or "we'd like to drop one night" are not giong to be as easy as they would be with a CRO room (particularly the extra night). As said in the paragraph on cancellation, renting points is best for people who have firm plans - this is another reason why.

Edited for one other:

Because of the cancellation policies, renting DVC points for a big family reunion where you pay out of pocket for all the points and your brother in law, mother, cousin, and Aunt Sue are all going to reimburse you later for their room is a recipe for a big fight at Christmastime when Aunt Sue decides she can't go and won't reimburse you for the deposit. If you are doing a family thing using points, make everyone take care of their own reservations so you aren't holding the bag in the end. If you are the "central reservationist" for the family, I'd really (really, really, really) recommend CRO reservations for this - this isn't the time to find out that your wonderful family isn't perfect.

Great thread. I learned enough to be comfortable renting points in the future. Wished I'd have found this site before I book my current resevervation!

I have just encountered the fact that member services won't speak to me and wanted to check on something. How do you check in? What is required? I'm concerned that I'll be required to provide a member number (which I don't have).

I understand that our DVC member has to reserve the dining plan for us but that we pay when we arrive. Is that correct?

Also, can we make our own dining reservations (through the Disney dine number rather than the DVC member services number) or do we have to ask the member to do that? The reservation is in my name.

Thanks for all the great advice!

I have just encountered the fact that member services won't speak to me and wanted to check on something. How do you check in? What is required? I'm concerned that I'll be required to provide a member number (which I don't have).

I understand that our DVC member has to reserve the dining plan for us but that we pay when we arrive. Is that correct?

Also, can we make our own dining reservations (through the Disney dine number rather than the DVC member services number) or do we have to ask the member to do that? The reservation is in my name.

Thanks for all the great advice!

We rented points last year and are now owners! You will not need a member number to check in. Just the usual ID and credit card if you want to use your key as a card.

You will pay for the dining plan when you arrive as long as the member has added it to your reservation.

You can make your own dining reservations through the Disney dining number.

Have a great trip!:goodvibes

I have just encountered the fact that member services won't speak to me and wanted to check on something.
Right. That changed last year -- I think about August 1.
Yes, but don't wait until the last minute to spring this idea on the owner. You don't want to put yourself in a position where you need something and they go on vacation and are unavailable. As soon as you know you want DDP, get them to call MS for you.
As noted above, you do that. Since you are staying onsite, you can make advance dining reservations (called ADRs) 180 + 10, which means 180 days from your arrival, and for up to ten days after your arrival. Be sure to make your ADRs early. You can always cancel, and if your dining plans change, you can always call back and modify things (subject to availability).

But don't leave ADRs to the last minute. If you call 60-90 days out, you may have very few options if any. The DDP board currently has several threads by folks going during free dining in September who can't get any decent ADRs. Don't let that happen to you.

does anyone have a link to current points needed per night at AKV? I am looking to rent points for a studio in February and am having trouble finding out how many points I would need to rent.

does anyone have a link to current points needed per night at AKV? I am looking to rent points for a studio in February and am having trouble finding out how many points I would need to rent.
Be careful looking at the charts. You'll see point values for Value and Standard rooms, but I don't think any are available yet. Also note that, since there aren't that many AKL rooms yet, getting a reservation for February might be tough.

It's great to hear this type of advice from experienced rentees. I rented for the first time and like some of the posts said, spoke with renters via phone as well as emailed. I kept them informed every step of the way and found they were enormously appreciative of that.
I was very skeptical that they would not pay and that I would be left in the cold, but it worked out for the best.
One even sent very happy pictures of her trip.
Keep on posting this type of advice as it's so important.
Thank you,
pat
::MinnieMo

One thing we have done as rentees is to offer the pointowner-renter an absolutely-no-refund-no-cancellation-after-payment agreement, as long as the renter will agree to at least change the name on the reservation for us, for an extra very small payment ($20-50, depending on if we also ask for another resort check), if we request it. This may be standard with many pointowner-renters, I don't know. We always agree to pay in full at least 90 days from the reservation start (if it's not a last minute deal), and usually pay in full upon receipt of the original DVC confirmation letter. Thus if something major comes up, we can try to "rerent" the reservation to cut our losses, and the pointowner doesn't ever have to worry about refunds or rerenting/banking/losing points, etc. , he/she just agrees to a little extra phone time and the postage to mail the new confirmation to us.

I do not understand what "change the name on the reservation" means?

I do not understand what "change the name on the reservation" means?

My guess is that the PP was talking about reserving the ability to adjust who goes. Say you've got a family of 4 planning but one is a teenager who doesn't want to miss a big dance so they aren't going to come. But then, 2 weeks before the trip something changes and they are coming. They won't get a room key or access to the resort unless their name is added to the reservation.

I think they are talking about subletting.

You rent and need to cancel. Your landlord can't cancel without functionally losing their points, but they will allow YOU to rerent your reservation and they'll change the name on the reservation for you (which only the owner can do).

I think they are talking about subletting.

You rent and need to cancel. Your landlord can't cancel without functionally losing their points, but they will allow YOU to rerent your reservation and they'll change the name on the reservation for you (which only the owner can do).

Okay, that too. Both situations would be covered by a clause that allows for a name change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!