DVC Golfer questions

disneydawn

Mouseketeer
DVC Silver
We just decided to add a trip to OKW over Memorial Day week with our neighbors. The men want to golf...of course! Do we get a discount? Also where is the best place to golf? I know there a number of courses. Any good deals? We will be there Sunday through Friday. This is new to me since I do not golf at all. Thanks for the help!

DVC has a golf membership that you can buy. It last for 1 year and the prices are alot cheaper. The only drawback is you have to golf after 10am. Only one person has to buy the membership and 4 people can golf on it for that price. I am not sure of the cost, but when we did it last year it payed for itself with just playing one time. You need to find out what the rates are when you are there, because it changes depending on the time of year. If you want to play later in the day prices are cheaper without the membership. As for which course to play you can take your pick. They are all great golf courses. I'm sure someone else here will be able to explain this a little better than I did. Have fun.

Disneydawn, see you there! That's the same week we'll be at OKW, and DH and DS#1 will be playing golf nearly every day. The DVC golf badge costs $85+tax. With it, you and up to 3 guests can golf after 10:00am for $35 per round per person, including golf cart. If you're staying at OKW, you have to play LBV. Not only is it a beautiful course, it's so much fun to then go back to OKW and be able to say, "On that hole over there...." DH thought Osprey Ridge was the nicest of those he's played, but he hasn't done either Palm or Magnolia. It was real hot when he went, but he said the courses have lots of water available.
Remember, for that time of year, you can make tee times up to 90 days in advance. And the golf badge doesn't "activate" until the day you play-it's good for one year from that day.

After May 22 you can get price slice prices for about the same as the DVC club card and save the $85. This has the same play restrictions for tee times after 10 a.m. May want to figure savings both ways and decide.

WDW has 5 18-hole courses, Palm, Magnolia, Osprey Ridge, Eagle Pines and Lake Buena Vista. DVC member golf discount card costs about $91 (tax included; it is $85 plus a 6.5% tax). You buy it at one of the clubhouses when you show up for a round. It is good for a year. Member then pays a discounted price for a round and can bring three guests who also get discounted price. It is good only for rounds after 10. Real issue with buying the card is that you need enough play in the year's time so that total discounts you get per round exceed the actual cost of buying the DVC card.

For the time you are going the following applies:

1. Regular rates before 10 are in the $75 to $110 range.

2. Regular rates (called price-slice rates) after 10 are $45 for Palm, Magnolia, and LBV; $55 for Eagle Pines and $60 for Osprey (Osprey is by far the most impressive course there).

3. DVC disounted price for those after 10 rounds will be $35 for any of those courses.

4. Thus, to compare prices and actual discount what you need to estimate is how many rounds you will play and where. Key to buying card is that you need to make up the $91 price with total discounts you eventually get. For example, if two players play three rounds each at Palm (and don't come back for over a year) , the card is a mistake because the total discount off regular price for those 6 total playing rounds is only $60 and does not make up for the cost of the DVC card. However, if all those same rounds are played at Osprey, total discount amount equals $150 and thus the card would be worth the money.

During other seasons you pay more per orund with the DVC discount -- $50 for Oct to Jan and $95 for Jan to April. However, actual amount saved per round is significantly higher than summer during those seasons because regular rates are much higher, e.g., in Jan to April, Osprey is $165 for rounds most of the day and thus your after 10 DVC discount is $70 for one round.

Note that Annual Passholders and Disney Club members can get a discount (believe it is now 20%) off of regular price and that can be used for before 10 a.m. rounds and does not require buying any special golf card.

There are also a lot of off-site courses which are usually low cost that time of year (others can speak better to those).

As to the Disney courses, Osprey and Palm are the most difficult, LBV the easiest, but none is overly difficult or easy. Magnolia is the longest and has the widest fairways (Palm the narrowest); Eagle Pines is the shortest but it is a lot of "target" golf with lots of trouble around the greens. All the courses are good to play and kept in excellent shape. Osprey has the most memorable holes including two of the best finishing holes anywhere. Palm and Magnolia are used for the annual PGA tournament in October (Magnolia has the Mickey shaped sand trap on the No. 6 hole that appears in ads for the courses). The courses drain rain fairly well but LBV is the slowest to do so and thus can be the worst to play right after heavy storms. You can call to reserve times up to 90 days in advance 1-407-WDW-GOLF (if you call a month before it is usually very easy to get anything you want and then still very easy to get after noon times even if you call the morning of).

If you have an annual pass, you can get a good discount alot of times even before 10am! I don't have the details in front of me but I did make it a point to use that discount when I visit in May since the Disney Club discount is valid after 10am during that time. This is if you don't want to go the with the DVC badge. Happy golfing!

When you mentioned LBV not draining too well after rain, it reminded me of a funny experience DH had last June there. In mid-June, as some may remember, it rained almost non-stop. The day he golfed at LBV, the pro shop told him "Because of all the rain, we're under a snake advisory-they're all coming out-so be careful!" That's when DH realized why I don't golf. It wouldn't have been so funny if he'd seen one though!

In my opinion Osprey is by far the nicest course. I have played all but Magnolia. I dont care for LBV at all. It depends what your are looking for in the course. Drusba summed them up pretty well.I have the badge because I will play al least 5 rounds with 3 guests over the year time. But then again any day on a golf course and not working regardless of the course is a good day.
Enjoy...

Golfnut

Just one comment to add on drainage - I played LBV, Magnolia and Palm this past fall on consecutive days and each day had a heavy shower lasting 45 or so just about the time I hit the back nine. I would rate Magnolia as the worst for drainage followed by Palm and then LBV. My socks were black from the mud kicked up hitting irons off the waterlogged fairways into the greens on Magnolia. Palm was a little better, but not much. LBV seemed to have a sandier base under the turf so the kick-up was less muddy. I have to agree with the assessment of Osprey as the most challenging overall. Enjoy your golf!!

Last year I made two golf only trips, with several other regular vacations which included golf. I have played all the courses and all are enjoyable. Here are my favorites:

The Most Scenic... Palm with all the Flowers and Palm Trees

The Most Challenging.... Osprey Ridge (Good Scenic Too)

The Most Fun.... Eagle Pines

The Best Clubhouse.... Bonnet Creek (Eagle Pine and Osprey Ridge)

Remember the DVC golf membership is for 1 year.. so you can use it next time...?

DisneyDawn, have your husband check-in his clubs for the whole week. Whenever he plays, they will have them on his cart and ready to go at tee time! They also will clean his clubs and shoes and store them. He will never have to bring to or from the room. If you have futher questions ( ref. Golf) just let me know.

I was wondering if there is a charge for them to store your clubs? Do they transport them from one course to another?

They will transport your clubs, shoes and even travel cases for FREE, they will be waiting for you when you go to tee off. You should always tip them, as I think this is appreciated. I have done this on several different occaisions, its always first class.

We go in May and have just tried to book with the DVC badge at 90days and did I get some bad news!!!!!!
Palm is closed from May to Oct 1st due to refurbishment(we were hoping to play this course twice)Osprey is closed May 5th thro May 15th.........yes that's right,we fly home on the 15th.
so we have booked LBV,Magnolia and Eagle pines but will now look to play 2 games elsewhere,we may look at celebration unless someone out there has some other courses with good rates we should look at.

Depends on how close you want to stay to Orlando. About two years ago, DH and I played Wildwoods and loved it. Very affordable rates for top-notch courses. Has 2 Tom Fazio designed courses. One is a remake of Pine Valley and other is a remake of Augusta National. We only played one because the other was being worked on. Can't remember the name of the town. It's about a 2 hour drive northwest of Orlando, due straight of Tampa. We also played Southern Dunes in Haines City, just south of Celebration. I thought the houses were too close to the course there and didn't like it nearly as well. We haven't played Celebration, but plan to someday. We drove north of Orlando when we were there in December and saw a golf course from the interstate that looked really nice. I don't know what the name of it is. It was about halfway between Orlando and Mt. Dora. We thought we'd try to find information on that before our next trip. Anyone with info on that?

"Wildwoods" is World Woods Golf located near the town of Brooksville, FL. Pine Barrens course is similar to Pine Valley and Rolling Oaks has a few similarities to Augusta. They are both utterly fantastic course, but Pine Barrens is amazing. It has consistently been rated as one of the top 10 courses available to the public since it opened about 10 years ago. Best of all the green fees are dirt cheap. World Woods is golf only, no houses, hotels etc. If you have a chance, play it. It is a golfer's heaven! Here's their web site: www.worldwoods.com.
Steve in Iowa

Thanks for correcting me, Steve! I must have been more tired than I thought last night.

We played the Pine Barrens Course and it is beautiful. Nice to see no houses. And the green fees are unbelievabley low.

Now, on the otherhand if you want to pay more, you can drive up to World Golf Village in St. Augustine and play the King and the Bear. The entire development is beautiful. There's a large PGA tour store there, as well as Murray Brothers (Bill Murray & brothers pub/grill) and Sam Sneed's (bar and steakhouse).

There is also Oak Trail - the nine hole "walking" course.

I haven't played it. Its suppose to be for beginning golfers. For someone with a moderate handicap that needs to warm up for the more difficult courses, it may be a good place to start.

Does anyone know the rates with a DVC membership from September 30, 2003 - December 31, 2003? The rates on the DVC website end at Sept 30, 2003. We're making a trip with another family in October and it might be nice to play a round of golf.

Thanks in advance for your help,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter