DVC/Disney has lost the Magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he is living 2 hours from Disney at a college I am guessing it is a FL college- with his college ID he can get a FL AP which is only about $10 more than a DVC AP.

Actually the Florida AP is now $20 cheaper than the DVC AP. He could also consider a Florida Seasonal Pass.

If he is living 2 hours from Disney at a college I am guessing it is a FL college- with his college ID he can get a FL AP which is only about $10 more than a DVC AP.

Premium Fl resident pass it $489 and the regular one is $369. How much is it for DVC members? Is it exactly $100 off the regular price? If so the Fl resident price is actually better.

It appears I was correct.

I just got off the phone from a member of the Executive Team with DVC. Disney guidelines allow for children of members who are High School/College age that are not with the Parent/Member to receive the discount. This is not uncommon and has been done before.

He was very surprised that 2 member service agents quoted the rules incorrectly to me and he is going to speak with member service manager about her comments as well. He stated that as long as the address on the ID is the same as the member they would accept that as proof. In fact, that the reservation with our son's name and our name and address on it should have been enough for guest services as long as his ID matched up with this information.

He wrote up a Guest Service Ticket and provided me the number to give my son for any guest service agent to pull and provide him a DVC Annual Pass.

It appears that Member Service agents and Managers needs some more training........It is a shame that they were more concerned about arguing than actually putting me on hold and looking up the guidelines that provided me the perk that I was actually due our family.

It is a shame that we can not critique DVC here without being attacked for our criticism. DVC is not beyond making a mistake and neither am I but there has to be some consideration each other.

I do not know what other information I could have provide the Member Service Agents other than what I provided. Son going down on our points (so a disney representative checks his license upon check in), the reservation is in his name using our points (we approved of him using our membership) and a legal Identification card that is over 4 years old shows his legal address to be the same as our membership. The last name, the address and the reservation should have been enough. I asked the DVC what more could I have provided the agent to succeed ? Nothing......was his comment.

So at the end of the day.....No one in my family is cheating anything out of anyone. We got the "perk" that was due us.

It appears that Member Service agents and Managers needs some more training........It is a shame that they were more concerned about arguing than actually putting me on hold and looking up the guidelines that provided me the perk that I was actually due our family.

Glad to see that it finally worked out for you. Obviously we all need to be vigilant in letting DVC know what is right as well as what is going wrong with DVC. This could happen to any of us. Apparently these MS agents and Managers slept through their Traditions Training.

Well I for one feel your frustration. I don't think for a second that you are trying to cheat Disney. Sounds like to me that your son is not living at home (possibly off at college) in which case I totally think he should still be entitled to the benefit of a DVC annual pass. I dont' think it is cheating at all and I am sorry that a DVC member made you feel that way. Now rules are rules, so if the rules state that the member must be there for the transaction then that is a frustrating situation for you with older children. I agree that there must be a way around this rule, possibly by buying online. I hope you get it worked out. And I don't think you should sell your membership because of a few bad customer service issues. Only if you feel that the vacations you take at Disney are not enjoyable anymore. I sure hope you don't sell your membership because of some kneejerk reaction to frustration (understandable as it may be). Take a deep breath and think it through. I know things aren't as they once were but unfortunately there is going to be change in the many years we own a DVC membership. In fact my guess is that you were an owner prior to when they had DVC annual Pass discounts. So some things have changed for the good!

Hang in there. I really hope you get it worked out. I understand your frustration!:grouphug:

Thank you for the supportive words and seeing what I was trying to relate. No one was cheating anyone.

I have been going since 1971 and Disney was great until 1998 and then it started to go down in my opinion. While prices were a little higher than most parks I never minded paying for it. Pricing for ticket media has just become unreasonable. Proof is that in a bad economy they raised prices.....Maybe it is the internet that caused the problems. Every time something seemed like a great deal or value Disney comes along and changes it so it is not a great deal or value.

I remember my grandparents taking us as small kids and them only having to pay an entrance fee( I think $ 3.00). They bought us the ticket books. They did not ride the rides except for the occasional A, B or C event and then they would go buy an individual ticket if they wanted to join us. They spoiled us rotten with souvenirs and treats. They spent time with us and it was enjoyable for them and the spent money without being forced. If today's ticket media was in place.....they would have never went.

Thanks Again! BTW, we are still having the discussion about selling tonight.

OP, I am late on this thread, but glad to see that it is resolved.

It is a shame that we can not critique DVC here without being attacked for our criticism. DVC is not beyond making a mistake and neither am I but there has to be some consideration each other.

Amen.

How do I know that the magic is lost? I no longer use my Disney Visa. I could care less whether or not I earn Disney money.

But I still have a great fondness for a thread that I belong to.:love:

OP - I'm late to this thread also but am happy that things worked out. Of course a college student still claims your address as their own so that's not even a question. Too often people have gotten so suspicious of scams trying to be run that they overlook legitimate issues and spend too much time trying to police when they could try and help.

I seem to be following you around to threads today Muushka! :wave2: Where did you go next? lol

It appears I was correct.

I just got off the phone from a member of the Executive Team with DVC. Disney guidelines allow for children of members who are High School/College age that are not with the Parent/Member to receive the discount. This is not uncommon and has been done before.

He was very surprised that 2 member service agents quoted the rules incorrectly to me and he is going to speak with member service manager about her comments as well. He stated that as long as the address on the ID is the same as the member they would accept that as proof. In fact, that the reservation with our son's name and our name and address on it should have been enough for guest services as long as his ID matched up with this information.

He wrote up a Guest Service Ticket and provided me the number to give my son for any guest service agent to pull and provide him a DVC Annual Pass.

I do not know what other information I could have provide the Member Service Agents other than what I provided. Son going down on our points (so a disney representative checks his license upon check in), the reservation is in his name using our points (we approved of him using our membership) and a legal Identification card that is over 4 years old shows his legal address to be the same as our membership. The last name, the address and the reservation should have been enough. I asked the DVC what more could I have provided the agent to succeed ? Nothing......was his comment.

So at the end of the day.....No one in my family is cheating anything out of anyone. We got the "perk" that was due us.

Personally I never questioned whether your son was eligible...the question is whether you are able to comply with Disney's chosen method of administering this perk. As dmoore22 quoted above, the language specifically states that "Members must present their DVC Member ID Card, and if applicable, proof of Florida residency, and all adults (ages 18 and up) must present a valid driver’s license or state identification card showing they reside in the same household."

The idea is that only members who are listed on the deed, and their immediate families living in the same household, can obtain the discount. Guest Relations agents do not have the ability to access name and address information from DVC deeds. Therefore, the method chosen to identify members is by their presenting a DVC member ID card and driver's license. Adult dependents are identified by presenting a photo ID which matches the address on the member's ID.

There is no mechanism in place to confirm eligibility of a dependent child who visits without a member parent.

If the exec opened a Guest Service Ticket, your son probably will not have issues this time. Although I would still recommend bringing a copy of parent's DVC Member ID and Driver's License....just in case.

But frankly I'll be surprised if they truly do determine that Member Services was incorrect. What MS told you complies with DVC's written guidelines for the AP discount program. I've heard of many other people questioning DVC on this same issue over the years and the answer seems to consistently be that a member must be present.

If they want to alter the guidelines, so be it. But as the rules stand today, the exec you spoke with is incorrect and Member Services was right.

If you want to address the problem once and for all, I'd consider altering your deed to include your son. It will cost you a couple hundred dollars but then he will get his own Member ID card and be eligible for all of the perks and discounts to which members are entitled.

Most folks on this board have made a large financial and emotional investment in Disney and DVC. Criticizing Disney indirectly criticizes their (our)decision to be members. I think it's a natural response to get a little defensive. Plus, unfortunately we hear more and more of people trying to abuse the system, and your original post was a litlle fuzzy on what you were trying to do. Don't read too much into it.

Glad your situation all worked out for you. Sounds to me like you have had other bad experiences though, if you are willing to sell your membership over it. Hope your son has a great trip and Disney does something to win your confidence back.

If the exec opened a Guest Service Ticket, your son probably will not have issues this time. Although I would still recommend bringing a copy of parent's DVC Member ID and Driver's License....just in case.

But frankly I'll be surprised if they truly do determine that Member Services was incorrect. What MS told you complies with DVC's written guidelines for the AP discount program. I've heard of many other people questioning DVC on this same issue over the years and the answer seems to consistently be that a member must be present.

If they want to alter the guidelines, so be it. But as the rules stand today, the exec you spoke with is incorrect and Member Services was right.

If you want to address the problem once and for all, I'd consider altering your deed to include your son. It will cost you a couple hundred dollars but then he will get his own Member ID card and be eligible for all of the perks and discounts to which members are entitled.

The Executive Team agent told me the staff was wrong. They have guidelines to deal with such events and it such have been handled better. T One member service agent told me that no one but the actual member would receive the discount no kids, no associates.....no one but the actual deed member. That was a incorrect statement that I read the actual rule back to the agent from the DVC member website and she told that I was still wrong. If Disney would be reasonable and found a way that we can confirm that our family members are who we say they are then I would not have to spend $ 400 to receive a discount. The fact is WDW should provide DVC members the same discount it gives someone who does nothing but live in FL.

OP - I'm late to this thread also but am happy that things worked out. Of course a college student still claims your address as their own so that's not even a question. Too often people have gotten so suspicious of scams trying to be run that they overlook legitimate issues and spend too much time trying to police when they could try and help.

I seem to be following you around to threads today Muushka! :wave2: Where did you go next? lol

Housework! Do you want the living room or the kitchen???:goodvibes

Most folks on this board have made a large financial and emotional investment in Disney and DVC. Criticizing Disney indirectly criticizes their (our)decision to be members. I think it's a natural response to get a little defensive. Plus, unfortunately we hear more and more of people trying to abuse the system, and your original post was a litlle fuzzy on what you were trying to do. Don't read too much into it.

Glad your situation all worked out for you. Sounds to me like you have had other bad experiences though, if you are willing to sell your membership over it. Hope your son has a great trip and Disney does something to win your confidence back.

I read an article in a Florida Paper( maybe the Orlando Sentinel) 10 or so years ago that compared Disney to a religion. It was very interesting how the writer compared Walt to God, Mickey to Jesus, Disney World as a Mecca or Heaven that nothing went wrong and no evils existed. I wish I could find it because it did show how some of the followers are almost a cult like.

I have to admit that people can be blinded or look the other way when Disney does bad or something wrong. The fuzziness in the original post comes from 4 back surgeries, oxycontin and a morphine pump that is implanted in me. Sometimes, I don't type what I think. Hence, why my wife and I are not at WDW with our college age son who lives in GA and goes to school in NC but was in Ocala when I started this thread. All I was trying to do was make his life easier by calling MS for clarification and all they did was not do their job properly and aggravate.

I read an article in a Florida Paper( maybe the Orlando Sentinel) 10 or so years ago that compared Disney to a religion. It was very interesting how the writer compared Walt to God, Mickey to Jesus, Disney World as a Mecca or Heaven that nothing went wrong and no evils existed. I wish I could find it because it did show how some of the followers are almost a cult like.

I have to admit that people can be blinded or look the other way when Disney does bad or something wrong. The fuzziness in the original post comes from 4 back surgeries, oxycontin and a morphine pump that is implanted in me. Sometimes, I don't type what I think. Hence, why my wife and I are not at WDW with our college age son who lives in GA and goes to school in NC but was in Ocala when I started this thread. All I was trying to do was make his life easier by calling MS for clarification and all they did was not do their job properly and aggravate.

I'm so sorry to hear about your back pain. I hope you eventually get the relief and permanent healing that you need.

Unfortunately, it makes sense now why you would consider selling your membership. If you can't use it, and it would be a hassle for your son to use it to it's fullest potential, then why bother keeping it? I hope something changes for you that would make you and your family be able to enjoy it in the future. You may just want to consider what others have suggested and add your son to the title, so that there will be no questions or grey area going forward.

I wish you and your family all the best!

I dont think ANYONE in this post said any different. I think I read many times that people posted something to the effect of "the rules are there to keep others from taking advantage" and I think all of those also stated that they didnt think you were trying to cheat anyone. They were just pointing out why they have rules like that.

I had no doubt that it would work out in the end, and I'm glad you got to talk to someone and they were going to make sure the CS folks knew. And I'm sure he will.

First off, sorry you are in pain and suffering.

Second, so glad you got it worked out:banana: and your son can get the discount he is entitled to.

Third, please don't let people on these threads add to any more of your frustration. Everyone has their own set of values/rule following limits. Some love to follow the rules to the itsy bitsy letter to a fault. And I get that some DVC'er are crazy about the rules! But most of us are really just trying to help you out and that is what I think these boards are for. It was clear you were upset from your first post, and I personally think you were completely justified. It is frustrating when common sense doesn't prevail.

Fourth I HOPE YOU STAY WITH DVC! But good luck in deciding. I think in this case it was a matter of bad information from a uniformed representative.

Hope your recovery goes swiftly!:goodvibes

Most folks on this board have made a large financial and emotional investment in Disney and DVC. Criticizing Disney indirectly criticizes their (our)decision to be members. I think it's a natural response to get a little defensive. Plus, unfortunately we hear more and more of people trying to abuse the system, . . .

This kind of reminds me of an old quote from that fellow called Anonymous, "My country right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, When wrong to be put right." I feel the same way about Disney. I love my DVC and the Disney/Pixar Company but I will let them know about my concerns. As a Disney shareholder I joined Roy Disney's de facto organization that opposed many of Michael Eisner's moves such as shutting down the animation division, alienating Pixar CEO Steve Jobs and letting go Imagineers (who, by the way, were picked up by Universal Orlando). I still have my "Save Disney" bumper sticker from those days not so long ago.

The Executive Team agent told me the staff was wrong. They have guidelines to deal with such events and it such have been handled better. T One member service agent told me that no one but the actual member would receive the discount no kids, no associates.....no one but the actual deed member. That was a incorrect statement that I read the actual rule back to the agent from the DVC member website and she told that I was still wrong.

Obviously those living in the same household are eligible and if MS told you otherwise that was certainly incorrect.

However, I will still take a "wait and see" approach as to whether your conversation has any long-lasting impact. The written rules have been in place for more than 5 years now and they don't make any allowances for eligible children who visit without a parent being present. And I've heard multiple claims of the people receiving the same answer that you initially did.

I suppose it's possible that MS has been ignoring executive direction for several years now...but I'm still a little skeptical about that one.

If Disney would be reasonable and found a way that we can confirm that our family members are who we say they are then I would not have to spend $ 400 to receive a discount.

True enough but 2 points:

1. Just because Disney "CAN" do something doesn't always mean that they will. Some will argue that they should allow late check-outs...but they don't. Some will argue that we should be allowed to put as many guests as we wish into a single villa...but Disney still has posted occupancy rules.

Boundaries have to be set somewhere. I don't think anyone claimed that you were trying to cheat the system, but the rule is what it is and those who can't comply will not receive the discount.

2. Regarding putting your son on the deed, the AP discount will only get him by as long as he is living in your household. So you're living on borrowed time in that respect anyway. If you were to add him to the deed, not only would he be eligible for the discount but also eligible relatives of his own (spouse, children.) Food for thought...

The fact is WDW should provide DVC members the same discount it gives someone who does nothing but live in FL.

Again, another philosophical discussion. Disney can structure the rules any way they wish so you're probably not going to get much satisfaction expecting that they "should" choose one path or another.

DVC has been around for nearly 20 years now and members have never been eligible for FL resident discounts. I wouldn't expect that to change anytime soon.

This is all stated in the rules quite clearly. It shouldn't have been a surprise.

I'm only an Associate member, as for whatever reason, we decided to not put me on as a full member. That means that if I want to get the DVC discount on an AP, my husband has to be there with me. I know it, I accept it! And I'm not surprised by it.

They have rules, the rules are stated clearly.

Oh drat, it looks like in the second two pages, someone allowed you to skirt the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter