DVC Direct points with bonus points?

In your scenario of buying a September UY in July, does the buyer pay MF on the 2019 September points?

As mentioned it doesn't matter what UY your buying direct as you'll pay prorated dues calculated from the date you sign the agreement. It's not for a particular set of points - it's for the calendar year.

So the optimal time to buy then is in Nov for a Dec UY? I would have double the points, pay 1/12th of the dues. Then in Jan pay 100% dues for the next year's points.
Compare this to buying in Mar for an Apr UY. I would have double the points, pay 7/12th of the dues. Then in Jan pay 100% dues for the next year's points.

Therefore buying in Nov for a Dec UY maximizes the benefit?

We bought on the 6th August 2012 with an August UY. We got 2011 points which they banked for us before we closed and 2012 points.

So the optimal time to buy then is in Nov for a Dec UY? I would have double the points, pay 1/12th of the dues. Then in Jan pay 100% dues for the next year's points.
Compare this to buying in Mar for an Apr UY. I would have double the points, pay 7/12th of the dues. Then in Jan pay 100% dues for the next year's points.

I wouldn't base thinking a purchase on the dues pmt in the initial year. It depends on when you want to use the points. If waiting is OK and a December UY will work for you over the years then sure. If a different UY is preferred and you want to be able to book with the points earlier than November than no. In general that procedure will work for any UY - buy just before the start of it.

Dec can be one of the trickiest UYs to manage because you are often thinking calendar year versus UY.

Can you provide some examples of how calendar year vs UY can cause issues?

Let’s use Dec UY...right now, it is 2020 but we will be in the Dec 2019 UY until November 30th, 2020.

When you go to book a trip, it’s based on the UY and not calendar year, That is what determines the points used, So, if someone wants to travel in July 2020, they may think they can borrow from 2021 because the trip is in the calendar year 2020.

However, because that trip falls in the 2019 UY for December, you can only borrow 2020 and not 2021.

Yes, although if you're buying anything other than RIV, the chances of them having a contract to sell you may or may not be slim.

Remember, DVD/C can only sell you a contract if they can give you current UY points. Current UY points can't be created from nothing; they had to have been taken through ROFR. DVD can now reassign the UY to points, but not the calendar year in which the points fall.

If you contact DVC in November 2020 wanting a Dec UY, you're hoping that DVC recently exercised ROFR on a) a Dec UY contract with current (2019) UY points, or b) any other UY with banked points from 2019.

Hi all,
Came across this thread as I am having a case of addonitis. I think I understand but just wanted clarification. I have a Feb UY currently for SSR. If I buy Riviera direct say Jan 2021: I would still get 2020 points and on Feb 2021 will get my 2021 points. In this example I would only have to pay annual dues for the 2021 calendar year correct?TIA!

Hi all,
Came across this thread as I am having a case of addonitis. I think I understand but just wanted clarification. I have a Feb UY currently for SSR. If I buy Riviera direct say Jan 2021: I would still get 2020 points and on Feb 2021 will get my 2021 points. In this example I would only have to pay annual dues for the 2021 calendar year correct?TIA!

Couple things to account for:
  • Sold out resorts could have a "wait list" for the current UY but be available as soon as you get to the 1st day of the next use year
  • Pricing/incentives can change to where the limited cost to MFs may not be worth waiting (RIV would only have roughly $4/point extra cost right now which could be wiped out with price increases)

facebook twitter