DVC Dining Plan

So...now I read that if you are using the dining plan, you can still use your DDE card for any alcoholic beverages at the same meal you use your dining plan for?? If this is the case then we'll use both. We do a complete TS meal every day. Sometimes we like to do a character breakfast as well and eat our dinner later in the evening. That would really work out great....I could use the DDP for our LeCellier meal, but use my DDE card for wine. Then I could eat at Cape May for breakfast, get my 20% off with DDE and then eat at Boma later that night with my DDP. Am I correct in my reasoning???

Since you are all the experts, I need help. We are planning our trip for May 13-20 to WDW. We are going to purchase the Dining Plan. My husband asked me an interesting question last night which I had not thought about. We've been talking about going ahead and making our reservations for the luau and know that they require payment up front. If we are doing the dining plan, how does that work? If we let MS know, it should be on our record. Does the luau know that? Or do we pay up front and get our money back once we give them our four TS meals? Anyone have a clue? I'm stumped. :confused3

They probably do it the same way that they do CRT. They take your credit card number, but don't actually charge the deposit. If you don't cancel within 48 hours and don't show up, then they charge your credit card. It's kind of like giving a hotel your credit card to hold a reservation.

Best wishes -

P.S. Welcome to the DVC Forum! Nice to see your first post is with us!

Isn't there tax on the DDP? That does add a little bit to the totals some are using. If it's border line on whether or not you are planning to get it, this could sway you the other way. I have been going over and over menus for our next stay, and have found the DDP to be cheaper only if we always order an app and dessert. My husband and I are still undecided, but it makes sense for Disney. The restaurants are pricey and they are getting people to prepay for dinner with the works. We probably will not order everything I calculated without the plan, but snacks and quick service could add up with 3 kids as well. We have DDE, so I am leaning towards just paying as we go, but might change as I read others experiences.

pplasky - According to the CM I spoke with yesterday, it's $37.99 per adult and $10.99 child, with no other taxes or fees charged - hopefully this is true. Since she gave me the total of my plan and said this is what will be charged at check in, it must be correct.

Tiger

My family LOVES to eat, and my Dad is fond of saying that our army travels on its stomach, but even WE don't eat appetizer and dessert at dinnertimes. My daughter eats very little but would cost as an adult. If they let some group members buy the plan and others not, we would use the dining plan. Fot my parents it would be great. But for my family of 4, with 2 picky kids, a very picky hubby who sometimes barely eats but gets an expensive cocktail, and me who would love dessert but usually can't make room for it, the DDE is a better deal. Best advice here is that you have to decide based on the tendencies of your own family.

Tiger926 said:
pplasky - According to the CM I spoke with yesterday, it's $37.99 per adult and $10.99 child, with no other taxes or fees charged - hopefully this is true. Since she gave me the total of my plan and said this is what will be charged at check in, it must be correct.

Tiger

Thanks for the info. It makes a difference!

Spoke w/ MS yesterday and was told that since we're doing a split stay (6 nts BCV/4 nts OKW) that it would be 2 seperate dining plans. So we'd have to use up the credits from the BCV stay by midnight the day we check out (7/1/06) and then the same day we get the OKW credits. BUT......we're in a studio @ BCV and were going to use more CS credits and 1 or 2 more TS credits (thinking the whole 10 days would be pooled together)...so I have had to rearrange my Dining Plans a little to make sure we use the allotment of BCV during the BCV stay and the allotment of OKW credits during the OKW stay. Keep that in mind if you are doing a split stay when you are planning your ADRs.

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong spot.

A couple of questions about the Dining Plan.

1. The $37.99 rate for adults -- does that include tax, or is the tax extra?
2. About breakfast -- can the plan be used at table-service restaurants that serve a breakfast that is not a buffet - like Olivia's or the Yacht Club Galley? I realize there would be no dessert.
3. Does anyone know what would be considered a snack at OKW's Goods To Go or BC's Hurricane Hanna's?

Thank you.

DisneyDoogie said:
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong spot.

A couple of questions about the Dining Plan.

1. The $37.99 rate for adults -- does that include tax, or is the tax extra?
2. About breakfast -- can the plan be used at table-service restaurants that serve a breakfast that is not a buffet - like Olivia's or the Yacht Club Galley? I realize there would be no dessert.
3. Does anyone know what would be considered a snack at OKW's Goods To Go or BC's Hurricane Hanna's?

Thank you.
1.The $37.99 includes tax. I just added the plan to our May reservations and the cost was figured at $37.99/day/adult, no extra taxes etc.
2. You can use the vouchers for breakfast at any participating TS that serves breakfast, although that may not be the best use of your vouchers cost-wise.
3. I don't know that answer to this one, but someone should come along soon who will know.

Have a good trip! :earsgirl:

I was just looking at the list of restaurants on the dvc website. It says the character breakfasts count as a table service meal? I thought they were two table service meals.

mom2alix said:
1.The $37.99 includes tax. I just added the plan to our May reservations and the cost was figured at $37.99/day/adult, no extra taxes etc.
2. You can use the vouchers for breakfast at any participating TS that serves breakfast, although that may not be the best use of your vouchers cost-wise.
3. I don't know that answer to this one, but someone should come along soon who will know.

Have a good trip! :earsgirl:

We are planning on going to US & IOA for two days during our trip so obviously we won't be eating at Disney... Could my DW and I use two TS vouchers each in one day? I.e. got to Chef 'da France for lunch and then Prime Time 50's for dinner that same day? Or do you have to stick with one CS and TS per person per day?

4mcbjCtr said:
I was just looking at the list of restaurants on the dvc website. It says the character breakfasts count as a table service meal? I thought they were two table service meals.

No, they aren't. They are only one. There are only a few fancy, signature restaurants (California Grill, Brown Derby etc...) that are 2 credits.

Also the shows like HDDR or the Luau are 2 credits.

skoi said:
We're going for a short stay before our Magic cruise this fall. We looked over menus, did all the math, etc. for the family (me, dh, dd 12, ds 8, dd 2) and while we would save money with the dining plan, we probably won't get it. The reason, honestly, is because we never eat that much! We'd pay for 3 adults, and while dd would gladly eat filet mignon at every meal and ds would love to try exotic appetizers, we'd never be able to eat 4 appetizers, 4 entrees, and 4 desserts at our ts meal every day. And if we did eat that much, then ate all that on our cruise, we'd come back 20 pounds heavier.

Of course, greed might get the better of me and we might buy it closer to time. I really want to eat at Le Cellier- because everyone just raves about it.

You bring up a question of mine... On the DDP is there a limit to the Cost of the Food you choose per meal? I.e. I see a lot of Filet Mignon is ANY appitizer, ANY Entree, and ANY dessert available to you on the plan? I just don't want to find out that once we are at a resturant we have a "special" Menu we must choose off of for each meal choice.

Sounds crazy, but here's what we're considering:

Party of 6, 3 guys 16yo, 16yo, adult; 3 girls, 20, 20, adult.

The guys like to eat, and love the DDP concept. Girls think they would not get the value. In fact, the female adult may not even go to the parks, opting for the BCV exercise room, walking trail, and Stormalong; probably will hit CS for meals, or eat nice salad at TS restaurants.

So, since we have booked a BCV 2-bedroom villa, we are considering splitting our reservation into a 1BR villa and Studio, so that only half of the party needs to buy the DDP.

It will cost me an additional 20 points for the 5 nights, which I could probably otherwise rent for $200.

Cost for the 3 girls for DDP, had they wanted it would have been $570.

So, am I looking at it correctly that I would break even as long as the three girls come close to eating on $370? Plus, they could eat some of our appetizers and desserts when they do go to the TS restarants with us.

I thought there were a lot of 2 credit TS restuarants.

In addition to California Grill & the Brown Derby, the 2 credit TS options include Artist Point, Flying Fish, Coral Reef, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Citricos, Narcoose's, and Jiko. Might be one or two more, can't remember. Also there is a surcharge for some menu items at Planet Hollywood & Captain Jack's (think it is the lobster entrees). IIRC, all of the dinner shows require 2 TS credits as well.

Best wishes -

brivers222 said:
You bring up a question of mine... On the DDP is there a limit to the Cost of the Food you choose per meal? I.e. I see a lot of Filet Mignon is ANY appitizer, ANY Entree, and ANY dessert available to you on the plan? I just don't want to find out that once we are at a resturant we have a "special" Menu we must choose off of for each meal choice.

Actually, there is a special menu or dessert or appitizer at some restaurants because of the dining plan. One example I can think of off the top of my head was when we ate at Tony's. We only were given the sampler dessert.

brivers222 said:
We are planning on going to US & IOA for two days during our trip so obviously we won't be eating at Disney... Could my DW and I use two TS vouchers each in one day? I.e. got to Chef 'da France for lunch and then Prime Time 50's for dinner that same day? Or do you have to stick with one CS and TS per person per day?

You can use as many per day as you want until they are gone.

You may use the credits as you'd like - even use a whole week's worth in one day if desired. There would be no penalty for missing a couple of days by going to USF.

Enjoy!

Both of you just made me feel :goodvibes

For another question... Our trip will be 5/7-5/15 or 8 nights and 9 days.

I am going to do some calculation so bear with me here ;)

I know we have to pay per person per night the $37.99 so that would give us paying for 8 nights hence the following "credits":

Myself:
CS: 8
TS: 8
Snack: 8

DW:
CS: 8
TS: 8
Snack: 8

Are we able to use the Credits starting on our Check-in day and ending at park closing of our Check out day? or are the credits only valid after we spend our first night (i.e. 2nd day?)

So sorry for the seemingly dumb questions but all these options they throw at you just blow you way!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter