DVC deposits into Interval International!

Originally posted by joepoe
Am I the only one who is confused by this whole thread?

Dean, could you please go over your transaction one more time? You traded one of your timeshare weeks (from where?) for a week at BWV in Sept and you had to paY $249 plus cash in a bonus cert and pay a transaction fee of $95? Why do I not see that as a good deal? What am I missing?
I deposited my 1 BR Aruba La Cabana week with II back in Decembr and traded it for a 2 BR OKW. I also got a bonus week, basically a freebie and that's what I used for this transaction. Had I not used it for this, I likely would not have used it at all as it expired in Dec. So for a $385 maint fee, exchange fees of $124 (or $121 can't remember), exchange of $249 and two times the $95 fee; I got 2 weeks at WDW in a 2 BR for one and a 1 BR the other. Total points would have been around 400 and my total cost was about $950 or $2.50 roughly per point.

Originally posted by Dean
I deposited my 1 BR Aruba La Cabana week with II back in Decembr and traded it for a 2 BR OKW. I also got a bonus week, basically a freebie and that's what I used for this transaction. Had I not used it for this, I likely would not have used it at all as it expired in Dec. So for a $385 maint fee, exchange fees of $124 (or $121 can't remember), exchange of $249 and two times the $95 fee; I got 2 weeks at WDW in a 2 BR for one and a 1 BR the other. Total points would have been around 400 and my total cost was about $950 or $2.50 roughly per point.

Receiving a comp makes a difference, but I would figure my situation differently. I would not value the week at my "other home resort" as simply the maintenance fee cost. It has good rental value, i.e., several hundred dollars higher than the amount of the maintenance fees. And since we usually stay 5-6 nights at Disney, and not normally both weekend nights, I would not compare it to a 7 night stay on points, since I very sincerely doubt I could ever stomach using that many points for the two weekend nights.

Using your general formula, the total points for our trip [if using points] would be significantly less, and the "cost" using the real value of my trade would be higher. It still works as a good deal, but is not $2.50 per point. :D

Dean do you still have a DVC guide? Talk to her/him about this - Marriott's Grande Vista used to have great getaways - $219 for a week in a 1-bedroom - but the sales people finally realized that no one would buy from them if they could rent from II for this price and put a stop to it.:mad: :(

now even the studio rents for $599 so II got the message - just make sure that DVC sales guides know that this is going on. Of course if you want to continue to get this great bargin - maybe you shouldn't.

Thanks, Dean. So you actually got 2 weeks at DVC for one at Aruba! Great! My inlaws sometimes get two weeks for one of their Kauai Marriott ts.

Dean,
Are you the same Dean who post on Lacabana.com
If so, you help a lot of people with your knowledge.
My question is what week did you depoit into Interval from LCB and what week did you get on your exchange into BWV.
Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by Dean
The last few days I've been seeing all type of studio and 1 BR deposits on line at II including BCV, BWV, VWL and OKW. I've also seen a few VB untis. The timing of these units went from mid May to mid Sept but many were in the mid summer including 4th of July. Searching for the same time and area with my different weeks tell me that the trade power is different with OKW, VWL and VB being the highest, BWV in between and BCV the lowest. I'm sure this is a reflection of the number of units deposited but it still concerns me.

Putting this together with the recent changes in the exchange system would suggest to me that DVC is filling the exchanges by depositing higher demand weeks and resorts than in the past but smaller units. It also suggests to me that DVC is depositing weeks they can't rent out which will reduce the trade power for those that want to exchange. This means more exchangers and likely lower values for contracts in the long run, at least if it continues for a few years.

Originally posted by graimo
Dean,
Are you the same Dean who post on Lacabana.com
If so, you help a lot of people with your knowledge.
My question is what week did you depoit into Interval from LCB and what week did you get on your exchange into BWV.
Thanks for your help.
I own a week 22 & 25 1 BR. They both get a bonus week currently. I deposited the week 22 in Dec and got the trade on line that night. I used the bonus certificate last night to get the BWV 1 BR. I can't tell you how surprised I was to get it. I would not value the week much higher than the fees so in this scenario it works well for me. If I were to rent La Cabana through the resort I would not even cover the fees after they take their cut. I can get between $500 and $600 rental for it so I have no problem just counting it as the yearly fees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter