DVC Blue Card benfits!?!

I completely agree that these discounts/ perks are pretty pathetic. Not monetarily worth very much at all... Shame on Disney
This theme now seems to be permeating all aspects of Disney. They no longer try to entice people to spend more by offering more, instead they make the normal experience worse to try to get people to spend more to keep what they have.

For me it’s not about losing access to the new resorts, it’s about the number of new resort owners who will saturate the systems. Those new owners can stay anywhere but others will be restricted to the less resorts at that 7-month window. Those reservations will be hard to come by.

if they keep the current restrictions then at some point there will be more and more resale owners at the new resorts and they would need to book where they own as they can’t use the points anywhere else. Then the direct owners is forced to book their home resort too as the other resorts are fully booked when the 7 months window opens.

I have no desire to purchase an annual pass because I’ll probably get a 6-7 day pass once a year, so it’s not worth it… but I don’t really think getting annual passes should be a blue card benefit. Anyone who owns DVC in Florida is technically a part time Florida resident so they should be able to buy anything that any other Florida resident can.

I really feel that blue card benefits should be limited to things that are directly funded via new sales. With that said I don’t care about 98% of the blue card benefits… that’s why I purchased via resell.

The only hang up I have is the new Disneyland DVC resort that will undoubtably not be available to me. I actually live closer to Disneyland but chose Florida because there is much more to do there and I prefer a longer trips…. Put a short two or three day Disneyland trip would be nice every couple of years.

I thought a little bit about my options. I might eventually try to get a small 50p resale contract at either the grand Californian or the new resort. I guess my other option would be to get 50 direct add on points for my resort and hope the 7 month odds for the new resort are better.

Im curious now. If I own resale points and I want to add on 50 direct point… do I have to add them onto my current resort or can they be for anywhere?… if I could add them on for anywhere that might be a way to get a 50 point direct contract for the new Disneyland resort… once again I don’t care much about a blue card. The DVC after hours thing sounds kind of cool. But I doubt I would ever schedule a vacation to coincide with that.

I have no desire to purchase an annual pass because I’ll probably get a 6-7 day pass once a year, so it’s not worth it… but I don’t really think getting annual passes should be a blue card benefit. Anyone who owns DVC in Florida is technically a part time Florida resident so they should be able to buy anything that any other Florida resident can.

I really feel that blue card benefits should be limited to things that are directly funded via new sales. With that said I don’t care about 98% of the blue card benefits… that’s why I purchased via resell.

The only hang up I have is the new Disneyland DVC resort that will undoubtably not be available to me. I actually live closer to Disneyland but chose Florida because there is much more to do there and I prefer a longer trips…. Put a short two or three day Disneyland trip would be nice every couple of years.

I thought a little bit about my options. I might eventually try to get a small 50p resale contract at either the grand Californian or the new resort. I guess my other option would be to get 50 direct add on points for my resort and hope the 7 month odds for the new resort are better.

Im curious now. If I own resale points and I want to add on 50 direct point… do I have to add them onto my current resort or can they be for anywhere?… if I could add them on for anywhere that might be a way to get a 50 point direct contract for the new Disneyland resort… once again I don’t care much about a blue card. The DVC after hours thing sounds kind of cool. But I doubt I would ever schedule a vacation to coincide with that.

The POS specifically states owning DVC does not make one a resident. The blue card benefits have nothing to do with Florida.

They are something DVD decides to offer as extra things for certain owners.

We need more real blue card benefits and not just minor discounts. In order to recoup the increased price difference between direct and resale points this would amount to 10k to 30k. Disney needs to show blue card members some real love since there isn't any current massive financial benefits.
I think you are mistaken, there are massive financial benefits already. Unfortunately they belong to Disney.......

You can buy them for any resort, but you can only combine the points at 7 months.
You would need 150 Direct points to get a Blue Card for DVC parties, lounge, discounts.

(when Joe decides to let us in).
Things are looking up. If you are fully vaccinated, it appears that many international travelers will be able to enter the US beginning in November. Watch the news - there's sure to be more info coming soon. :)

You should also put the disclaimer that some white card members have been getting the 10% food and 20% merch for years. I have seen numerous comments over the last 5 years that CM's do not "enforce" it there either. My DD got the discount 3 out of 3 times when she was at Disneyland buying merch 3 years ago. She just told the CM's her parents were DVC owners and they gave her the 20% discount, no card necessary, white or blue. I am sure just like with the AP's right now, it comes down to the CM and how they feel at that moment. Do they know the "rules"? Do they want to enforce the "rules"? Is it worth a confrontation?

We need more real blue card benefits and not just minor discounts. In order to recoup the increased price difference between direct and resale points this would amount to 10k to 30k. Disney needs to show blue card members some real love since there isn't any current massive financial benefits.
The blue card is good for scraping a light coating of ice off of your car windshield in the winter if you live up north. I am pretty sure DVC can't take this one perk away.

You should also put the disclaimer that some white card members have been getting the 10% food and 20% merch for years. I have seen numerous comments over the last 5 years that CM's do not "enforce" it there either. My DD got the discount 3 out of 3 times when she was at Disneyland buying merch 3 years ago. She just told the CM's her parents were DVC owners and they gave her the 20% discount, no card necessary, white or blue. I am sure just like with the AP's right now, it comes down to the CM and how they feel at that moment. Do they know the "rules"? Do they want to enforce the "rules"? Is it worth a confrontation?
Yep. At HH, they just ask if I was a member at the time. I answered yes. Got the discount.

But my previous visit there I was not a member and answered no. Did not get the discount. Simple enough.

Yep. At HH, they just ask if I was a member at the time. I answered yes. Got the discount.

But my previous visit there I was not a member and answered no. Did not get the discount. Simple enough.
This just shows me it varies by CM and location! We visit HH resort every year and they ask for dvc ID at merch shop. The food window and beach bar folks did not ask for card.

In the past year alone I have had over 30 meals at Disney that were eligible for discounts. I was only asked to show the card once, and even that one ended up being “don’t worry about it” when they saw I needed to log in first.

The only time it’s seemed to be consistently needed and exclusive is the Epcot lounge.

Yea they definitely don't care about the discounts. The measly DVC discounts are just part of the markup. Disney certainly doesn't care that white card members get discounts. I have never been turned down for a discount. In fact, multiple times I've asked about blue card vs white and I've never been given such a blank stare in my life - they have zero clue. Having to teach thousands of CMs the difference between a "white" card vs a "blue" card would cause Disney nothing but headaches + discounts would always slip through. As long as you're DVC, you're getting it no questions asked.

Even CMs have told me, ALWAYS ask for discounts. Never shy away. Disney marketing of Discounts for blue cards are just what they flash on the website as part of the sales pitch.

If Disney wanted to get serious about blue vs white discounts, they would need to literally install a new piece of DVC software that scans your mobile barcode (IF Disney actually did that) to determine your eligibility, PLUS, they would need to also convince their partners to accept some piece of Disney software they may need to call Disney to troubleshoot - NOT A CHANCE! so thus why discounts are for ALL DVC members.

so thus why discounts are for ALL DVC members.

Well they are not for all members. Some members who don't qualify simply ask for them.

There is a difference and hence why I wouldn't have asked when I was White Card. You are correct though the only way it would really ever be enforced is through software.

Long term maybe that comes up but right now there is just so few DVC resale only owners that Disney likely just doesn't care much.

As white card I get the food and merch discount every time. In fact, when I mobile order at places that offer it, MDE automatically applies the discount.

I don’t feel badly about it because when making a purchase the CMs ask “Are you a Disney Vacation Club member?” I am, so I say yes. They either give me the discount or ask to see my card - which I show white - and then give it to me. If they really wanted to exclude us resalers they should change the question to “are you a DVC member eligible for membership extras?”

I used to have a tinge of blue card FOMO (even though I saved 30,000$+ resale). But as DVC kept raising the min buy in and eliminating the perks, I can honestly say I am so thankful I didn’t get that direct addon I had convinced myself that I needed. No regrets about my white card.

Last edited:
I spend a lot of time on TUG-the timeshare owners’ forum-and someone was just talking about this, that one of the main tactics to sell timeshare is FOMO, getting folks to worry that they might miss out on something cool, even if that something is undefined or doesn’t yet it exist.

I'm pretty sure if you buy resale, you can't use your points at RR or any future DVC property. If they ever get more properties built, this will be a big advantage of a blue card.
This was a huge reason I bought direct at RR. I really wanted the Legacy Blue Card benefits, but when it came down to it, I wanted a 50 year contract I could use at ANY DVC resort.

This was a huge reason I bought direct at RR. I really wanted the Legacy Blue Card benefits, but when it came down to it, I wanted a 50 year contract I could use at ANY DVC resort.
For us, having access to all the DVC resorts is one of the primary advantages of ownership. If we decided to buy RR, we would probably buy direct.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter