• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC access to AKL pool

dpappas

Earning My Ears
I am going with my sister & her 4 kids July 28 - Aug 3 and she's a DVC member. She says that DVC members have pool privileges at all the hotels. Does anyone know if this includes the AKL?

We visited the AKL last week and were NOT stopped at the gate. We had our DVC parking pass in our car window and the guard saw it and let us in.

I am not sure about swimming. I would call directly and ask. I know during April you could not.

Hope this helps! :)

Dan is right. All members were informed that pool hopping does not extend to the AKL. They left it open that they may give us that privilege "in the future." You should also be aware that it is necessary to check with the resort where you are planning to pool hop to see if they have availability on that particular day. (They usually do with the exception of holiday times.)

After having been in the elegant lobby of the AKL, there is no way I would park my car, go thru the front entrance and then down the elevator to the pool in swimming attire. I would imagine you would be pretty conspicuous,but that is strictly my opinion. There is an elevator for resort guests that lets them get to the pool without going thru much of the lobby. If you have not been to AKL yet, then you probably would not be familiar with the layout of the lobby area and pool location.

The pool at AKL is nice enough, but I did not think it was special enough to drive all the way over there to use it, again strictly my opinion.

Also, in the DVC newsletter that all members got, it stated that there would be no pool hopping at AKL to begin with. :( They said they are trying to let the animals become accustomed to their new home.

If your goal is to get to see the AKL, I would suggest making a PS reservation for Boma one night and check it out that way.

Dear dpappas, I am Lisa Pappas (maiden name, also from Tx) . Hope you have a great time! Maybe the policy for pool hopping at the AKL will change if you have your heart set on the pool there.

I agree with RweTHEREyet.

The pool at AKL is nice, but nothing special I don't think. It's main feature is the fact that there is a Savannah next to it so you can get out and see the animals but you can freely visit the AKL to see the Savannah's now anyhow if that is what interests you.

Also, as mentioned before, you have to go through a *big* lobby to get to the pool in your swimming things...rather you than me!

Penny! :)

Pool hopping is a priviledge, and is often abused. If you use common sense......you usually don't have a problem. For ex.---I would never pool hop to WL or GF because they have small pools, why go there! Why would I walk seven miles to the Coronado pool? We go on off days, go early, as soon as they open and leave around 11am when most of the people are returning from parks or waking up. Our children are grown up...so it's just the two of us pool hopping. We order from the poolside snack places....usually eating lunch just before we go. We always wear clothing over our swim gear.......when we go to BY Club....we like to go into the restaurant to eat before we go.

We pool hop for one reason.....I have sun sensitive skin......several skin cancers....and must be in the shade while at a pool. BYC pool has a shady area in the pool area and outside. OKW has shade around its pools. One of the selling points for us was the pool hopping priviledges. We will be at VWL this June......my first comment was ........WHERE'S THE SHADE? I use the pools in the late evening quite a bit.:pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter