DTD - now that hotel construction has been abandoned

sherilaine

DIS Veteran
Our last trip was right before they were going to close a lot of DTD down to begin construction on the 4th onsite hotel. Now that the plans for that hotel have been tossed out - is DTD back to what it was before? Or better?

Just curious.

ESPN Zone, Rainforest Cafe and AMC Theaters are still closed which you would hardly notice...but other than that DTD really feels the same.

I wonder whether the old ESPN Zone building should be converted into a Dave & Busters restaurant, as their layout also included arcade games, like the ESPN Zone had on their upper public floor.

It'll be a shame if the building is pulled down in the near future though.

Back in October it was reported that Landry's, the parent company for Rainforest Cafe, has said want back in. Since it was the last ESPN Zone I don't think you'll see it return, though I think a Sports theme restaurant or Brew Pub would make the most sense.

Our last trip was right before they were going to close a lot of DTD down to begin construction on the 4th onsite hotel. Now that the plans for that hotel have been tossed out - is DTD back to what it was before? Or better?

Just curious.
“Back to what it was before? or better?” You forgot “or worse” And the answer is “worse” imho. It’s just weird with RFC & ESPN & AMC closed. Yes, the food trucks are in but they do NOT fix the atmosphere problem they created closing those 3.

Thanks everyone - I guess there was indeed an atmosphere towards the end of DTD with Rain Forest Cafe and the stage that often had entertainment. We didn't always venture passed the Lego store but I can see those walking to their hotels missing it.

“Back to what it was before? or better?” You forgot “or worse” And the answer is “worse” imho. It’s just weird with RFC & ESPN & AMC closed. Yes, the food trucks are in but they do NOT fix the atmosphere problem they created closing those 3.

I'd have to disagree here. The food at RFC and ESPN were awful. Yes, I realize that a lot of kids liked the atmosphere of RFC but having Habit Burger and Mad Dumplings provide a superior product. To me the AMC was a waste of space. Just my opinion.

Thanks everyone - I guess there was indeed an atmosphere towards the end of DTD with Rain Forest Cafe and the stage that often had entertainment. We didn't always venture passed the Lego store but I can see those walking to their hotels missing it.
They have been bringing back entertainment acts periodically to that stage. TBH if you don't usual pass the Lego store you won't notice any differences from your last trip. I think to me it was particularly noticeable because we stayed DLH so we walked through the area multiple times a day.

For me its the same. I never went to AMC there and didn't like our RFC, which also closed, so i never went to that one either. The only one i kind of miss is ESPN but not the restaurant it self but the type of restaurant. Any sports bar/restaurant would be nice.

And for me, it's better. Since we frequently stay at the DLH, we pass thru this area a lot. They have brought back Earl and Starbucks. I was afraid when they brought Earl back, they wuold get rid of the food trucks. We did Habit Burger last trip, and it was SO GOOD. We did the Wings truck a few visits ago and the guys loved that (I did Afters instead, and loved it. Sadly, since Salt and Straw is now there, I doubt Afters will return.) I am hoping to try the crepes place next trip and the dumplings truck too.

The stage is used nightly and they had some good bands over Christmas/New Years. I've enjoyed the change!

I dunno- salt and straw, earl of sand which, the new world of Disney, the home store, some live entertainment.. we enjoyed downtown Disney.

Oh also the new bowling place..

I dunno- salt and straw, earl of sand which, the new world of Disney, the home store, some live entertainment.. we enjoyed downtown Disney.

Oh also the new bowling place..
I thought OP was specifically focused on the abandoned->oops! area that was shut down for the hotel. Obviously the rest of DtD is better than it used to be with the plethora of new places coming in and remodels for the old places.

Thanks everyone. We were last there in March so it sounds like quite a few things have changed just in that short time and it certainly sounds like the majority of it is as vibrant as ever. Glad to hear that the World of Disney store has completed renovations and some new dining options have opened. We love going to DTD on arrival day in the evening for dinner as it gives us that Disney feel before heading to the parks the next morning.

Thanks everyone. We were last there in March so it sounds like quite a few things have changed just in that short time and it certainly sounds like the majority of it is as vibrant as ever. Glad to hear that the World of Disney store has completed renovations and some new dining options have opened. We love going to DTD on arrival day in the evening for dinner as it gives us that Disney feel before heading to the parks the next morning.
I believe Ballast Point is also due to open next week. Now just waiting on Black Tap.

While we really miss the AMC (always a good ending for date night), for us, it feels like DTD is on an upswing. Better restaurants and fast food choices (Salt & Straw, yes!). A more lively feel all around -- at least it was like that during the holidays. Food trucks are fun. Having Starbucks West back is great! Now if we can get more bands back throughout DTD, not just at the Main Stage!

Found this:

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/10/...ts-to-reopen-at-downtown-disney-company-says/

This is as of October. But it also says that Sbux 'had no interest' in reopening their west-end shop and it has been reopened. But it's a small-ish store. I have a feeling that Disney probably wants to keep the bigger square-footage facilities at that end of DTD under their own control, ie not leasing but developing on their own, so they can willy nilly shut them down if they ever decide to resurrect the hotel plan (God forbid!).

Now if we can get more bands back throughout DTD, not just at the Main Stage!
We were there for 2 weeks at Christmas. Besides the main stage, there were at least 2 others spots of live entertainment (possibly 3, but I can only definitely remember 2). One was a guitar player at times, and a harp with a hammer at other times. The other location was a group of 5 singing a capella, mainly CHristmas music.

We saw a few other music groups during the holidays, too, but there used to be more dance bands scheduled at the Main Stage and Central Courtyard (in front of the Home Store and Wonderground Gallery, by the fountain) before all the construction/cancelled construction. I'm guessing that many of the regular bands booked other gigs for the long term, but I hope that Disney is able to get them back in the future!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!