ds's 3rd birthday help!!

lexie32

DIS Veteran
It's my ds's 3rd birthday next tuesday and i had planned on just having 4 of my friends over and their kids all aged between 2 and 3 for a small birthday tea ( these are the kids he has played mainly with for the last 3 years) but ds started pre school in sept and one of the mums whose kid is nearly 4 asked me if i was having a party, i said no because i wouldn't have a clue who to invite but i would be having a big one next year. Now i feel quite mean, i just dont know what he protocol is, i find the school gates a real mine field and i don't seem to fit in with any of the cliques it feels the same as when i was at school and i do'nt want Ben to be excluded from others partys because he didn't have one!

do i arrange something for half term week??

never mind what the other mums think....ive been there !!

its up to you what you want to do for your son's birthday :hug:

You have to do what is right for you, never mind that these things quickly get out of hand and over budget. it could just be that this other mum was asking because she doesn't know the protocol either, who knows? you could have just saved her some money too:lmao: Just stick to your original plan and what works best for you.

I felt like I was in the same position as you last year when my DS1 was in nursery. I did go ahead with a party inviting his classmates but only because it was what he wanted. My DD is only 13 months younger and she will be the same this year as she is in nursery but I don't think I'll be doing the same with her for her birthday. It was too mad and having close friends at home was fine before. I found joining some of the groups on school for the parents helped me feel a bit more included in things but it doesn't always work with everyone. Remember there will be parents in the same position as you not knowing all the regulars. I made friends with some of them and it's great to meet on the way in and out of school. Sorry this is becoming a bit of a ramble!:rolleyes1
You do what is best for you and your children. Who cares if others like to flash the cash and provide big fancy parties for their kids. They forget within a week anyway!:rotfl:

From my experience not many children at pre-school have big parties so I am sure you are not in the minority opting not to have one.

Also, he probably won't actually be going to school with alot of these children so I wouldn't worry about it having a knock on effect re future invites.

When my DD was 3 I had a big party for her. I hired a hall and an entertainer and she hated it! It was all too much for her.

Just do what you feel comfortable with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter