Dryer Lint Filter

disneychrista

DIS Veteran
When do you clean it out? Before you do a load or after your load is done?

My daughter will only do it BEFORE because the filter say clean BEFORE use. It drives me crazy.

Last edited:
I’m with your daughter, always after the load is done. Because that is when it collects .

When you go to a laundry mat you would clean it when your done even though you have to check to see if someone didn’t clean it when you start because people don’t clean it.

I’m with your daughter, always after the load is done. Because that is when it collects .

When you go to a laundry mat you would clean it when your done even though you have to check to see if someone didn’t clean it when you start because people don’t clean it.

My post had a typo she only does it BEFORE. Not AFTER. She is a rule follower and it says to do it BEFORE.

Reactions: NAB
At home I do it before I start the dryer since I would be checking to make sure it was clear anyway.

When I used to use a laundromat, I did it both before and after. Before to make sure it was clear and after so I didn't leave a mess for the next person.

After every load (therefore the lent has been collected and the filter is ready for the next load).

If I know my husband has been doing his laundry I'll check it before I put in what I'm washing. He's notorious for forgetting to clean the filter out. I'll then clean it out after the load has been finished.

I do 3-4 loads of wash a week. Usually all on the same day. When I put the first load from the washer into the dryer, I check the lint filter. About half the time, when I'm done, I'll check it again.

There are 2 other people who use the washer/dryer in our house. I think one of them cleans the lint trap every time, the other one - not so much.

I check it before and after. I know I do it, but not sure about others who use it. :rolleyes1

We had a close call once with a near-dryer fire. Dumb thing, we'd left the dryer on when we went out. (We never do this anymore, nor the dishwasher with the heating element.) Fortunately Mom was home next door and smelled something burning. She followed the smell to the dryer and didn't see anything, but shut it off. When we came home we found that the lint inside the dryer vent had caught fire, it was all charred. By some miracle she found it and it stopped when she shut the dryer off.

I'm in the habit of both checking it before and cleaning it after.

My thinking is that it should be cleaned after - that way, you're cleaning out your own lint (especially if it's a public machine) but that it's sensible to check before you use it, in case someone forgot.

After, but I always check. It's not unusual for a family member to do the odd load, and they're much less likely to check/clean it than I am. I also open the washer BEFORE I start adding water to it--been caught on that one a number of times.

I always clean it after, to prevent anyone else using it with a clogged filter. And so I know it is good to go as is next time I need to use it.

But I can see the merit of double checking before if others are using the dryer and might not have cleaned it out.

If someone’s routine is to check it and clean before each use, I guess the net effect is the same.

I check it before and after. I know I do it, but not sure about others who use it. :rolleyes1

We had a close call once with a near-dryer fire. Dumb thing, we'd left the dryer on when we went out. (We never do this anymore, nor the dishwasher with the heating element.) Fortunately Mom was home next door and smelled something burning. She followed the smell to the dryer and didn't see anything, but shut it off. When we came home we found that the lint inside the dryer vent had caught fire, it was all charred. By some miracle she found it and it stopped when she shut the dryer off.
My dryer has an auto shutdown if things are clogged which gives me a little peace of mind but I still only run it when I’m home. It’s a huge fear of mine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter