Driving to Florida soon from Ontario, worried and scared

They don't! I have never seen anyone carrying around a gun. (A hunting rifle while hunting doesn't count.)

Do you think that every American you meet is going to be holstering a side arm and be ready to shoot at any moment?
No one I know has a clue that I am carrying, unless I tell them.

Heck, my own husband can't tell unless he hugs me or I tell him. (Which I do, he and my son are always told.)

Carrying concealed is just that, the weapon is concealed. You won't ever see it. If someone is "open" carrying, then yes you would see the weapon. But it would be holstered. Not being waved around. I've never seen someone open carry.

They don't! I have never seen anyone carrying around a gun. (A hunting rifle while hunting doesn't count.)

Do you think that every American you meet is going to be holstering a side arm and be ready to shoot at any moment?

Some people on this thread admit to carrying concealed weapons. Of course that doesn't mean we think Americans are going to shoot us. But since carrying a gun in the States is allowed, you just don't know who is carrying and who isn't. It's a bit of an uneasy feeling to a non American.

I never ever wonder if someone is carrying a gun. Just not a concern. Just as I don't wonder who around me has used illicit drugs recently. Both situations are possible anywhere you go these days. But never cross my mind.
My thoughts exactly. I've never actually given any thought to weapons or who might have them, either here at home or in the States. The only time I was ever confronted with the (potential) reality was actually kind of funny. :upsidedow I was at a convention in Dallas and staying at the Arlington Hilton. Posted at the entrance to the hotel lounge was a very tasteful, small brass sign that said "Please holster all handguns".

I never ever wonder if someone is carrying a gun. Just not a concern. Just as I don't wonder who around me has used illicit drugs recently. Both situations are possible anywhere you go these days. But never cross my mind.

I guess it will never be a concern to many Americans unless, or until, it is your place of employment, your child's elementary, high school or university classroom, your local mall, your place of worship, your local Starbuck's or your movie theater suffers a mass shooting because some mental case, carrying a gun loses their mind.

I guess it will never be a concern to many Americans unless, or until, it is your place of employment, your child's elementary, high school or university classroom, your local mall, your place of worship, your local Starbuck's or your movie theater suffers a mass shooting because some mental case, carrying a gun loses their mind.

No. It's because I refuse to live in fear. If we live in fear, the bad guys win again and again.

I've got young drivers on the road. That's enough fear for me.

No. It's because I refuse to live in fear. If we live in fear, the bad guys win again and again.

I've got young drivers on the road. That's enough fear for me.

So, you see, you do have fear.

I don't live my life quaking in my shoes but I can assure you that I don't stick my head in the sand and pretend things aren't happening or it's perfectly fine for the average guy or gal to walk around armed with handguns thinking they are cowboys and cowgirls.

My thoughts exactly. I've never actually given any thought to weapons or who might have them, either here at home or in the States. The only time I was ever confronted with the (potential) reality was actually kind of funny. :upsidedow I was at a convention in Dallas and staying at the Arlington Hilton. Posted at the entrance to the hotel lounge was a very tasteful, small brass sign that said "Please holster all handguns".

We were going into a children's museum in Minnesota and there was a sign saying "no guns allowed". We had a chuckle about that.

So, you see, you do have fear.

I don't live my life quaking in my shoes but I can assure you that I don't stick my head in the sand and pretend things aren't happening or it's perfectly fine for the average guy or gal to walk around armed with handguns thinking they are cowboys and cowgirls.

Those "average guys & gals" aren't a credible threat though. They're the haystack. The nut jobs are the needles.

I am a believer that a little education can go a long way. For all of you, American or Canadian, who are afraid of guns, why not (if time and money allow of course) take a shooting class/firearms safety class? No, you don't need to buy a gun, but maybe a little training could help to alleviate your fears. This is coming from a Canadian firearms enthusiast, as well as a fan of the good ole USA.

Well, its the ones with the concealed carry permit that I hope ARE in my child's school, my place of employment, etc. if a crazed gunman walks in. Its highly likely that these are the individuals that will save my child's or my life. When dd was in high school, there were two people on campus that had enhanced carry permits that allowed them to have their guns on campus. One was former military, the other a former cop. I was very thankful they were there.

I do think that many of the wrong people end up with guns. I don't know how that can be stopped but not allowing concealed carry isn't the correct way to handle the situation.

who are afraid of guns, why not (if time and money allow of course) take a shooting class/firearms safety class? No, you don't need to buy a gun, but maybe a little training could help to alleviate your fears.

while i appreciate what you are saying that education can allow you to get past a fear.... i am afraid of guns. i was shot with a .22 when i was 12 years old and BECAUSE i was afraid, i moved over, away from the boy pointing the gun and the bullet went thru my arm. had i NOT been afraid, i suppose it could have gone thru the middle of my chest. i am not sure taking a course or practicing firing a gun would be of any benefit to me. i am afraid of skydiving and have no interest in jumping out of a plane, therefore i won't go do that just to get past that fear.

i think i would be more willing to consider people's need to "protect themselves" by packing heat if i heard about someone walking in to shoot up a place and a law-abiding, gun-toting citizen saved the day. does that happen and it just doesn't make the news?? i can barely keep track of my phone and my keys.... i would never want the responsibility of managing a gun while trying to get thru my day.

as for OP, some people are worriers. that is how they deal with uncertainty. they want to believe if they consider any and all things that could go wrong, they are "prepared". i live in the biggest city in our country, 3rd (4th?) largest in north america. certainly shootings and violent crime are on the news every night. i live here and am raising my children here. i know many people from small towns that are afraid to come to my city when their favourite band is in town. however, i suspect telling someone their fears are ridiculous never really helped anyone "get past" anything.

I think i would be more willing to consider people's need to "protect themselves" by packing heat if i heard about someone walking in to shoot up a place and a law-abiding, gun-toting citizen saved the day. does that happen and it just doesn't make the news?? i can barely keep track of my phone and my keys.... i would never want the responsibility of managing a gun while trying to get thru my day.
Yes, it does happen. And no it doesn't make the news. How much of a story would it be? No one died in what could have been a mass shooting, we go now to the scene. While showing a mall with people shopping, totally oblivious to the situation? It just isn't interesting. The news doesn't care.

Also, please keep in mind, if you are carrying concealed, you agree to do just that. People that feel that they can't, people that simply don't want to; they don't have to.

while i appreciate what you are saying that education can allow you to get past a fear.... i am afraid of guns. i was shot with a .22 when i was 12 years old and BECAUSE i was afraid, i moved over, away from the boy pointing the gun and the bullet went thru my arm. had i NOT been afraid, i suppose it could have gone thru the middle of my chest. i am not sure taking a course or practicing firing a gun would be of any benefit to me. i am afraid of skydiving and have no interest in jumping out of a plane, therefore i won't go do that just to get past that fear.

i think i would be more willing to consider people's need to "protect themselves" by packing heat if i heard about someone walking in to shoot up a place and a law-abiding, gun-toting citizen saved the day. does that happen and it just doesn't make the news?? i can barely keep track of my phone and my keys.... i would never want the responsibility of managing a gun while trying to get thru my day.

as for OP, some people are worriers. that is how they deal with uncertainty. they want to believe if they consider any and all things that could go wrong, they are "prepared". i live in the biggest city in our country, 3rd (4th?) largest in north america. certainly shootings and violent crime are on the news every night. i live here and am raising my children here. i know many people from small towns that are afraid to come to my city when their favourite band is in town. however, i suspect telling someone their fears are ridiculous never really helped anyone "get past" anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_High_School_shooting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_High_School_shooting
This was a school shooting in my state. While the assistant principal was not carrying on his person, his having a gun did make it possible for him to detain the gunman. It is thought that the gunman was heading to the jr. high when the principal stopped him.

Well, its the ones with the concealed carry permit that I hope ARE in my child's school, my place of employment, etc. if a crazed gunman walks in. Its highly likely that these are the individuals that will save my child's or my life. When dd was in high school, there were two people on campus that had enhanced carry permits that allowed them to have their guns on campus. One was former military, the other a former cop. I was very thankful they were there.

I do think that many of the wrong people end up with guns. I don't know how that can be stopped but not allowing concealed carry isn't the correct way to handle the situation.
:scratchin How would that actually work though? In a school scenario I imagine the entire place goes into lock-down protocols at the sign of trouble, or in a public place the first priority of everyone there would be to hide or flee. Would the person with the gun be expected to "go hunting" for the bad guy? Not everybody would have the courage and composure to do that. It seems that unless an incident was occurring right in front of them, a person carring a weapon for protection wouldn't likely even be able to engage. And though I am very open to being corrected, I'm not aware of any of the widely-reported incidents of recent mass shootings where a civilian who just happened to be carrying took down the perpetrator.

ETA: I just read what you posted while I was working on mine.

Yes, it does happen quite often. But as previously mentioned, it rarely makes the headlines.

Now, I too feel the same way about keeping tabs on my phone & keys, so the last thing I need to add to the mix is a gun. But, that's my choice & I have no issue with others who choose the same (for whatever reason) or the opposite.

As for having no desire to handle a gun, that's totally your choice as well. And I'm with you 10,000% on skydiving!!

:scratchin How would that actually work though? In a school scenario I imagine the entire place goes into lock-down protocols at the sign of trouble, or in a public place the first priority of everyone there would be to hide or flee. Would the person with the gun be expected to "go hunting" for the bad guy? Not everybody would have the courage and composure to do that. It seems that unless an incident was occurring right in front of them, a person carring a weapon for protection wouldn't likely even be able to engage. And though I am very open to being corrected, I'm not aware of any of the widely-reported incidents of recent mass shootings where a civilian who just happened to be carrying took down the perpetrator.

ETA: I just read what you posted while I was working on mine.

In the case in Pearl, I think the gun was in his vehicle.

At our high school, I believe that the two with permits are in the two main buildings. They aren't expected to go hunting for the guy, but they do help protect those buildings. Its a small school in numbers but a large campus with only one police officer. The times the school went on lock down in dd's 4 years, the administrators were not locked in their offices but patrolling the school. (none of those times were for active shooters) If either or both of the two do not have classes, they would probably be with an administrator. Or with the way the classrooms are, they may be able to put their class with the one next door and patrol even then.

In the case in Pearl, I think the gun was in his vehicle.

At our high school, I believe that the two with permits are in the two main buildings. They aren't expected to go hunting for the guy, but they do help protect those buildings. Its a small school in numbers but a large campus with only one police officer. The times the school went on lock down in dd's 4 years, the administrators were not locked in their offices but patrolling the school. (none of those times were for active shooters) If either or both of the two do not have classes, they would probably be with an administrator. Or with the way the classrooms are, they may be able to put their class with the one next door and patrol even then.
A little OT (sorry) but the idea of there being an actual law-enforcement officer in an elementary, Jr., high or high school on a full-time basis is so foreign to me that I can't even imagine it. And the number if incidents you mention at what apparently is a single school boggles the mind.

A little OT (sorry) but the idea of there being an actual law-enforcement officer in an elementary, Jr., high or high school on a full-time basis is so foreign to me that I can't even imagine it. And the number if incidents you mention at what apparently is a single school boggles the mind.

A quick trip to wikipedia shows that there are even school resource officers in Toronto and areas of Canada. So it's not just the US. I remember passing the elementary assistant principal and the SRO heading out to investigate truancy--the school is in a average American area with a quiet local K-6 school. So there are many things the SRO does for the school. Here's the link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_resource_officer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter