• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving from Indiana and bypassing Atlanta

MomRN

DIS Veteran
We are leaving Terre Haute IN and heading to Clearwater (headed to Orlando after). We have to leave around 9am. That will put us in Atlanta during rush hour. We want to avoid this. Suggestions on route and where to stay that is over halfway (would like to stop about 9pm)

I'm not sure a good way to go, but my parents just got back and tried the bypass, and said it was miserable.

For the love of God, do not take the bypass around Atlanta. It's so much worse than just driving through the city.

If you want to avoid Atlanta, the only way is to drive through Alabama instead of Georgia. It'll add quite a few more miles, but it won't add much time and it's a much easier, less stressful drive.

Stopping somewhere near Tallahassee is probably your best bet.

Last edited:
According to Google maps, going through Alabama will add about 40 minutes and 60 miles.

Montgomery would be about halfway, so I'd say Dothan or Tallahassee for a stopping point.

How firm is that 9:00am? Driving down from Ohio I always plan to be through ATL late at night, around midnight, and then stop a few miles past the city for the evening unless I'm just driving through non-stop.

I agree do not, under any circumstance, use the bi-pass in Atlanta. Going through town is much easier. It would be out of your way but at some point you could get off 75 and onto 441 which would take you on smaller roads until you get to Macon and hop back on 75. I live in Athens, which is north of Atlanta and we do that. As far as where to stay, I'd just do a mapquest and look for half way.

How firm is that 9:00am? Driving down from Ohio I always plan to be through ATL late at night, around midnight, and then stop a few miles past the city for the evening unless I'm just driving through non-stop.[/QU

Due to work we can't leave earlier

I personally would sleep and leave in the early afternoon. Get through Atlanta after rush hour and stay on the southside. No need to be sitting in traffic while tired. Just be careful of the rush hours in other cities you may hit (Louisville/Nashville or Cincinnati).

For the love of God, do not take the bypass around Atlanta. It's so much worse than just driving through the city.

Lol! Exactly. We drive from Michigan via I-75 and always time it to where we avoid rush hour and drive right thru the city (also utilizing the HOV lane which can be quite helpful). We always stop just before or just after Atlanta for the night (depending on when we left and when we'd be hitting rush hour).

According to Google maps, going through Alabama will add about 40 minutes and 60 miles.

Montgomery would be about halfway, so I'd say Dothan or Tallahassee for a stopping point.

If you go through Alabama, traffic around Birmingham will begin to get bad around 2pm, taking you an hour or more to go south. Too many cars and too little roadway.

I work in Montgomery. If you are planning on staying the night in Montgomery, stop in Prattville (just north of Montgomery) and spend the night.

There's hotels in Marianna, Florida and we usually stop and spend the night at the Comfort Inn & Suites in Midway, Fl (just west of Tallahassee.)

Also, traffic in Nashville is bad during rush hour.

I've been able to successfully bypass Atlanta by making a big circle around to the west. I would get off I-75 in Calhoun, and head west toward Rome. Then south on 27 and then to Alternate 27 to Newnan. From Newnan, you can take the back roads southeast to get back to I-75 well south of Atlanta.

Four trips down. Never had a problem at Atlanta. We've passed through in the morning, typically anywhere from 5 - 7 am or so. Straight through downtown. HOV lane if needed, but for the most part, no issues. There are somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 lanes across in spots. If you're just passing through and don't like HOV, just hang in the middle and keep up with traffic.

If you go through Alabama, traffic around Birmingham will begin to get bad around 2pm, taking you an hour or more to go south. Too many cars and too little roadway.

I work in Montgomery. If you are planning on staying the night in Montgomery, stop in Prattville (just north of Montgomery) and spend the night.

There's hotels in Marianna, Florida and we usually stop and spend the night at the Comfort Inn & Suites in Midway, Fl (just west of Tallahassee.)

Also, traffic in Nashville is bad during rush hour.

I've been able to successfully bypass Atlanta by making a big circle around to the west. I would get off I-75 in Calhoun, and head west toward Rome. Then south on 27 and then to Alternate 27 to Newnan. From Newnan, you can take the back roads southeast to get back to I-75 well south of Atlanta.
How much extra time does it take versus driving through Atlanta on 75? I'm heading down from Chattanooga and trying to figure out rush hour alternatives.

Atlanta has the same sort of road network position as Indianapolis: there just aren't many good ways around it. As mentioned, Alabama will get you tons of traffic as well, but if you want a scenic drive though, heading east through the Blue Ridge mountains is longer, very beautiful, and usually traffic-free.

You can also either leave a bit later or stop before Atlanta so you hit it after 8 PM or so, which is what I would do, or drive straight through if I was in a rush.

How much extra time does it take versus driving through Atlanta on 75? I'm heading down from Chattanooga and trying to figure out rush hour alternatives.

I looked on Google maps, and its about 2 hours 40 minutes longer to go through Alabama. IMHO, it looks like it would be really out of the way for you. But, looking at the way i've gone before, a big loop around Atlanta, through Rome and Newnan, is almost the same time.

BTW, since I posted the original post, I-65 between Birmingham and Montgomery has picked up a lot more traffic on the weekends. There are frequent wrecks and traffic back ups. I have to frequently take US-31 and some state roads to bypass the congestion on I-65.

How firm is that 9:00am? Driving down from Ohio I always plan to be through ATL late at night, around midnight, and then stop a few miles past the city for the evening unless I'm just driving through non-stop.
How is it through Atlanta at 11pm or midnight? We are trying to time our drive through ATL around that time and stopping in Macon or Perry overnight. So far, we have never found a good time thru ATL but have never tried it that late.

Based strictly on my personal experience, you should be fine at the 2300-0100 hours you mentioned. I've done that several times to avoid Atlanta's traffic congestion and it has always worked for me.

How is it through Atlanta at 11pm or midnight? We are trying to time our drive through ATL around that time and stopping in Macon or Perry overnight. So far, we have never found a good time thru ATL but have never tried it that late.

At that time, you should have no problems. The only exception would be an accident or possible road work.

I live an hour or so north of Atlanta. I always leave around midnight and drive through the night on our trips to Disney. I've never had an issue.

Last edited:
At that time, you should have no problems. The only exception would be an accident or possible road work.

I live an our or so north of Atlanta. I always leave around midnight and drive through the night on our trips to Disney. I've never had an issue.
Thanks. It would be great if it was smooth sailing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter