Driving from Chicago to Walt Disney World

For my fellow anti-toll cheapskates, Google Maps directions for crossing Ohio River on I-65 works well. It’s very straightforward northbound, but southbound make sure you take US31. Don’t get fooled into veering left back into I-65 and tolled. I waste a few minutes but breaks up monotony and saves a few bucks.

IF you don't already have one, consider getting a Sun Pass - you only have to put like $10 on it. This will make it so much easier when you get off 75 in Florida to go towards Orlando.
In Louisville, I've found I-265 and I-264 to be a waste of time and gas. Just take 65 south. The bridge on I-65 from Indiana into Louisville is electronic toll only. They'll send you a bill in the mail.
If the OP is from Chicago, they probably have an I-Pass. Are the toll roads in FL that OP would need to drive on the part that is compatible with EZPass, which means it would work with I-Pass? Same question with the bridge into Louisville, I'm guessing that would be EZPass compatible.

My I-pass worked for the I-65 bridge Indiana<>Louisville, KY. A month ago I read that I-pass (or compatible pass in the consortium) works on toll road from MCO airport going south then west to WDW. I stupidly left mine at home so wasn’t able to test it out.

None of the out of state passes work on the toll road where you exit airport going north, then west, then down I-4 to WDW (sorry don’t know road #)

If the OP is from Chicago, they probably have an I-Pass. Are the toll roads in FL that OP would need to drive on the part that is compatible with EZPass, which means it would work with I-Pass? Same question with the bridge into Louisville, I'm guessing that would be EZPass compatible.

We have an EZPass (which works on I-Pass and almost every other toll road along the East Coast and Midwest.) However, it does NOT work on some of the toll roads in Florida. We learned this down in the Fort Myers area several years ago...

So, driving down 75 - no matter what other pass you have - you'll need the SunPass (or go through the cash lanes) when you exit onto the Florida Toll Road (FL-429) which is the easiest / fastest way to cut across the West side of Florida towards the East.

We're planning on driving from Chicago to WDW in mid to late June. This will be our first time driving down, so I'm looking to get as much advice as I can. We'll likely stop and spend 1 night somewhere on the way there, but I'm not sure where or how far along the route I should be planning to do this. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

We live an hour north of Detroit, we stayed in Knoxville on the return trip from Disney. It was a little more than the halfway point for us. It's still a looooong drive. Take time to stop and walk around every couple of hours. Have fun!!

For the FL portion, the I-Pass (which is an EZ-Pass) will work on 417 from the airport to exit 6, International/World Drive, but not past that point. That’s the end of the Central Florida Expressway (CFX) section of 417 as you head into WDW. For many travelers, that will cover their trips between WDW and MCO. It also works on 528 from the airport east to the end by I95 if one is heading to the cruise port or Vero Beach.

The CFX Uni works throughout FL (since it is EPass compatible) as well as all of the 18 states that are EZ-Pass territory (a substantial portion of the country east of the Mississippi). You can now purchase a Uni transponder from Amazon for $18.50 with Prime shipping (a small premium compared to the Uni price direct from CFX). See GoWithUni.com.

I’ve made the drive from NW Indiana and from West MI several times.

now that we have kids, our personal preference is to leave around their bedtime, and drive it straight through. I usually sleep the entirety of our departure day and take the first driving shift fresh

The I-Pass site says that I-Pass cannot be used on Florida Turnpike Authority tollways. I'm not sure which toll roads are part of the FTA though. Looks like I'll be good to use it in IN and KY though

For the FL portion, the I-Pass (which is an EZ-Pass) will work on 417 from the airport to exit 6, International/World Drive, but not past that point. That’s the end of the Central Florida Expressway (CFX) section of 417 as you head into WDW. For many travelers, that will cover their trips between WDW and MCO. It also works on 528 from the airport east to the end by I95 if one is heading to the cruise port or Vero Beach.

The CFX Uni works throughout FL (since it is EPass compatible) as well as all of the 18 states that are EZ-Pass territory (a substantial portion of the country east of the Mississippi). You can now purchase a Uni transponder from Amazon for $18.50 with Prime shipping (a small premium compared to the Uni price direct from CFX). See GoWithUni.com.
I just checked on amazon and it's currently not available. Guess I'll have to get it direct then🙁

We take I57 to I24 to I75 - we like that vs taking I65. I57 is a nice easy ride. We leave really early ( around 3a ) to avoid rush hour. My husband works midnights so he's used to being up so that helps as well. We stop in Effingham, IL for breakfast typically. It's about 3.5 hours in for us and it's a nice break. We like to get through the mountains so we stop for the night in East Ridge TN. It's right on the Tennessee, GA border. It takes us about 10 hours with stops to get there. Georgia seems to feel like it takes forever to get through, but it's an easy ride aside from Atlanta. Atlanta traffic is terrible so bring your patient pants. We tried both the bypass and going straight through and they were both the same amount of time. Enjoy the ride!

We've made the trip many times, usually stopping north of Valdosta. Last trip we stretched the drive. I55 to St. Louis and visited the Gateway Arch, stopping in Arkansas. Next day we visited Graceland then continued to the Mississippi Gulf coast for the night. Next day we visited the USS Alabama in Mobile and then followed the coast to Panama City Beach. All this was pre-Covid but it was so memorable.

We've made the trip many times, usually stopping north of Valdosta. Last trip we stretched the drive. I55 to St. Louis and visited the Gateway Arch, stopping in Arkansas. Next day we visited Graceland then continued to the Mississippi Gulf coast for the night. Next day we visited the USS Alabama in Mobile and then followed the coast to Panama City Beach. All this was pre-Covid but it was so memorable.
Thats sounds awesome!!

We take I57 to I24 to I75 - we like that vs taking I65. I57 is a nice easy ride. We leave really early ( around 3a ) to avoid rush hour. My husband works midnights so he's used to being up so that helps as well. We stop in Effingham, IL for breakfast typically. It's about 3.5 hours in for us and it's a nice break. We like to get through the mountains so we stop for the night in East Ridge TN. It's right on the Tennessee, GA border. It takes us about 10 hours with stops to get there. Georgia seems to feel like it takes forever to get through, but it's an easy ride aside from Atlanta. Atlanta traffic is terrible so bring your patient pants. We tried both the bypass and going straight through and they were both the same amount of time. Enjoy the ride!
The more I look at the map, the more I'm liking this route. I think we're going to end up taking I57

We live in the SW suburbs and have made the drive quite a few times, most recently around New Years. Depending on when you leave and where you live, avoid I-80/90 into Indiana if you’re leaving early Friday. Rush hour is awful that way. We like taking 57 down through Illinois rather than 65 down through Indiana. I feel there’s less traffic that way and you don’t have to deal with Indy or Louisville traffic.

Next piece of advice: download a traffic app called Waze. Its like Google Maps but gives really efficient routes around traffic backups. We had to use that several times to get around back ups from crashes and around Atlanta traffic.

Decide whether you want a long first day of driving and a short second day or you want to split it up evenly and that determines where to stop. There are some nice places in north Atlanta like Marietta. If you leave early, Saturday morning traffic inAtlanta will be a breeze. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter