Drive Like the Wind Bullseye! March 11-March 18, 2017-Dining Review - Last Update

Phew!

I have to say, your recount totally made me giggle. I knew you were going to be okay, but I was worried about an ambulance ride... While no fun at all, I'm glad you got quick and helpful care.

My allergies manifest themselves differently, and I have to say that even 90-some days out from our trip, I live in fear of being too far from a bathroom when I need it. :o

I haven't had this kind of reaction for almost 20 years. I kept telling my husband stories. I don't think he ever believed me until that day.

Don't you fret - there is one around every corner. Is this your first trip coming up??

I haven't had this kind of reaction for almost 20 years. I kept telling my husband stories. I don't think he ever believed me until that day.

Don't you fret - there is one around every corner. Is this your first trip coming up??

Bet he won't doubt you again!

Nope, not our first trip. But, our first trip onsite. In the past, I have basically dealt with my allergies by eating nothing all day long at the parks except dry snacks I carried in (basically rope-drop to about 6pm) and then eating a meal back at our rental. This time we are onsite and doing a fair bit of Disney dining, and I am rather nervous about how it will all go.

Bet he won't doubt you again!

Nope, not our first trip. But, our first trip onsite. In the past, I have basically dealt with my allergies by eating nothing all day long at the parks except dry snacks I carried in (basically rope-drop to about 6pm) and then eating a meal back at our rental. This time we are onsite and doing a fair bit of Disney dining, and I am rather nervous about how it will all go.

I have a teeeny tiny bladder. One of the best things about Disney is there is no shortage of bathrooms. I think you will be fine. I feel for you though. that is very stressful!!!

That must have been scary! I'm glad you're ok.

My SIL, MIL, DNiece and I will be going to the tea party in June. I can't wait!

That must have been scary! I'm glad you're ok.

My SIL, MIL, DNiece and I will be going to the tea party in June. I can't wait!

It was scary. I'm glad it worked out OK as well.

I love the tea party. Done it about 3-4 times now. I hope you love it, too. It is special.

Good lord woman, you are a rock star! A massive allergic reaction like that and you barely make a peep, go to urgent care, and have breakfast before the kids are even up (not to mention rescheduling your FPs). Wonder woman! So glad that the meds kicked in quickly. I have a terrible allergy to adhesives and prednisone is the only thing that works if I'm having a reaction. Steroids rule!

I hope the rest of your trip is less eventful...in a good way :)

Good lord woman, you are a rock star! A massive allergic reaction like that and you barely make a peep, go to urgent care, and have breakfast before the kids are even up (not to mention rescheduling your FPs). Wonder woman! So glad that the meds kicked in quickly. I have a terrible allergy to adhesives and prednisone is the only thing that works if I'm having a reaction. Steroids rule!

I hope the rest of your trip is less eventful...in a good way :)

I was pretty shocked at how WELL the steroids worked. And how quickly. I really feel like it helped me get through the rest of the trip. It was like I had an extra burst of energy.

Glad to hear the urgent care was able to help and you didn't have to go to the ER. I totally pictured that scene from Hitch in my head too on the last post when before you went to commercial break.

Glad to hear the urgent care was able to help and you didn't have to go to the ER. I totally pictured that scene from Hitch in my head too on the last post when before you went to commercial break.

Me too!! I did not want to go to the Er because it always takes forever and I still had two full days of Disney that needed to happen. Yes, I was pretty scary lookin - haha

How scary...I had an allergic reaction like that years ago! Found out I'm allergic to shellfish...Glad to hear all worked out in the end.

How scary...I had an allergic reaction like that years ago! Found out I'm allergic to shellfish...Glad to hear all worked out in the end.

I have a lobster allergy. But nothing I ate that day had ANY seafood in it at ALL. So we were really confused about what it was. We found out later what it might be, but that is story for another update :-)

Day 6 – Part Three

When I last left off we had just checked in at.

http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/jecskc/media/Disney 2017/Day 6/DSC04829.jpg.html

We put our name in and waited a bit.

http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/jecskc/media/Disney 2017/Day 6/DSC04830.jpg.html

They called out name we were seated. I love this place. So many things hanging on the wall literally hung on my own grandmother’s wall.

Our waiter was fun and sassy. Made the kids set the table and told them no walkie talkies. Called the GF Princess Ariel and DS Mop Top.

Anyway four of us ordered.

Aunt Liz's Golden Fried Chicken - served with roasted garlic mashed potatoes, chicken gravy and seasonal vegetables $21
http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/jecskc/media/Disney 2017/Day 6/IMG_3683.jpg.html

We had credits to burn, but if we did not – this would easily feed two people.

DH got

Cousin Ann's Traditional Meatloaf - a blend of beef and pork topped with tomato glaze, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, and green beans $18
http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/jecskc/media/Disney 2017/Day 6/DSC04832.jpg.html

For dessert, the kids all got milkshakes – mint choc ship for DD, and vanilla for the other two.

The waiter made the big kids clean off the table next to us. Haha. I was sort of surprised they did it and actually knew how.

I got.

Traditional Warm Apple Crisp - A la mode for $8
http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/jecskc/media/Disney 2017/Day 6/DSC04838.jpg.html

I love apple pie and apple crisp kinds of things. And this did not disappoint. Very warm and melty ice cream delicious.

It was DH’s birthday so he got a complimentary cupcake and we all sang Happy Birthday. Poor guy had to take me to urgent care on his birthday.

For his dessert he got

Dad's Brownie Sundae - chocolate brownie with Vanilla Ice Cream, Hot Fudge, Caramel sauce, whipped cream and toppings $6.5
http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/jecskc/media/Disney 2017/Day 6/DSC04836.jpg.html

I’ve had this before and it is very good as well.

The big kids went to ride RNR, while we looked in the shops. After they were done, DH dropped DD and I off at Epcot and then he took the big kids back to MK. He said he would meet us at Epcot later.

Your 50's meal looks great but that is a lot of food! I am planning on eating there in August but am going to do two appetizers for my meal. I have to save room for that apple crisp with ice cream!

Yikes on your allergic reaction!! That is so scary! Do you carry your Epi-Pen with you at all times? I have severe anaphylactic allergies as well and make sure I always have my Epi-Pen. Glad to hear that you were well taken care of at urgent care.

Your 50's meal looks great but that is a lot of food! I am planning on eating there in August but am going to do two appetizers for my meal. I have to save room for that apple crisp with ice cream!

Yikes on your allergic reaction!! That is so scary! Do you carry your Epi-Pen with you at all times? I have severe anaphylactic allergies as well and make sure I always have my Epi-Pen. Glad to hear that you were well taken care of at urgent care.

Hey Suse!!

Yes, they give you a ton of food. We may have left some on the table.

Yes, I always have an epi pen with me. But I never felt like I got to the point where I HAD to use it. And they didn't think so at the urgent care either. I'm still surprised at how well that steroid shot worked. It was pretty amazing.

Thanks so much for reading!!

OMG the way you must have looked and felt!!! You handled it so well for not having experienced a reaction in 20 years, I would've freaked out lol. So glad it all worked out even though it interrupted your day and I'm glad Disney hooked you back up with your missed FP's. Those are the stories I like to hear :)
Those desserts at 50's look delicious! It's been a few years since we've eaten there, younger DS gets pissed when the servers put him in his place :lmao:Might have to make a reservation there without telling him! DH had the meatloaf when we did go and loved it.

OMG the way you must have looked and felt!!! You handled it so well for not having experienced a reaction in 20 years, I would've freaked out lol. So glad it all worked out even though it interrupted your day and I'm glad Disney hooked you back up with your missed FP's. Those are the stories I like to hear :)
Those desserts at 50's look delicious! It's been a few years since we've eaten there, younger DS gets pissed when the servers put him in his place :lmao:Might have to make a reservation there without telling him! DH had the meatloaf when we did go and loved it.

We always love it there. That place and Yak and Yeti are the two places the kids always want to go back to. Neither of them have eve disappointed us. We enjoyed both places again this time.

Susan

Snacking around Epcot

DD wanted to do the Ellen ride so we did that.

After that we did Mission Space – green side.

Then DD ran around in the mist at the cool off station near Test Track (which had a two hour wait by this time)

Then she wanted some nachos, so we went to Mexico to get some.

This is a photo from a couple of years ago. She likes hers with just cheese so I got all of the other stuff on the side so we could share.

We still had snack credits to burn so we made our way over to Norway where DD got an ice cream bar since she said her nachos were spicy.

DH had made it over to meet us, so we headed to Germany to find him having a birthday beer.

DD and I got some more things from the Caramel shop to use up some snack credits.

At this point was when I received a phone call from the sous chef at the Grand Floridian following up on my allergic reaction. We went over what I was allergic to and what I ate and she was very puzzled that I would have had such a strong reaction to what I ate. She said she would check on some things and call me back.

About 10-15 minutes later, she calls me back with a possibility. The curry chicken salad had a mango paste in the recipe. The mango paste that they used was manufacture in a factory where they made ingredients for English tea sandwiches. One of those ingredients being fish paste. So perhaps there was some cross contamination at the factory. It was the only logical explanation. And really they only thing that made any sense. We all just sort of shrugged our shoulders and kind of moved on with it. Stuff happens, you know. But still it was puzzling.

After that, we moved on to America, where DH got some another sandwich and some beers from the Smokehouse booth with snack credits – well, not the beer – we had to pay for that.

I enjoyed a Mickey Pretzel

While DD enjoyed her very first funnel cake.

She LOVED this and is now obsessed with them. We went to a food truck festival today and one of the food trucks had funnel cakes and she was in heaven.

She had one last snack on her list

Kaki Gori from Japan

After that, we were pretty tired, but I thought I held up pretty well after practically no sleep and an urgent care visit that very morning. I’m pretty sure that steroid shot helped me through the next couple of days. My feet didn’t even hurt as much as they usually do.

We headed back to the resort and got some sleep.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter