Dress code?

jpeppers

DIS Veteran
I'm a guy who wears Jeans/shorts/t-shirts/tennis shoes. I have a suit but haven't worn it since my 1st wedding in 97 and doesn't quite fit the same and really don't want to wear a suit anyway. My question is do many people go on the cruises and skip the fancy dinners. I would rather have a Burger any way and my daughter would be happy without the fancy meal. Is the formal dinner necessary or a must do? My daughter is really pushing hard for a Disney cruise now because we have done all the parks so hope to get some answers. Thanks in advance for any answers?

There is typically only one real "dress up" night on DCL per cruise and some people go all out. That being said, you don't need to bring a suit or even a sports coat if you don't want to. My DH is not a 'formal' sort of guy. For the main dinners there are not shorts allowed in the dining room (though you will see it). My DH wears Dockers with a short sleeve polo type shirt for regular dinners in the primary restaurants, and for "formal" night he wears a regular collared dress shirt with or without a tie, and ditches the tie as soon as our photos are taken.
If you don't even want to go that far, you can skip the one formal meal and head to the bufet area or eat by the pool.

strictly Personal preference.

we absolutely Dress up.. DH in his Service Mess Dress Uniform and me in a floor length Ball gown.

I wear comfy/casual clothes all day every day, I look forward to dressing up.

we also choose to dress for dinner in the slacks/sun dresses and sit in the DR. it's all part of the total experience.

for US: grabbing a burger by the pool kind of defeats the purpose of a cruise.. we can get burgers and dogs at home. we look forward to finding new foods to enjoy and new taste experiences. nothing says it has to be fancy at all.

you can choose to do buffet dining the entire time and no one would think less of you if you chose that option. But personally i think you would be doing yourself a disservice to not at least TRY to experience every aspect. to include restaurant dining. more about the atmosphere and the company than the food any way, and there are ALWAYS simple options available.

and if you want Brunch at Palo you will need to dress accordingly( and it s sooooo worth the extra fee.. so many pizzas and every form of eggs benedict on the planet, pure bliss)

I'm a guy who wears Jeans/shorts/t-shirts/tennis shoes. I have a suit but haven't worn it since my 1st wedding in 97 and doesn't quite fit the same and really don't want to wear a suit anyway. My question is do many people go on the cruises and skip the fancy dinners. I would rather have a Burger any way and my daughter would be happy without the fancy meal. Is the formal dinner necessary or a must do? My daughter is really pushing hard for a Disney cruise now because we have done all the parks so hope to get some answers. Thanks in advance for any answers?

Depending on which cruise you do (3/4 night vs a 7 night) will depend on the overall uniqueness of "formal" night. On the shorter cruises, there is no true formal night. It's a "Dress up" night. I don't recall seeing a lot of men in suits. Plus, the menu is just whatever that restaurant's rotational menu is that night. It's not a unique menu for the dress-up night. I seem to recall most people dressing nice (dockers and a dress shirt), but not in formal wear. Although DCL requests no shorts, there were plenty of people who still wore shorts nonetheless. You won't get turned away if you show up in shorts at the dining room, even on formal or dress-up night.

On the 7-night cruises, more people dressed formal for the dress-up nights. The menu is also special to that night - usually one of the entree's is lobster. Again, even on the 7-night cruises, DCL will not turn you away if you're wearing jeans or shorts on formal night. They do request no shorts though.

The only place you would be turned away if you show up in shorts is Palo or Remy (on the new ships only). Those are the two extra-fee adult-only restaurants and they tend to be a bit more formal.

There is typically only one real "dress up" night on DCL per cruise and some people go all out. That being said, you don't need to bring a suit or even a sports coat if you don't want to. My DH is not a 'formal' sort of guy. For the main dinners there are not shorts allowed in the dining room (though you will see it). My DH wears Dockers with a short sleeve polo type shirt for regular dinners in the primary restaurants, and for "formal" night he wears a regular collared dress shirt with or without a tie, and ditches the tie as soon as our photos are taken.
If you don't even want to go that far, you can skip the one formal meal and head to the bufet area or eat by the pool.

strictly Personal preference.

we absolutely Dress up.. DH in his Service Mess Dress Uniform and me in a floor length Ball gown.

I wear comfy/casual clothes all day every day, I look forward to dressing up.

we also choose to dress for dinner in the slacks/sun dresses and sit in the DR. it's all part of the total experience.

for US: grabbing a burger by the pool kind of defeats the purpose of a cruise.. we can get burgers and dogs at home. we look forward to finding new foods to enjoy and new taste experiences. nothing says it has to be fancy at all.

you can choose to do buffet dining the entire time and no one would think less of you if you chose that option. But personally i think you would be doing yourself a disservice to not at least TRY to experience every aspect. to include restaurant dining. more about the atmosphere and the company than the food any way, and there are ALWAYS simple options available.

and if you want Brunch at Palo you will need to dress accordingly( and it s sooooo worth the extra fee.. so many pizzas and every form of eggs benedict on the planet, pure bliss)

Just to clarify- Topsiders/BBB on the Magic/Wonder do not serve a buffet at dinner. It is a sit-down meal, but is a lot less formal. The wait staff is generally in training, but do a good job There is a small salad bar though. I don't know if the Dream/Fantasy will have a dinner buffet option.

You can eat at the fast-food restaurants (Goofy's, Pluto's and Pinnochio's on the Wonder/Magic) for pizza, sandwiches or paninis/wraps. You can also grab room service.

Thank you for the answers, dressing up might be nice when you are a couple but I think my daughter and I would do better with the less formal options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!