Downsized Product Thread

BridgetBordeaux

DIS Veteran
We all know that it is hard to find a true half gallon of ice cream.

That is one of many products that has been downsized without raising the price.....making it look like the price did not go up.....but it really did.

A few months ago Kellogg's downsized cereal boxes and Dollar Tree has fewer batteries per pack for a dollar.

Yesterday I bought our usual Walgreen's facial tissues. They are no longer 160 per box........they are now 145. Thanks!

Post your downsized finds here. It may help us detect when the next wave of shrinking is occurring.

Back when the battery packs shrank, I combed through the stock at Dollar Tree and bought the last few full sized packs on the shelf.

The picture is of the old box and the new one. They just changed the look and style for the new version. Both are the Walgreens store brand tissues.

Attachments

• 1567691140122-357276731.jpg
    1567691140122-357276731.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
This is so old news. One of the originals, a coffee can used to be a pound.

Some stores are sneaking in 1.5 liter bottles of soda.

The one that bugs me the most is the starkist no drain pouch now has enough water in it you need to drain it so it mixes well. Defeats the purpose but since a pouch is a single serving it's still easier than a can. Not that the calories went down to account for less tuna.

Some stores are sneaking in 1.5 liter bottles of soda.
LOL. And while I have seen them here once in a while, 3 liter bottles of soda seem to be hot where my FIL lives in East Texas.

I don't like how the Scott toilet paper is now narrower than in the past. It makes the roller show too much. The cheap store brand is still bigger, so I get that, and have for a long time.

Barilla whole wheat pasta. I picked up a package of angel hair that my husband had purchased the other day and was shocked at how light it was. At first I thought we'd used just a portion of the box. Nope, it was 14.5 oz instead of the 16 oz it was before (I'm going off memory as the box was recycled).

Yesterday at the cash while waiting in line I remembered we were out of oatmeal so I ran quickly and grabbed a box of instant sachets. I remember thinking if the box was smaller than usual but paid no attention to it. Sure enough this morning after opening it I realised there were only 8 sachets in it. The last box I bought had 10 but the price was the same. I have been noticing for a while now that boxes and weights of different products are smaller than before.

I don't like how the Scott toilet paper is now narrower than in the past. It makes the roller show too much. The cheap store brand is still bigger, so I get that, and have for a long time.

Scott 1000? Absolutely terrible. If it has gotten thinner, it must be almost invisible now.

I noticed either Office Depot or Staples running an ad for reams of paper for $1 recently. The "ream" is 300 sheets of paper (they are usually 500).

Hebrew National Beef Franks. Down from eight to six per package, and they may have even been ten originally.
You have to look at package weight. Some dogs are bigger, bun length, then others. Sometimes a brand will offer 2 different packages, same total weight but different dog count.

Edited to add I suspect your right, but your example could go either way

You have to look at package weight. Some dogs are bigger, bun length, then others. Sometimes a brand will offer 2 different packages, same total weight but different dog count.

Edited to add I suspect your right, but your example could go either way
True. This specific brand is now all sixes, except the jumbo dogs which contain just four! I gotta some day calculate if Nathan's family pack is cheaper by unit.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves.
Not national but a “funny” story on this topic: We have one of those little hole in the wall takeout Chinese places near us they my family called “cheap Chinese”. We’d get takeout every couple weeks and it was good ( and cheap). The owners sold it and the food wasn’t quite as good but I went to get our usual go to meal which included a quart of chicken fried rice. When I got home I quickly realized it was noticeably smaller than normal. (In fact the bottom of the take out carton stated 28oz. ) I called them and complained that I’d asked for a quart as their menu stated but that this was not a quart. The owner replied “that is OUR quart” We stopped going there!

Hebrew National Beef Franks. Down from eight to six per package, and they may have even been ten originally.

Hebrew National always had 7 in a package instead of 8. (People always complained because buns come in packs of 8). Interesting that they downsized to 6 since the whole reason they had 7 was because it has religious significance.

it may have changed a long while ago but i didn't notice it until i went to buy a bag of sugar last christmas time-the old tradition of the 5 pound bags of c&h have been downsized in weight to 4 pounds. the bags are the identical size (compared the new one to the existing in my cabinet) but a pound less at the same if not higher price.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves.
Not national but a “funny” story on this topic: We have one of those little hole in the wall takeout Chinese places near us they my family called “cheap Chinese”. We’d get takeout every couple weeks and it was good ( and cheap). The owners sold it and the food wasn’t quite as good but I went to get our usual go to meal which included a quart of chicken fried rice. When I got home I quickly realized it was noticeably smaller than normal. (In fact the bottom of the take out carton stated 28oz. ) I called them and complained that I’d asked for a quart as their menu stated but that this was not a quart. The owner replied “that is OUR quart” We stopped going there!

I have to laugh at this because I've never heard of a business with its own system of measurement.

Exactly - a quart is a quart.

Imagine gas stations selling “their” gallon of gas. ( of course I’ve traveled outside the U.S. where gas is sold in liters).

I think later they changed it to large and small instead of pint and quart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!