Downgraded

I would be upset if I had to fight for a refund for the difference. That is very poor business, and I would have spoken to the manager.

which WDW resort did this?

most of the time disney upgrades not downgrades.

they just sell (especially at the new prices) more in standard views.

A few years ago we were downgraded at Pop. I paid for a preferred view, but was given a standard view. If I hadn't known where the preferred rooms were, the CM was not even going to tell me. When I mentioned it, he nonchalantly said, "Oh yes, you did book a preferred room. Sorry, we're overbooked, so had to put you in a standard. That happens alot." He then just kept on checking us in, like it wasn't a big deal. When I told him, I wanted the price difference refunded then, he gave a giant sigh, told me a manager would have to be called, they were all busy, and did I really want to go to that much trouble since the price difference for a week really wasn't all that much.:mad::headache: When I told him what I actually wanted was the room I paid for, but if that was not possible, at least wanted the price difference refunded, he finally got a manager over there to approve it. We were defintely downgraded, not upgraded. I had booked a preferred room because I had my elderly mom with me and wanted her to be close to the food court and buses. We didn't get the room we paid for and had to argue to even get the price difference refunded.

Once visit, we were checking in to POR and told that they were sold out and needed to move us to one of the All Stars (can't recall which) - I very nicely told them that was not acceptable and after about a half hour of the CM running back and forth to her Manager, they told us we could stay, but the next family wouldn't have a choice.

Like others, I have been downgraded at a Value. However, when we checked in, the CM immediately told us and they had already processed the refund earlier that day. I just chalked it up to "stuff happens" and went on about our vacation.

However, I certainly wouldn't stand for a downgrade to a lower level resort.

I'm just back from my first stay at POFQ, and my "downgrade" turned out to be a big plus. This was my first moderate stay after being used to interior corridors, and I had a river view booked - not for the view, but for complicated and silly reasons involving feeling more secure being able to see the whole side of the building before I got to it and not wanting to be put somewhere where the building was obscured by too many trees/growth that I would have to venture through to get there (hey, I said this was silly).

Anyway... My CM at check-in was very nice; she explained that they did not have a river view available for me and they had given me a garden view and credited me the difference (she volunteered this info right off the bat, I did not have to ask). Turned out I had gotten a wonderful location: Bldg 5, 3rd floor, in the section nearest the main building and facing the lawn where they show the movies. Out my door in the morning, turn the corner, straight ahead to the stairs, and a few more steps to the "back door" of the food court.

I LOVED POFQ, by the way; no longer worried about feeling insecure about the exterior corridors, and next time would just book Garden in the first place.

My Dad taught me many years ago that life isn't fair. I taught my kids this as well.
I would be upset, but I wouldn't stress about whether it was fair to me.
Neither would I "demand" relief, but rather work with the CM's to reach resolution.

In my case I didn't demand relief. Just the difference back for the upcharge to the preferred room I didn't get. And as far as working with the CM to reach a resolution goes, I was told before I could even ask that all the Value resorts were booked and none of them had preferred rooms available. It was definitely take it or leave it.

Life isn't fair. But you should still get what you pay for.

I want to add that the second time I was downgraded I had used On Line Check In right at the 10 day out mark. And that experiences is a good part of the reason why I don't bother with OLCI. I would have thought they could have looked and known I was coming and made sure I had the room type I had booked. Because I am sure that not every person who checked into a preferred room that day had used OLCI. Seems it should give you some sort of leg up.

karly05 said:
I'm just back from my first stay at POFQ, and my "downgrade" turned out to be a big plus. This was my first moderate stay after being used to interior corridors, and I had a river view booked - not for the view, but for complicated and silly reasons involving feeling more secure being able to see the whole side of the building before I got to it and not wanting to be put somewhere where the building was obscured by too many trees/growth that I would have to venture through to get there (hey, I said this was silly).

Anyway... My CM at check-in was very nice; she explained that they did not have a river view available for me and they had given me a garden view and credited me the difference (she volunteered this info right off the bat, I did not have to ask). Turned out I had gotten a wonderful location: Bldg 5, 3rd floor, in the section nearest the main building and facing the lawn where they show the movies. Out my door in the morning, turn the corner, straight ahead to the stairs, and a few more steps to the "back door" of the food court.

I LOVED POFQ, by the way; no longer worried about feeling insecure about the exterior corridors, and next time would just book Garden in the first place.

You stayed in my favorite building! I like to stay deluxe but if I go moderate it's POFQ building 5!

I have been upgraded, never downgraded. But then again I only pay for standard view. I would be fine moving categories within a resort. I would not be very happy though if I had to change resorts, which I have read about on here.

I know it happens but i would be extremely upset. Most people plan and research where they want to stay for months or years and then to have it switched on them would be terrible. Would not be feeling Disney magic for the trip.:sad:

Your trip would be ruined because you didn't get the view that you wanted for the very few waking hours you'd spend in your room? Really?

I can imagine a passing few moments of irritation, but geez louize, minor in the grand scheme of things, yes?

I would be upset if I had to fight for a refund for the difference. That is very poor business, and I would have spoken to the manager.

Now this, I agree with. The difference should be credited immediately at check in. That is absurd.

Now this, I agree with. The difference should be credited immediately at check in. That is absurd.

Ok, I'm not sure if this is true, or just what they told me at the time.

When they didn't have my paid for preferred room available, they did offer to move me if and when one opened up. However, I was there with the dining package and only for 4 nights, so I didn't want to deal with the hassle and the possibility of my dining being screwed up somehow. So I declined the offer. Apparently to them that means they don't owe you back the difference. At least that is what they told me when I questioned a few days in why I didn't get the upgrade amount back.

I sent off an e-mail once I was home, and received a phone call back. According to the nice lady I spoke with, they are not supposed to downgrade people, and they are not supposed to keep the extra charge, even if they offer to move you and you decline. Too bad the resorts don't seem to know that.:headache:

ThreeBeans said:
Your trip would be ruined because you didn't get the view that you wanted for the very few waking hours you'd spend in your room? Really?

I can imagine a passing few moments of irritation, but geez louize, minor in the grand scheme of things, yes?

Count me with the people who would be truly inconvenienced by a view downgrade. Not everyone spends few waking hours in their room. Some of us find Disney only bearable if we get away from the parks for long breaks. If I book a savannah or lagoon view and pay that upgrade I expect to see said view every time I drink my coffee in the morning. Every time I take a sanity break and every time I enjoy a cocktail in the evening.

Right now we're a week out and haven't been to disney in 8 years. I don't care if they stick us in a broom closet, I'll be so happy to just be there!~

Wow, that sounds pathetic, doesn't it.... :lmao:

Right now we're a week out and haven't been to disney in 8 years. I don't care if they stick us in a broom closet, I'll be so happy to just be there!~

Love it! That's funny! I, too, wouldn't sweat it for this next trip because one of the nights I have added to our trip is @ POR garden view....If I got there and had been put in a standard view and given a refund that's fine with me.

Now in the case of the refund having to be practically "begged" for, that would irritate me and it is bad business. No one should have to do that for their error.

No :lmao:

I'd be perfectly happy even if the view wasn't what I had hoped for :confused3

I do understand that it's more than an inconvenience for those who need preferred rooms due to have a physically challenged person in their party.

You stayed in my favorite building! I like to stay deluxe but if I go moderate it's POFQ building 5!

I have been upgraded, never downgraded. But then again I only pay for standard view. I would be fine moving categories within a resort. I would not be very happy though if I had to change resorts, which I have read about on here.

I was pleased by how much I loved POFQ (esp. being kind of a Beach Club Snob coming in, ha ha). Agreed that I would not have wanted to switch resorts, unless they wanted to upgrade me to YC/BC or GF or something, ha ha. I chose POFQ for the compact layout and charming atmosphere, and would not have wanted to switch to another mod or value. And I really really wouldn't have wanted one of the "remote" DVCs like Saratoga or Key West, no matter how nice.

I had the worst "Garden View" view on our last stay at YC. Though, because there were trees (albeit dead ones) between us and the bus stop, I guess that counts as garden. :rotfl:

(Mind you, I love YC and we didn't care since we weren't in the room often enough to mind... though I can imagine people probably would complain about that particular room and its supposed "garden" category.)

I believe this is the view we had at the YC on our trip in August - we were facing the front walkway with the bus stop and our "garden" view included a very ugly tree and a small crane as they were doing some work. Pretty crummy garden view, definitely felt like it should have been a standard view.

I'm shocked by the experiences a few people have posted on this thread of being downgraded, uninformed of it, and then having to request to be refunded the price difference. The one thing to me that sets Disney apart from competitors is their exceptional customer service, so how the CMs handled these situations is what surprised me. I realize mistakes happen, and if we were to be downgraded, I would be disappointed and a little bummed but at the end of the day I'd quickly get over it because I'd be thrilled to just be at Disney. But to have to ask to be credited back the price difference, that's absolutely wrong. That is what would rub me wrong.

We were at CBR in September, and there was a problem with our room bc there was mold on the walls and my whole family has breathing issues and can't be around mold. We were told by the dude in charge that they couldn't downgrade us. They were only allowed to upgrade us. He said if they couldn't move things around and get us something there, they would upgrade us to a deluxe. They ended up being able to put us in Jamaica, and the walk was short and gorgeous, so I was happy. I would have loved being put in a deluxe, but was very happy with our location and the fastpass they gave us. I may still write to Disney though bc we lost half a day sorting it out and between that and the airline changing my brother's flight, he only got a couple hours at Epcot, his favorite park. That was very sad for us. I would be very upset to be downgraded. I didn't read the whole thread, so is this only happening at values? Like I said, our dude said he wasn't allowed to downgrade us, and we were at a moderate.

It doesn't sound pathetic.
I always say I would sleep on the ground at Disney. However, it would bug me if I paid for something, got downgraded, then had to wait for a refund. At least refund me asap so I can spend it AT Disney!!! I have feet issues, so I need a room location close to the food, so I pay extra for that. It would be bad for me to be shoved way in the back of the resort having to hoof it in pain.

aubriee said:
A few years ago we were downgraded at Pop. I paid for a preferred view, but was given a standard view. If I hadn't known where the preferred rooms were, the CM was not even going to tell me. When I mentioned it, he nonchalantly said, "Oh yes, you did book a preferred room. Sorry, we're overbooked, so had to put you in a standard. That happens alot." He then just kept on checking us in, like it wasn't a big deal. When I told him, I wanted the price difference refunded then, he gave a giant sigh, told me a manager would have to be called, they were all busy, and did I really want to go to that much trouble since the price difference for a week really wasn't all that much.:mad::headache: When I told him what I actually wanted was the room I paid for, but if that was not possible, at least wanted the price difference refunded, he finally got a manager over there to approve it. We were defintely downgraded, not upgraded. I had booked a preferred room because I had my elderly mom with me and wanted her to be close to the food court and buses. We didn't get the room we paid for and had to argue to even get the price difference refunded.

I would have freaked on that horrible cm. Hope you got his name and reported his attitude. You paid for something and was not receiving it, who wouldn't expect their money back?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter