Down the Rabbit Hole – a Vegan Alice and Omnivore Mad Hatter Taste Wonderland

Yeah, I had only heard of using Ener-G for baking also! I had heard of it, but even when he mentioned an "egg alternative" omelette I was skeptical. Like I said, I was really only interested in a few items, and eggs wasn't one of them! But he's a chef...he knows what he's doing, right?! Oh well...lesson learned for him!

Great review! Im in

Thanks for joining!

Great review. I'm in!!

And btw I have a Mickey waffle maker at home and both while in Disney and at home I always eat Mickey's ears first!!! Don't know why but always have!!!

Well I wasn't going to go into the fact that I always ate the left ear first...that would make me too OCD. But now that I have someone of a like mind, I can share that, as well!

I may need to get one of those waffle makers...do they turn out the same way the one's in Disney do? YUM!

OMG! That "omelet" is just about the scariest thing I've ever seen on a plate! :scared1: Blech, I would have taken one look and made a beeline for the door, no way I could have tried it either. :sick:

Really enjoying your reviews, it's great to get both perspectives. Looking forward to more!

We DID run out of there after that! But mostly because we were stuffed and ready to hit the parks! Thanks for reading - I have tons more to post!

Ewwwwwww....that is just scary!!!! He should be ashamed of himself for even bringing it out. Thanks for the reviews, by the way. It's great to see how accommodating they can be. I'm glad I don't have any allergies, but many members of my family (mother, grandpa, aunt, uncles) are diabetic so it's good to know that if any of them decide to join me, they won't have any problems.

You're very welcome for the reviews! Most of the chefs were incredibly accommodating - hopefully you'll be able to get some ideas for your family in the future!

He probably was following the 'directions' that show how to make 1 or 2 eggs worth but didn't realize it was just for baking, etc. They use the EnerG replacer when making the Vegan Mickey Waffles, so why night, right? Ha! He would have had much better luck with Tofu!

Bottom line is, I can't believe he plated that!

Oh-No! Thats one of my ADR's too. Is the Strawberry Soup Not Vegan???? I was planning on making a meal of just that and Mickey Waffles.

I will always go back to 1900 simply because Grand Floridian is my favorite resort and I love Alice in Wonderland! That said, they don't do the BEST job as far as breakfast goes compared with some of the other resorts, but it's still good!

Unfortunately the Strawberry soup isn't even close to vegan; the recipe is online and includes heavy cream, sour cream and yogurt! (http://www.allearsnet.com/din/rec_straw.htm). BUT, I have heard rumors that if you ask, they can make it dairy free!

Please try that when you're there and let me know! Mickey Waffles and Strawberry soup sounds good for ANY meal of the day!

Wow, that "omelet" thing looks, well awful! I am surprised they even brought it out and gave it to you. YUCK!!

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather have a chef with a willing attitude try and fail, than one who just says "sorry, I can't [all the while thinking, I won't] do anything for you." Like you said, it was definitely a lesson learned for him.

1900 Park Fare was a treat for the eyes and the belly! It was nice to experience a Character Breakfast. My Wife had been pumping me up for this for the past 180 days and when I got there I was whisked into Neverland as Alice, The Hatter, Pooh, Mary Poppins, and Tiger filled my plane of vision! It's worth it just for the experience.

But then you add a great breakfast on top of it and it makes it fully worth while! So yes the Strawberry Soup is exactly how everyone describes it...delicious, marvelous, tasty beyond measure...fill in the blank! You gotta get it, and Mandi said that they might be able to make it Vegan by substituting Soy milk for the cream...you might want to ask ahead of time...

The waffles and omelette were great and the whole experience as a whole was exactly what I had in mind. As Mandi said, don't bother with the picture in the beginning, it wasn't worth $30 (I wish it was a photopass opportunity, but it wasn't). Once again, it was nice not having to worry about the price either because of the Disney Dinning Plan! The Park Fare filled both my belly full of food and my head full of imagination and dreams of Wonderland to prepare me for the Magical day ahead!

Thanks for joining!

Well I wasn't going to go into the fact that I always ate the left ear first...that would make me too OCD. But now that I have someone of a like mind, I can share that, as well!

I may need to get one of those waffle makers...do they turn out the same way the one's in Disney do? YUM!

They are a little different because they are bigger and not as fat but still really good. We got it about 6 years ago as a Christmas gift after having Mickey waffles at Disney. It is a tradition that we have Mickey waffles every Christmas morning. Guess it's my little slice of Disney when I'm not there.

And by the way, now that I think about it I think I eat the right ear first every time!!! LOL

Hahahahaha. I love your review so far, even though that omelet was just gross. I will echo everyone else's thoughts - why not just keep some silken tofu on hand in the kitchen? Most vegans are aware that tofu works like a charm for scrambles in the morning, but I guess the chef never tried it.

Maybe he'll be inspired to give it a go or something in the future, who knows. I would hope so. We have a box of Ener-G egg replacer that my vegetarian husband likes to use in his baking (we have an understanding - I do the cooking, he does the baking).

Thanks for your reviews, looking forward to more!

Great reviews so far!!!!!!!!!! I agree with everyone that the egg looks disgusting, lol. Kudos to him for trying though, have to give him credit for that.

I'm a new vegan, 4 weeks now since I made the switch from vegetarian to vegan and it's been easier than I ever thought it would be.

Just tonight we went to a Thai restaurant that had a vegan menu (seperate from the regular menu). It was so good, and I love when places have it all set up so you don't have to ask a million questions about what you can and can't have. I even order the Thai iced tea with soy milk instead of cream!!

This year we are doing the QSDP, so it will be very interesting to see how I do being vegan with all counter services. I think the only actual sit down restaurant we are doing this year is Boma, because it's my absolute favorite. We decided to do a stress free vacation this year and not worry about having to have dining plans.

Oh - I'd love to see the things you got as snacks with your dining plan snack credits. I'm making a list of vegan snacks as well as vegan counter service items so it's easier to eat.

I am enjoying your reviews! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for reading them!

They are a little different because they are bigger and not as fat but still really good. We got it about 6 years ago as a Christmas gift after having Mickey waffles at Disney. It is a tradition that we have Mickey waffles every Christmas morning. Guess it's my little slice of Disney when I'm not there.

I am definitely looking on Amazon right now for one of those Waffle Makers...and we may just have to start our own Christmas morning tradition in this way! You've inspired me!

Hahahahaha. I love your review so far, even though that omelet was just gross. I will echo everyone else's thoughts - why not just keep some silken tofu on hand in the kitchen? Most vegans are aware that tofu works like a charm for scrambles in the morning, but I guess the chef never tried it.

Maybe he'll be inspired to give it a go or something in the future, who knows. I would hope so. We have a box of Ener-G egg replacer that my vegetarian husband likes to use in his baking (we have an understanding - I do the cooking, he does the baking).

Thanks for your reviews, looking forward to more!

I love tofu scrambles! Surely they had some back there - maybe next time I'll make that suggestion...if I even venture beyond the waffles at this particular place. I think some of the restaurants at Disney are just a little more prepared for different diets!

Great reviews so far!!!!!!!!!! I agree with everyone that the egg looks disgusting, lol. Kudos to him for trying though, have to give him credit for that.

I'm a new vegan, 4 weeks now since I made the switch from vegetarian to vegan and it's been easier than I ever thought it would be.

Just tonight we went to a Thai restaurant that had a vegan menu (seperate from the regular menu). It was so good, and I love when places have it all set up so you don't have to ask a million questions about what you can and can't have. I even order the Thai iced tea with soy milk instead of cream!!

This year we are doing the QSDP, so it will be very interesting to see how I do being vegan with all counter services. I think the only actual sit down restaurant we are doing this year is Boma, because it's my absolute favorite. We decided to do a stress free vacation this year and not worry about having to have dining plans.

Oh - I'd love to see the things you got as snacks with your dining plan snack credits. I'm making a list of vegan snacks as well as vegan counter service items so it's easier to eat.

First of all, congrats on going on 4 weeks with the vegan diet! It's really not that hard if you live in an area that has items at grocery stores and restaurants that can accommodate you!

From what I saw, most of the quick service locations had at least SOMETHING that can be made vegan, even if like the Lighthouse sandwich, was originally just vegetarian.

As far as snacks go...that was one area we will have to do better in next time! I just didn't have the stomach room alot of times after all the food! But, I'm going to post all the vegan treats you can have at each of the parks...so I hope that will help you out in your planning!

While we were in the park that morning, I pointed out potential lunch spots to Jeremy as we would pass them. I let him know that today was his day to choose. We could do Crystal Palace’s buffet if he wanted to do another character meal (we had an ADR). Or, we could go the easy route and have counter service at any number of places.

As lunchtime approached we had worked up quite an appetite, so unfortunately we wanted to eat when everyone else in the park had that in mind, also. Jeremy wanted something quicker, thinking it would be nice to head to the pool afterward and get in some lounging time before we got dressed for dinner.

I let him know what types of food each counter service offered, and he decided on Columbia Harbour House. I was secretly happy about this because I knew they had a delicious looking sandwich made with Hummus.

455771406_fac4daa782.jpg

We walked in, were comforted by the cool air inside, but then instantly wanted to turn around by the sight of the line in front of us. It was a madhouse. Looking back, this was the only time we ate somewhere that was mobbed by people – and it also happened to be our only counter service meal of the entire trip!

We were troopers though, and faced the mass of people head-on. One thing I noted was that even though it appeared we would be able to place our order soon as the line got shorter for us, the people in front of us were ordering for a huge number of people!

When it was our turn, Jeremy was quick to place his order, turning to me to make my selection. After mentioning I was vegan and needed an alternative for the dessert, the waiter told me he had to call the manager. Even though I said that wouldn’t be necessary since I knew exactly what I could have, he was insistent, and the manager came to confirm my order.

IMG_1671.jpg

IMG_1670.jpg

We had to wait on the large families in front of us as they gathered their huge amounts of French fries and sodas. The poor attendants behind the counter were more confused than we were, mixing up drinks and side items.

When we picked up our food, they had given me chips instead of French fries, but it was easily remedied and we went to find a less noisy spot in the seating area upstairs.

Ravenous at this point, I didn’t care that they had also forgotten both of our desserts. Jeremy wasn’t concerned either, since we still had two snack credits each for that day!

IMG_1675.jpg

He ordered the Chicken Nuggets and Fries. While there wasn’t much to them other than that, he loves these two food items, and when combined with Honey Mustard I don’t think he could have been happier at that moment. Nothing bad to report, but nothing different than any other fast food nuggets meal either, for that matter.

IMG_1674.jpg

I had ordered the Lighthouse Sandwich without the broccoli slaw, which had dairy in it. I also ordered a side of French fries, which I received after the mix-up of potato chips. The sandwich was actually very large, even while only containing hummus and tomato on multigrain bread. It wasn’t too heavy after walking hours in the sun, but was filling, so I didn’t wind up eating many of the fries.

For dessert, Jeremy had ordered the Chocolate cake, and I was able to get grapes. Like I mentioned earlier, with all the chaos at the counter we did not receive our desserts. But neither of us thought the desserts were appetizing enough to face the throngs of hungry people again!

It didn’t take long for us to finish up and leave. Total out of pocket would have been $28.31. Would we go back? Only if we were on a meal plan that included quick service meals. For us, we didn’t like the chaotic, rushed feeling. There are many people that view eating in the parks as just something that they need to get over and done with, but we really love food and like to enjoy the experience of dining. The food was good, but nothing at all special and I feel a waste of one of our meal credits.

That said, Columbia Harbour House offered a better selection than many of the counter service restaurants in Magic Kingdom, and had a lot of seating space in the upstairs portion of the restaurant.

The last time I was at Columbia Harbor House, I was a vegetarian so I had the lighthouse sandwich with the slaw on it. It was pretty amazing for a quick service, so if you're a vegetarian the sandwich is really delicious too. I think if we end up there again, I'll get the veggie chili. I think what I loved most about Columbia Harbor House was that when we went upstairs to look for a seat, it was actually really quiet.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Great reviews once again, looking forward to more!

Hi
I'm really enjoying reading your reviews!! I don't eat any meat, so I'm always interested in non meat reviews!! Thanks for taking your time to share!!

I read another post where you were talking about vegan bakery items at Boardwalk Bakery. Did you happen to try any during your trip? We are going for my nieces 13th birthday and I would love to get her a vegan birthday cake or some kind of bakery item. Thanks! I have enjoyed your reviews:thumbsup2

The last time I was at Columbia Harbor House, I was a vegetarian so I had the lighthouse sandwich with the slaw on it. It was pretty amazing for a quick service, so if you're a vegetarian the sandwich is really delicious too. I think if we end up there again, I'll get the veggie chili. I think what I loved most about Columbia Harbor House was that when we went upstairs to look for a seat, it was actually really quiet.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Great reviews once again, looking forward to more!

The sandwich was actually really good! It was pretty busy even in the upstairs seating area when we went, though. I'm sure that had a lot to do with the fact that we decided to eat at prime lunch hour! I've heard the veggie chili is good, and I would probably get that if we wind up there in the fall, when it's a bit cooler! That paired with the sandwich would make for a delicious meal.

Hi
I'm really enjoying reading your reviews!! I don't eat any meat, so I'm always interested in non meat reviews!! Thanks for taking your time to share!!

Well hopefully you'll get lots of options for your next trip! Thanks for reading :goodvibes

I read another post where you were talking about vegan bakery items at Boardwalk Bakery. Did you happen to try any during your trip? We are going for my nieces 13th birthday and I would love to get her a vegan birthday cake or some kind of bakery item. Thanks! I have enjoyed your reviews:thumbsup2

Yes! I'll be reviewing the Boardwalk Bakery for the next morning's breakfast actually...so just a few more posts before I get there!

I know for a fact that if you contact special diets, they will get you in touch with the bakers that make all special events cakes for people. They can ABSOLUTELY make a vegan cake! I had thought about doing this for my husband, since we were there for his birthday, but with just the two of us, I knew it wouldn't all get eaten and didn't want to waste it!

I will second my Alice on this one with Columbia Harbor House! We didn't need to eat quick service due to our Dinning Plan, so the advice from the Hatter is as follows, "If you can drink tea, why would you not drink tea?" We had to ability to "Drink Tea" by going to a sit down Table service meal, instead we chose to "Drink Ground Leaves" instead...so if you have a table service and can choose between a table service and a quick service, your choice should be simple...TABLE SERVICE.

The crowds are always crazy and you can't even choose a line that you think is shorter...it's going to be crazy either way. The food was good, don't get me wrong! It was just as good as any fast food service, I would just go with the Hatter and enjoy your Tea with some Butter in the Watch!

Yours truly,
A Mad Hatter

For Jeremy, MK was the ultimate place to indulge in just about any type of treat he could imagine. Dole Whips, Ice Cream concoctions in practically any flavor, Mickey Bars Sandwiches, beautiful looking Caramel Apples, and Rice Crispy Treats covered in any assortment of confection…also in the shape of the Mouse in many cases!

For Vegans and those with dairy allergies however, the pickings can be a bit slim. I researched and planned the snacks I would be able to have at each park months in advance, coming up with a list to take to the parks with me. While yes, this was most likely very OCD on my part, it really helped out when we were there. I knew exactly what treats I could have, and where they could be found!

Here’s the list of treats in Magic Kingdom that I found to be Vegan. While I’m sure this isn’t complete, it was what I've found from my own research and from contacting Disney Special Diets.

Vegan Root Beer Float – Main Street Ice Cream Parlor

Chocolate Chip Cookies (Divvies) – Main Street Bakery

Jellybeans (Divvies) – Main Street Bakery

Caramel Corn (Divvies) – Main Street Bakery

Rice Dream and Tofutti Ice Cream – Plaza Ice Cream Parlor

Fruit, Pickles – Adventureland Market Fresh Snacks/ Mickey’s Toon Town Farmer’s Market

Lemonade Slush/Raspberry Lemonade Slush – Enchanted Grove/Sunshine Tree Terrace

Orange Slush – Sunshine Tree Terrace

Candy Apples – Main Street Confectionary

Various carts throughout the park also sell Popcorn and plain Pretzels - Also Vegan!

Divvies Jelly Beans are not Vegan as per their website. Hope you didn't eat them, and were just mentioning them.

Oh you're kidding?! Wow, I didn't eat them but Disney lists them as allergy free and puts them in the same area with the Caramel Corn and Cookies. Glad I didn't! Thanks for the head's up :sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter