Down the Rabbit Hole – a Vegan Alice and Omnivore Mad Hatter Taste Wonderland

Mama Melrose was fantastic! Chef Christian was one of the nicest chefs I have ever met and he did everything to make our dining experience one of the best of the trip! I mean our first meal at Disney, my first meal there ever and we hit a homerun on the first swing. I am a lover of cheese and I will have to tell you that they know their cheese! And yes my wife says I was boring and just picked the vanilla gelato, but it’s worth the try. If you are like me, and are not a huge fan of Italian desserts (If you are a fan of Italian desserts that had all sorts of choices), it was a great alternative and was delicious!

And if you haven't had Divies cookies you won't know that they are vegan! Mandi's entire meal was excellent. It was fresh and delicious. I enjoy eating Mandi's vegan meals most of the time and there was nothing about this meal that I could have told was Vegan or not. It tasted that good! I give Mama Melrose a 10 and want to tell you that it needs to be on your reservation list!

After stuffing ourselves from lunch, we walked around Hollywood Studios seeing the sights and riding the rides until it was about time to eat again!

“We’re Late! We’re Late! For a VERY important date!”

Our dinner reservations were in Epcot, so this time we took the ferry from HS thinking it would be a much quicker ride. We were mistaken! The boat made stops at each resort; after the third time of docking to a pier while waiting on the slow pokes with nothing better to do than leisurely stroll through their vacation (what kind of tourists are these people?!), we decided to jump off and power walk the rest of the way…once again we were running a bit behind and that just isn’t like us at all!

We actually wound up arriving right on time for our 8:00pm reservations. Phew! Strangely, there was no one waiting around for a table, but I thought perhaps it was only because everyone was trying to snag a spot to view Illuminations.

After the hostess noted my allergy, she asked me a few personal questions of her own in a thick French accent. What I got out of our brief conversation was that she couldn’t understand why I would choose not to eat meat, and how sad it was for me that I couldn’t eat cheese. That pretty much sums it up – I happen to kind of like the French way of just putting things out there, though! Coming from the South, you don't always experience this!

IMG_1606-1.jpg

We were seated in a great spot – in a back corner where we would partially be able to watch the fireworks when they began. We also had a gorgeous view of the backside of the bar, as you can see from the picture above! Millie was our waitress, and seemed very friendly and helpful. She noted that I was vegan and said she would speak with the chef, but didn’t seem optimistic that they would have anything for me. She took our drink orders first though, and suggested something that wasn’t on the menu – a cocktail of St. Germain, Sparkling Water, and Champagne. It was fantastic! Very refreshing and large enough that we both only ordered one!

IMG_1609.jpg

Millie came back and said that the chef couldn’t do much more than a salad for my appetizer, a vegetable plate for my entrée, and some sorbet for dessert. I was ok with this but a bit disappointed after the impeccable service we had received at Mama Melrose. Either way, I was very hungry by this point and anything sounded good!

IMG_1603-1.jpg

Here's Jeremy debating over what to order, but of course this was taken immediate upon sitting down. This Mad Hatter already had his entire meal planned out by the time I was ordering an appetizer! I quickly finalized the rest of my order and we were brought out a baguette to munch on. We hardly touched this part of the meal, though.

IMG_1607-1.jpg

Our appetizers quickly arrived after this.

IMG_1614.jpg

Jeremy got the Lobster Bisque, and while it looked quite plain, he assured me that it was delicious and would recommend it to others. I believe he thought it could have used to be heated just a little more, though.

IMG_1616.jpg

My Mixed Green Salad had a very good vinaigrette on it, which is a good thing since I wound up picking off the raw onions, which made it consist of mostly just greens and Roma tomatoes. This left me lots of room for later, though!

As our entrees arrived, we both had to laugh at the obvious difference between the two.

IMG_1619.jpg

Jeremy ordered the Roasted Breast of Duck and Leg Confit. It came with green beans and sweet potatoes in a spiced honey sauce. He raved about the duck! Never a fan of green beans, he didn’t bother with those too much, but said the sweet potato was very good (although not in the least bit spiced).

IMG_1617.jpg

Mine came out and once again I was pleasantly surprised! The Veggie plate actually had a Ratatouille in the center, making everything warm, spicy, and comforting. There were three types of potatoes on the plate, as well as tomatoes, carrots, and green beans. I thought they could have offered a bit more variety than potatoes three ways, but the Ratatouille more than made up for it…I wound up devouring it all!

Desserts came a bit later, allowing us time to take in the fireworks and water displays we could view from the window. Jeremy was originally going to order the crepe, but I reminded him that he doesn’t like them! He didn’t even care for them in France, so surely this one wouldn’t have been any better?!

IMG_1623.jpg

The waitress had suggested the Profiteroles, being in her opinion the best dessert they offered. He said she must be correct because it was fantastic and had no complaints whatsoever.

IMG_1624.jpg

While mine didn’t have the presentation factor that his did, the Trio of Sorbets turned out to be a hit! The coconut was my absolute favorite – it was creamier than the others and must have been made with coconut milk, and you could still taste the shaved coconut, making for a great consistency.

After Jeremy finished mine, he went for the Vanilla sorbet! Neither of us knew sorbet was made in this flavor, but he still talks about it and how great it was! It was just ok for me…I was content with my coconut! The strawberry was very good as well, but I was full and had to choose which to indulge in the most!

The Out of Pocket total would have been $105.23 before tip. We enjoyed our experience here, but I’m not sure if we would return. I knew I was gambling when making the ADR for Chefs - after all, France is known for cheese and butter laden dishes! After dining here, I feel that with so many other restaurants that offer such a diverse selection, we may want to try more that offer multiple items I can have. The Mad Hatter may differ in his opinion of this, however!

I'm joining in popcorn:: Enjoying your report. Just 5 more days until we can make our ADR and still looking for two more places.

Your vegetable dish was very pretty and seemed to be quite large! At first I was kinda disappointed when you said all they could bring out was a vegetable plate, but once you mentioned ratatouille I changed my mind!

Ratatouille is one of my favorite foods. That looked really tasty. I am a big, big fan of coconut milk in my ice cream, so I think I would have liked the sorbet. I'm not a big dessert person, and I pretty much ate sorbet a few times on my last trip since we were on the DDP.

Nice reviews so far! I'm enjoying them!

Thanks! I think that Mama Melrose and Chefs de France will be going back on our ADR list for our August trip.

As for Chef de France the Mad Hatter here would love to put in his 10/6 cents on the matter! We were both a little hesitant about the notion that a French restaurant would dare not use butter! But we pressed on anyways and as we came in we were reminded of the great small little cafe's all over France! If you get a chance, time your reservation around the time of the fireworks show, if you have a seat like we did (which we requested) you can see the fireworks from the comfort of France!

I want you to know that I am not just a carnivore! I can imagine you reading these reviews and see the lovely Vegan meals and then the Hatter here getting the Flinstone special! But hey its vacation and because we are on the Disney Dinning Plan, I get to order whatever I want! So why not. The food was delicious. Now I especially would recomend the Profiteroles...but for you Vegans out there the sorbets in my opinion were excellent! I ate the entire Vanilla sorbet scoop and thought it was fantastic!

Overall, it was worth the risk and we ended up getting a great meal! So our Sunday was done going 2 for 2 on excellence for our meals!

Yours truly,
A Mad Hatter

Lovin' the reviews so far !! :thumbsup2

That roasted veggie pizza from Mama Mel's looks incredible !

I would have never thought to order that.

(* makes mental note* *pretending I won't forget*)

I'm joining in popcorn:: Enjoying your report. Just 5 more days until we can make our ADR and still looking for two more places.

That's exciting! Have you narrowed it down to any? Hopefully I will be able to help you out!

Enjoying your Vegan reviews....:)

Thanks! Much more to come :goodvibes

Your vegetable dish was very pretty and seemed to be quite large! At first I was kinda disappointed when you said all they could bring out was a vegetable plate, but once you mentioned ratatouille I changed my mind!

Ratatouille is one of my favorite foods. That looked really tasty. I am a big, big fan of coconut milk in my ice cream, so I think I would have liked the sorbet. I'm not a big dessert person, and I pretty much ate sorbet a few times on my last trip since we were on the DDP.

Nice reviews so far! I'm enjoying them!

It was actually pretty big - even though I didn't eat most of the potatoes, I still had plenty leftover, so you know it had to be large! I would love to figure out how to make Ratatouille, but it seems a bit involved!

I think you will be really satisfied with the desserts you can have when you go. Sorbet and fruit was available practically everywhere!

Just caught up and love your reviews !!
Looking forward to hearing more

Thank you!!

I'm really enjoying your reviews and pictures. thanks for sharing!

You're very welcome - thanks for reading!

Thanks! I think that Mama Melrose and Chefs de France will be going back on our ADR list for our August trip.

Yes, we will definitely go back and would recommend them both!

Lovin' the reviews so far !! :thumbsup2

That roasted veggie pizza from Mama Mel's looks incredible !

I would have never thought to order that.

(* makes mental note* *pretending I won't forget*)

It was fantastic, and while not on the menu...perhaps it should be!

Subtitle should be - The Great, The Good, and the UGLY!

For the first full day of our stay, we were up and at the bus stop early. I wanted to arrive ahead of time for our ADR, so that we could get to the park around opening time and beat the majority of the crowds!

But little did I know, if it’s not early Extra Magic Hours for the park you will be traveling to, buses don’t tend to show up! We waited about 45 minutes for a bus…can you believe it?! Thank goodness I had wanted to be early!

IMG_1998-1.jpg

Isn't this the most picture perfect resort that ever was?? After getting to Magic Kingdom and hopping on the monorail to the Grand Floridian, we checked in only a few moments before a massive rush of people came in. Perfect Timing! There is a photo you can take before walking into the restaurant…keep in mind it’s about $30! We didn’t realize this, got our very adorable picture taken, but didn’t buy it because, well, it wasn’t THAT cute!

DSC00947.jpg

Right when we sat down, our waitress came and offered us drinks, noted my “allergy” and went to get a chef. So far so good! Almost immediately he arrived, accompanied by his “shadow,” a new chef that wanted to see how the allergy requests worked…I was his first experience! The chef asked if he could take me around the buffet and show me what all I could have, so we made our way with Jeremy in tow – he wanted to take it all in, as well.

Instead of a simple, “You can eat this, but not that,” the chef wanted to tell me exactly why I wouldn’t be able to eat it. I will spare you the details and just give a quick rundown. Potatoes (which were safe) and meats were first. Fruits were next, which thankfully were safe, and then came the omelette station. Here’s where it gets confusing.

He let me know that they would be able to make me an omelette with an egg alternative, and include roasted veggies in it – sounds good, right? Well, I let him know I might try it out, and we continued on.

Up next were a wide variety of bagels. I could have the plain or onion. Two more sections to go – pastries (which I couldn’t eat but looked beautiful) and pancakes/waffles. While I couldn’t have these, he promised to make me gluten free/vegan Mickey waffles! I was excited – these would actually be my first Mickey waffles ever!

I was free to roam after this, and went to the omelette station to make my request. The cook didn’t seem to understand though, and pulled out the Egg Beaters. At this moment, I noticed the two chefs still looking over at me. I caught their eye, they walked over to me, and pretty much questioned my sanity regarding the eggs. They had to explain to me and the confused omelette cook that I couldn’t have anything from the omelette station and they would be making mine themselves. Oops…

IMG_1642-1.jpg

Jeremy had been gathering his food the entire time, and when I got back to my seat he was discussing my tardiness with the Mad Hatter! I put down my very small and pathetic looking plate of food, and explained to the Hatter that while, YES I love cakes and pastries, I would have to get something special from the kitchen, which would take a few moments longer.

IMG_1647-1.jpg

Jeremy got the Famed Strawberry soup. He thought it was the best Strawberry soup he ever tasted! Keep in mind, this was his first experience. Even so, he would have gotten seconds had it not been for his other items. There was also a mound of Mickey waffles and a nice looking omelette next to the soup, but he was talking and eating with the Hatter, and I failed to get a picture of this.

IMG_1646-2.jpg

This is my sad plate…it includes the potatoes, which were great and a bit spicy, but I was more in the mood for waffles. As you can tell, I also had some fruit, and there was a dallop of Orange Marmalade that I thought might be nice with the waffles.

IMG_1649-2.jpg

And out they came! They were so cute! Throughout the trip, there would be many more of these waffles, and I developed a system when eating them…I usually bit or pulled off one ear at a time! Does anyone else do this? ANYWAY, they were delicious. I was skeptical with the mention of both vegan and gluten free, but really they were divine. Crisp on the outside - warm, dense, and almost doughy in the middle.

At this point I was very full, and Jeremy was more than done with his food. As we sat waiting on the omelette, which honestly I wasn’t that interested in, we looked around at all the characters and wanted to get on to the Magic Kingdom to see even more! I couldn’t just leave when they were making such an effort for me though, so we waited. And waited.

Now, I’m going to warn you. BEWARE of the picture you are about to see! Really, it doesn’t even do this concoction justice. It was horrible, and the chef himself thought so as he brought out…..

IMG_1663-2.jpg

THIS! It was just as slimy, gooey, and gelatinous as it appears. He apologized and said he had followed the directions exactly, but it kept turning out this way. He showed me the box; it was Ener-G egg replacers. But…I just couldn’t even touch them, much less take a bite! After sticking my fork in, noting that it formed a goo when I pulled it out, we got the check and headed to the park!

Overall, this was a great experience. I have always loved 1900 Park Fare because of the Alice in Wonderland characters. Even though Alice herself never made it to our table, I was happy to talk to the OTHER hatter in my life!

Out of pocket, the total was $44.71 before tip. We’ll be back for the experience, but we had much better breakfasts later on in the week.

I've never seen anyone try to use Ener-G to replace eggs when they ARE the dish! Just in baking, mostly. And clearly now I know why, gag! Most of the time people just use tofu to approximate the texture of egg (though I don't eat soy, so that complicates things). :)

He apologized and said he had followed the directions exactly, but it kept turning out this way. He showed me the box; it was Ener-G egg replacers.

Bwahahahaha! I don't know what directions he was following, because when I've used the Ener-G egg replacer, my box said in giant letters that it was only suitable in baked goods, because it's just some starch (for the thickening characteristic of egg) and leavening (for the rising characteristic of egg). Flaxseed meal + water makes a good egg replacement for baking, too, but it's not like you could fry it into an omelet.

Great review. I'm in!!

And btw I have a Mickey waffle maker at home and both while in Disney and at home I always eat Mickey's ears first!!! Don't know why but always have!!!

OMG! That "omelet" is just about the scariest thing I've ever seen on a plate! :scared1: Blech, I would have taken one look and made a beeline for the door, no way I could have tried it either. :sick:

Really enjoying your reviews, it's great to get both perspectives. Looking forward to more!

He probably was following the 'directions' that show how to make 1 or 2 eggs worth but didn't realize it was just for baking, etc. They use the EnerG replacer when making the Vegan Mickey Waffles, so why night, right? Ha! He would have had much better luck with Tofu!

Bottom line is, I can't believe he plated that!

Oh-No! Thats one of my ADR's too. Is the Strawberry Soup Not Vegan???? I was planning on making a meal of just that and Mickey Waffles.

Ewwwwwww....that is just scary!!!! He should be ashamed of himself for even bringing it out. Thanks for the reviews, by the way. It's great to see how accommodating they can be. I'm glad I don't have any allergies, but many members of my family (mother, grandpa, aunt, uncles) are diabetic so it's good to know that if any of them decide to join me, they won't have any problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter