Double shows strike again - Wonder in Alaska

I just don't get why they won't do matinees for Frozen. Especially on these 7 night cruises with sea day options.

I sort of get it for the Dream 3-4 night cruises, with the crowding issues B&B has been having. But it makes zero sense to repeat shows on a 7 night with sea day / matinee opportunities.

Or I'd even go so far as to understand repeating Frozen, if they must, since it's still relatively new. But why Dreams also?

Agreed afternoon performances would be a great idea. Only think I can think of is that three performances a day for the performers is asking a lot.

On our March 4 cruise they did a matinee of Frozen along with the 2 performances of it at night. I was glad they had all of the shows. We saw Frozen twice(the theater was full both times). I love the shows on the Wonder, the shows on the Fantasy I don't care for, so we will probably skip them on our next cruise.

I sent an email to DCL yesterday as I don't like this trend of double shows. I want something different to see every night in the Walt Disney Theater--we're fine with entertainers and a movie for the non-Disney show nights. I did mention that we're cruising on the Magic this summer and will be disappointed if we have 'duplicate' shows. For the premium we all pay for cruising Disney, we should have the option of seeing something different every night in the theater.

Here is the response I got from DCL (either she doesn't know about the current Wonder schedule or maybe it's just for this cruise...):
  • Currently, the option to see the same Broadway-caliber show on two different nights is only being offered on the Disney Dream. This is being offered Friday, April 20 through the month of September 2018.
  • Although subject to change, this option is not being offered onboard the Disney Magic.
  • As the schedules are subject to change without notice, the live show schedules are not published in advance. Please check your Personal Navigator once onboard for the most up-to-date information for your cruise.

I sent an email to DCL yesterday as I don't like this trend of double shows. I want something different to see every night in the Walt Disney Theater--we're fine with entertainers and a movie for the non-Disney show nights. I did mention that we're cruising on the Magic this summer and will be disappointed if we have 'duplicate' shows. For the premium we all pay for cruising Disney, we should have the option of seeing something different every night in the theater.

Here is the response I got from DCL (either she doesn't know about the current Wonder schedule or maybe it's just for this cruise...):
  • Currently, the option to see the same Broadway-caliber show on two different nights is only being offered on the Disney Dream. This is being offered Friday, April 20 through the month of September 2018.
  • Although subject to change, this option is not being offered onboard the Disney Magic.
  • As the schedules are subject to change without notice, the live show schedules are not published in advance. Please check your Personal Navigator once onboard for the most up-to-date information for your cruise.
Canned reply as always. Of course not addressing the actual concern.

We were on the April 20 Dream when this started and (long-ish story) we just booked a "do-over" cruise in August. So we have the "option" to watch Beauty and Beast 4 times. Yayyy (sarcasm). I won't mind seeing it again ONCE, but I thought it was annoying that they are effectively requiring me to opt out of shows for one night -- no way would I want to see it two nights in a row.

Also just pointing out, this was very poorly rolled out with no warning. No email before the April 20 cruise to let guests know. When I booked it (just a month prior) the website still listed the Golden Mickeys and I actually brought "red carpet" attire as the website recommended to wear. I know the terms are they can change entertainment any time in their discretion, but I naively assumed that was based on performers being sick or something, not just because they want to cut costs AFTER I paid for me cruise.

Rant over now... I still can't wait to go back, so I guess they are getting away with it ;)

Someone posted the Navigators on FB for the first few days of the Wonder Alaska sailing. The second night of Frozen is in between dinner seatings (7:15). The variety act is both earlier and later than Frozen, but show is listed at only 1/2 hour each time.

Glad to hear they aren't "offering" this "perk" on the Magic right now. Thanks for checking and sharing, @Geomom. I agree that for what they are charging for those N. European cruises we should have something new every night (not that the other cruises shouldn't either). As for Alaska, I'm thankful that they didn't do this when we went on the Wonder.

Someone posted the Navigators on FB for the first few days of the Wonder Alaska sailing. The second night of Frozen is in between dinner seatings (7:15). The variety act is both earlier and later than Frozen, but show is listed at only 1/2 hour each time.

I can't see those, but are you sure that's not the Frozen deck party instead of the theater show? That timing matches with the usual schedule of the deck party.

Looks like the “option” is now offered on the Magic. Scott from DCL blog boarded the Magic today and posted the Navigator on Twitter. All 3 shows will be shown on two nights each.

Hard to guess exactly why they would be making these changes, but my personal guess is they are trying to make adjustments so the more popular shows would have a second option as the theater does get very crowded for shows like Frozen or Beast. I have never liked the Golden Mickeys, so I don't really care what they do with that show. The opening night sail away show is sort of a tradition on all cruise lines and is great for first time guests. I'm not sure I see this as a cost saving measure since it seems they have the same variety acts on board, but shifting to other venues.

Disney likes to experiment. Expect to see more changes as they keep trying different things to keep improving the guest experience.

Hard to guess exactly why they would be making these changes, but my personal guess is they are trying to make adjustments so the more popular shows would have a second option as the theater does get very crowded for shows like Frozen or Beast. I have never liked the Golden Mickeys, so I don't really care what they do with that show. The opening night sail away show is sort of a tradition on all cruise lines and is great for first time guests. I'm not sure I see this as a cost saving measure since it seems they have the same variety acts on board, but shifting to other venues.

Disney likes to experiment. Expect to see more changes as they keep trying different things to keep improving the guest experience.

I can understand it in brand new shows, but say the Magic where all shows are old, i.e. tangled now two years old, its cost saving, nothing else, just cost saving.

I just got on the Magic today and the Navigator does show that Twice Charmed, Tangled, and Dreams are each going to be shown twice and the other night is a magician.

I just got on the Magic today and the Navigator does show that Twice Charmed, Tangled, and Dreams are each going to be shown twice and the other night is a magician.
Hope everyone leaves comments on this.

I do like seeing the same shows, but not in the same week. I do like that the add an matinee. I’ll figure younger kids will have a better attention span and enjoy the show more. My attention span...I’m a “what’s next” kinda gal. I don’t want to miss anything. I feel the same about dinner. Lobster tails are great. But I don’t want them 2 nights in a row.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter