Dont you hate it when...

My parents used to give me grief. Then they booked another cruise - I put it back on them (You are doing another cruise???? Didn't you just do that last year???) with all the exageration I could muster. Now, I am only asked when the next trip is (and Mom rewarded herself for quitting smoking with a 10-day eastern Caribbean booking)

Another friend thought I was crazy. We would talk about it because she figured she would have to take her girls soon - they felt it wasn't fair that I was going so many times and they had never gone. (our youngest girls are BF's) They are coming with us for this trip - she figured it would be easier for me to plan than for her to sort it all out for themselves...

We leave in 10 days and she is very excited now. She took care of some of her own ADR's, and even made changes when she looked into menus on line on her own. I keep telling her she is going to come home with the Disney gene!

I think people think Disney is so expensive because you pay for so much up front, especially if you get the DDP. I think people think of their vacation price as being the transportation to get there and the hotel and they forget to add in all the extras once they get there, sightseeing, tours, activities, ect...But is Disney really all that much expensive than any other all inclusive place, like Sandals? I honestly don't know, I've never been to a place like Sandals.

Ewww. Sandals. Never been, but the idea just makes me shudder.

I get this sometimes too, and we can only really afford to go every few years! I have had co-workers say things to me like "what ADULT would actually WANT silly Mickey Mouse (She spit those words out) on a t-shirt? Ridiculous."

I just smiled at her and told her that a lot of people would and that different people like different things. ;)

I used to get that all the time from my coworkers until about the third year of working there and having taken 2-3 trips each of those years. We used to hear it a lot from my ILs because they just didn't "get" it but after more than a few years of bugging them to go they did and finally saw that it was a bit more magical than they remembered from 25+ years ago. We do still hear "you should take your kids to other places... there are other places to vacation other than WDW". :rotfl2: Silly people!! While they see that WDW is a great vacation destination they still don't fully "get" it. :)

I can relate but unfortunately don't have much advise.

My parents took me to WDW in 1971. I have been every year since. I hear "your going again??" all of the time. Even from my DH. He is not an "Anthony" and will only go with me once every 4- 5 years.

When I get the comment I just smile and say "I going because the voices in my head told me to go to WDW. I always listen to the voices." That pretty much shuts people up.

I just think they are all jealous :thumbsup2 They can't have found their ' special place' - somewhere you can time and time again without getting bored ;)

As some of you have said once they (the non-beleivers) get there I'm sure they'll see it as you do or at least understand how you could be so happy to visit year after year :goodvibes

No-one should make you fell bad for doing something you love (as long as it doesn't impact on others)

As a kid our family vacations were spent in a caravan (static trailer) in the UK so I've had my share of budget trips :rotfl2: I intend for our kids (when we have them) to see a bit of everything.

I've gotten to where I just don't tell anyone we're going back to WDW. I don't even tell my mom until a month or two before...and that's only because my parents usually watch our dog while we're gone. For the people that do question our love of WDW, I just say "we own a timeshare there" and they just nod their head like "okay -- they're going again because they have to". ;)

I can't take people's reactions, and I feel kind of ashamed, as a childless 42 year old man, spending all my vacations at Disney. This summer I've decided to tell people I'm going to Flagler Beach.

My co-worker told me "Why don't you go someplace for adults? Someplace cheap? Like Vegas!" (BTW, priced a trip. More than the cost of the same time at the world) Vegas? I asked..."Well, yeah, they have roller coasters, too." Oh, right...:rotfl2:

I can't take people's reactions, and I feel kind of ashamed, as a childless 42 year old man, spending all my vacations at Disney. This summer I've decided to tell people I'm going to Flagler Beach.

Steve,

I am a 44 year old woman, no children, a DH who wont go to Disney with me, and I go to WDW every year ! Should we start a club?

My co-worker told me "Why don't you go someplace for adults? Someplace cheap? Like Vegas!" (BTW, priced a trip. More than the cost of the same time at the world) Vegas? I asked..."Well, yeah, they have roller coasters, too." Oh, right...:rotfl2:

No kidding, I spend more in vegas than I do in the world anyday. We have been to many places and it really is the best family vacation going. My response is, I can do anything in disney....want to lay on the beach all day...check, want to horseback...check...goes on and on...

Steve,

I am a 44 year old woman, no children, a DH who wont go to Disney with me, and I go to WDW every year ! Should we start a club?
Yes!!! I have been considering starting a meetup group through meetup.com. Something like "DISers and other Disney Lovers." Fans could meet monthly at a local diner, or attend Disney-related events together.

Man, we hear this all the time from clowns. I just tell them these trips really aren't that expensive if you know how to shop around. And they really aren't! If you plan right you can do it uber-cheap. I just prefer to spend more :>

Besides, my opinion, a vacation is some place far enough away you can't drive home. Anything less than 8 hours away is a trip and I won't be able to relax. I have to much to do at home.

Besides the Jersey shore/Outer banks thing,all the clowns at work do, is not my thing. Beaches and beach houses are lame. Seems like a waste to spend $2500 a week for a beach house, have to cook, clean and deal with extended family!

Give me maid service and plenty of meals I don't have to prepare or clean up after. I do that enough at home. I'll do some laundry... but if I could, I'd just buy all new clothes when the old ones got dirty.

I'd love to go to Europe or Cali. Now that we have the money, we could. But with a 4 y.o. and a 6 month old, anything more than 2 hours, by air, is out of the question. And even if I went to those places, i'd still want to head back to Orlando for some extra vacation time.

I had a friend who said that her three young kids would never enjoy Disney because they simply don't know who Mickey Mouse is and that they prefer the "newer, more moderrn characters" and then she said, "We just wouldn't 'get it' at all and my family would be totally bored" was her statement.:confused3

OK, I'm gonna say it. There is something incredibly wrong if these children don't know who Mickey is.

How do you allow your children to not know who Mickey Mouse is? He is basically the international symbol of America at its best. People who don't speak English know Mickey. He is basically the king of the "modern" characters and they wouldn't be there without him!

My goddaughter learned who Mickey and Minnie were simply from the fact that they were on her diapers and while my aunt would change her, she would hand her one to hold (she's always been into holding things, don't ask) and that's how she discovered Minnie and Mickey. He is everywhere. How is it possible they don't know him?

OK, I'm gonna say it. There is something incredibly wrong if these children don't know who Mickey is.

How do you allow your children to not know who Mickey Mouse is? He is basically the international symbol of America at its best. People who don't speak English know Mickey. He is basically the king of the "modern" characters and they wouldn't be there without him!

My goddaughter learned who Mickey and Minnie were simply from the fact that they were on her diapers and while my aunt would change her, she would hand her one to hold (she's always been into holding things, don't ask) and that's how she discovered Minnie and Mickey. He is everywhere. How is it possible they don't know him?

I KNOW, I KNOW!!! I totally agree! What can I say? I am certain they must know of Mickey, but he never caught on with them I guess? Not to mention that there are, what---1,000 other Disney characters to enjoy if Mickey ain't connecting w/ ya? She said her kids would be more into Universal characters but not Disney characters...at all. Thanks for posting---they are really missing out, huh! I can't imagine raising kids without Disney!!!!!!

We were debating the extent of Disneyfication in American Studies today (i was on the pro-Disney side of the argument i must say) but i think it really is amazing how ingrained he is in ALL cultures, not just American.

Can't wait to start my essay on it!

We were debating the extent of Disneyfication in American Studies today (i was on the pro-Disney side of the argument i must say) but i think it really is amazing how ingrained he is in ALL cultures, not just American.

Can't wait to start my essay on it!

What an interesting topic! Be sure to post it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter