Don't understand split stays

osugal

Mouseketeer
Not knocking anyone, at all, for doing a split stay. But, I don't understand it. I would think that you'd want to pick your favorite resort and stay put. Not pack up and change in the middle of the vacation. Just out of curiosity - what's the appeal?

How do you know what your favorite resort is until you try all the resorts? Split stays allow you the ability of trying all the resorts more quickly. Some people have more than one favorite resort for completely different reasons. You might feel you want a more laid back resort towards the end of your trip. A particular pool, spa, or any other accommodation/amenity might fit better at different times of a trip. Some might not be able to afford a higher priced resort for a full stay, but still want to experience it for a few days.

These are just a few reasons I can think of that would create a need or want for a split stay.

I think it's just a matter of preference. I rented points last trip and couldn't get all 12 nights at the same place. So we did a split stay. Because it was such a long trip it really wasn't a big deal to move. OKW gave us the quiet laid back vibe we wanted, and BWV was a change of pace for the end of our trip.
We've also done split stays for a few days at the resort and pool time, and then moved to another resort for our package.

And lastly, we've done a night at a Value at the start or ending of our vacation depending when we're getting in or leaving. If I am getting in at 10 pm I don't need or want to spend another 300 bucks for that night at the Poly and get a value for the one night to use Magical Express. Saves us 200 dollars since we'll just be sleeping. There are many reasons.
I wouldn't want to move twice or more in a week. But it really isn't a big deal for us on a long trip:)

ETA.. I forgot one major reason and that is cost and discounts! Sometimes you want a 9 day trip at the Poly but it's not in the budget. So you book a cheaper room for half the trip and the Poly for half. Then you get the length of vacation you want and still get to go to your favourite :)

Not knocking anyone, at all, for doing a split stay. But, I don't understand it. I would think that you'd want to pick your favorite resort and stay put. Not pack up and change in the middle of the vacation. Just out of curiosity - what's the appeal?

We are doing our first split stay in July. The reason we are doing it is because we couldn't decide between the Poly and BC. Since we are staying 10 nights, we figured it would be cool to do 5 nights at each. That's enough time to get a good feel for the resort IMHO. We want to try every resort, so in just one trip, we get to knock two more off of our list.

Having done the parks and attractions many many times, enjoying the resorts is the most important part of the trip for us. A strategic packing job takes care of a lot of the hassle. For example, I only unpack the clothes that I need for a particular leg of the trip and put those dirty clothes in a duffle bag for quick resort transfer packing.
Another reason is to minimize transportation hassles ... when we stay at an Epcot area resort, we choose to go to those parks primarily and can walk to Epcot and DHS so there are no bus issues. Same with MK area ... if you stay close to the park you are planning on visiting, it minimizes travel times.

Here are some of the reasons I do split stays:

I love AKL, but don't really like the location of the resort, so staying there for part of a trip allows me to experience the resort without being trapped there the whole time.

I want to try new resorts, but also want to enjoy my old standbys. With a split stay, I get to do both.

I like focusing my park visits and dining around my resort location. So, with a split stay at a MK resort and a Epcot resort (for example), I can focus my activities on the different locations at different times.

I like different things about different resorts, so want to experience as many of those different things as possible on each trip.

Wow. I have done several split stays and one of my bucket list items is to do a week with 7 resort changes. Why? After staying at almost every deluxe and every moderate resort - each one has its own special appeal and features. At this point, our trips to Disney are not about having a hotel to crash in and going commando in the parks - we genuinely enjoy the resorts themselves. Also - some resorts are just BETTER for different types of park days. You can't beat staying at AKL when you are going to AK. BWI and BC/YC make Epcot a breeze. The monorail resorts are great for MK days. Hitting Blizzard Beach and WL/SL golf - you'll like being at Coronado. DTD or DQ? SSR, OKW or POR are a dream.

Our first split stay is next month. We are new DVC members who plan to visit only about every 18 months to two years. We originally booked at BLT for the proximity to the Magic Kingdom, but we really felt this nagging feeling to visit our home resort (Animal Kingdom Villas) while we are there. We originally just planned to go for dinner, but then decided to split our stay until five nights at BLT followed by three nights at Kidani Village. We will have our own car, and I plan to pack light. For us, it will be like two different vacations...one "in the middle of the action" at BLT, followed by a few quieter days at Kidani.

It's all a matter of preference, I suppose. We might hate it and never do it again, but I doubt that. We don't have the ability to visit as often as we would like, so I am excited at the opportunity to test out new experiences for future visits. Also, in the future, we might split a stay and only have the dining plan on one reservation.

More or less echoing what others have said, one good reason is cost. PArticularly if you prefer deluxe but don't have a discount. My next stay is half POFQ and YC. I figure the first part will be more park intensive and the second half more laid back so I can enjoy the balacony and atmosphere at the YC.

Also for location. I've split a stay between monorail resorts and Epcot. The move is less disruptive than you would think. Just pack your bags in the a.m. and leave them in your room.

In my case it was that there were two different vacation agendas.

I had a family (me and parents) trip planned for Jan. I also planned to come back in Oct for a solo possibly with friends trip.

In winter we got snowed out, so the next comparable budget time was Sept and I moved the family trip to then. Well of course it made no sense for me to go in Sept then turn around and go back in Oct.

So since I had one type of vacation planned for my parents and another for me. I combined the two trips.

With them I stayed at a Deluxe as they prefer that slow paced, more of a leisurly vacation, pool time, late sit down breakfast, ambience and luxery settings and since we would be doing mainly Epcot we chose BC.

I prefered to save money on the resort once they went home and I was solo so I moved to a mod since I would be more of a fast paced park comando type and POFQ was just the bill price wise and location wise (other parks and DTD).

Lot's of families plan thier comando days for AK/DTD/Orlando attractions while at values/mods and then for resort days they move up to a deluxe, or if they plan heavy MK days (monorail resorts) or heavy Epcot days (beach club/boardwalk area).

This is expecially used when they have 5+day vacations because it's kinda nice to break up the time and concentrate on different things at different times.

We've done split stays twice. The first time, we realized at the last minute that we could go down a day earlier (thank you SWA for no change fees!) but only rack rate was left at the Poly, which is where we were booked for 8 nights. We found a room-only discount for SSR so we stayed there then cabbed it over to the Poly the next morning.

The second time, we were getting in mid-afternoon and wanted to save a little money so we stayed at POFQ and then headed over to the GF bright and early to check in for the rest of the trip.

Next time we go for a long stretch (like 8 or 9 nights) I definitely think we'll split stay. I think an Epcot-area/MK-area split would be great as it would be like the best of both worlds in terms of park proximity.

How do you know what your favorite resort is until you try all the resorts? Split stays allow you the ability of trying all the resorts more quickly.

Exactly. :)

We also have the addition of extended family being with us for part of the time, so we will at least be changing room types once they go...not that much different from changing resorts.

At first, I didn't understand the draw of the split stay either, but then . . .

1) Our boys are antsy and like to be on-the-move - same for my husband. Switching resorts is a way to do that.

2) We love old favorites, but want to try new resorts. As previous posters mentioned, the split stay allows us to do that.

3) We've had APs in recent years and will get them again. Because we're visiting WDW more frequently, we're spending more time at our resort than we did before. As a previous poster also mentioned, the resort is a big part of the vacation for us now, so it's fun to have a variety of resort experiences in a single trip.

4) We've become increasingly appreciative of easy transportation in WDW. Epcot resorts allow us to walk to dinner almost every night. MK resorts offer quick access to MK in the morning. A split stay allows us to take advantage of the location benefits of each.

5) There are five people in our family with very strong opinions about lots of things - including Disney. We really like to take everyone's preferences into account when planning vacations and selecting resorts, and the split stay allows us to do that.

6) With the frequent visits, we need to show my husband that there really is something new to see/do at WDW. Split stays help to mix it up and introduce him to something new on every trip. (And new ADRs help, too!)

We're frequently on the move during our vacations (just drove from San Franciso to Newport and stayed in 4 different places within a week - and drove hundreds of miles in between!) So handing our luggage over to Bell Services, going about our day and ending our day in a different place with our luggage delivered isn't a problem.

And starbox, our plan for February 2013 is six resorts in six nights! (See my signature, below!)

:thumbsup2 .... we're doing 5 in 10 nights 3 weeks from now :cool1:

Love it! Will you do a trip report? We've done split stays in the past and will split again in a couple weeks, but not this many WDW resorts. I'd LOVE to hear your tips!

I don't do split stays for a week, and our Jan trips are usually 7 nights. But in Aug, we're there between 10 - 13 nights so we will do a split stay for Aug. vacays. Between 2 resorts. It's almost like having 2 vacays.

Personally I'm not the type to get up early, run to the parks and spend all day there. The resort we pick is huge for us. I love to spend my afternoons there, and having a drink in the lobby bar is a great way to start the night. For us, because there is no rush, packing up one morning and switching resorts is no big deal. It's like having two vacations in one! :thumbsup2

I never understood split stays either until I did a bit of research.

One major plus I see for a split stay is the financial side - I could never justify the cost of a 10 day vacation at the Contemporary, I would much rather stay at a mod and have that extra money for spending, oh but it would be so nice to stay at the Contemporary ..... then I realised thats where split stays come in - 7 nights at POR and 3 nights at Contemporary is much more doable financially :)