Doing a split stay? Worth it to do deluxe dining for half?

JMLBrats

DIS Veteran
So we'll be doing 4 nights in one resort and 4 nights in another (hopefully BWV & AKV)-don't have it booked yet. When we are at AKV, we are thinking of doing Hoop Dee Doo (we will have a car) and Jiko one night and I don't know where else but I'm wondering if it's worth it to pay for the deluxe dining for those 4 nights? Has anyone else ever done a split stay and done the regular dining plan for half and the deluxe plan for the other half and was it worth the extra money?
It's me, DH and our 3 kids-this is the last time the oldest can be on the kids meal.
What do you think? It ends up being an extra $400+ more than it would be for the regular plan.
Thanks for any input!:goodvibes

I think it depends on whether or not you will have OOP expenses for things additional from the regular DDP and how that compares to $400.00.

When we went last summer, we were scheduled to do the QSDP for the whole time but my kids wanted to do at least one TS meal at Le Celliar. At first, I figured I would just pay OOP.

But then, I found out to upgrade for 2 nights (we did a split stay), would only be $80.00 more (4 of us) and I would end up with 2 TS meals, instead of just 1. My OOP for Le Celliar was going to exceed that $80.00 anyway so I did that.

So, I think it depends on what you would gain and how it would change. If you really want to do those two places, and will end up having OOP expenses for food while on your trip, then upgrading may be the way to go.

And, remember, credits are good until midnight on check out day so there is some flexibility that you would have to use credits from the 1st stay for that day, which allows you to have credits left on the day you leave. We ended up being able to do this and had enough of our CS meals the last day for full breakfasts.

Good luck!

I think it depends on whether or not you will have OOP expenses for things additional from the regular DDP and how that compares to $400.00.

When we went last summer, we were scheduled to do the QSDP for the whole time but my kids wanted to do at least one TS meal at Le Celliar. At first, I figured I would just pay OOP.

But then, I found out to upgrade for 2 nights (we did a split stay), would only be $80.00 more (4 of us) and I would end up with 2 TS meals, instead of just 1. My OOP for Le Celliar was going to exceed that $80.00 anyway so I did that.

So, I think it depends on what you would gain and how it would change. If you really want to do those two places, and will end up having OOP expenses for food while on your trip, then upgrading may be the way to go.

And, remember, credits are good until midnight on check out day so there is some flexibility that you would have to use credits from the 1st stay for that day, which allows you to have credits left on the day you leave. We ended up being able to do this and had enough of our CS meals the last day for full breakfasts.

Good luck!

Thanks,
I didn't mean quick service. We wouldn't do that because we always like to do one sit down meal a day. We were going to do the regular plan (i don't know the proper name for it)for the first 4 nights and then upgrade to the deluxe plan (the one that gives you 3 sit down meals a day) for the other 4 nights. I was thinking that it's nice that you can use it the day of check out. Since we drive, we always have time to do breakfast if we choose to.

Using the DDP to dine at a 2 credit restaurant isn't a good value. Using the DDP for the first 4 nights makes sense and paying cash for Hoop and Jiko makes sense.

Have a wonderful trip. :goodvibes

:) Bill

When we have traveled with my parents or inlaws we have often had several 2 point dinners, something for the grandparents to look forward to at the end of the day! Anyhow, the first time we went the regular dining plan didn't work out too well as we ended up with counter service points left over and not enough table service points. Since then the times we have done the deluxe dining it worked out pretty well as we would usually have breakfast, skip lunch and have snacks in the afternoon and then have a signature 2 point dinner. So if you can schedule your 2 point meals to occur during the same half of your trip, I would think it would work well to do the deluxe dining for that portion.

It sounds like your kids are on the younger side, would they be up for three sit down meals or a day or even two? Mine at 9 & 5 would not be at all. TS meals do take up lots of time and that would cut into their park/swim/play time with so many meals.

It sounds like your kids are on the younger side, would they be up for three sit down meals or a day or even two? Mine at 9 & 5 would not be at all. TS meals do take up lots of time and that would cut into their park/swim/play time with so many meals.

My youngest will be 5.5 when we go. They are used to always eating at least one sit down meal a day while at Disney. They are very active kids so I think they need the down time when they eat just like we do. Sometimes one of them will complain that they don't want to go out to eat but once we get there, he or she is happy that we did. and it is one of the true enjoyments of Disney to us-to go to nice restaurants with the kids-
We would probably tend to eat breakfast OR lunch w/one TS credit and then do a signature meal for dinner w/the other two. I wouldn't make them do 3 sit downs in one day!

Doing that split stay and having the dining plan for part of the stay might not be possible in the near future with the upcoming changes. There has been talk that member stays would be consolidated into one reservation and that would make it impossible to do the dining plan for part of the stay. But we'll all have to stay tuned to see what DVC actually says.

Doing that split stay and having the dining plan for part of the stay might not be possible in the near future with the upcoming changes. There has been talk that member stays would be consolidated into one reservation and that would make it impossible to do the dining plan for part of the stay. But we'll all have to stay tuned to see what DVC actually says.

And now you know why Disney is changing the computer system.

They only seem to make software upgrades when it benefits the Mouse. :sad2:

:) Bill

Okay, well that just makes me want to do it more-just for that reason:rotfl: Hopefully I still have time to do it, we're going this summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter