Does Carnation Cafe have any gluten free breakfast options besides the Mickey waffle?

Sith

Through victory, my chains are broken...
We normally have breakfast at Carnation Cafe once or twice per trip. In 2 weeks we will going to Disneyland for the first time since Jan 2020, and I see that the menu has changed(for the worse in my opinion). My wife is not celiac, but she has a very bad gluten allergy that makes her break out in hives. The only gluten free option I've seen mentioned in reviews is the waffle, but she is not interested in that. Is there anything else? The old menu had so many more choices...

Wow, that's unfortunate. Their gluten free offerings are about as lame as their new menu. Why did they do this? This used to be such a great place. This used to be a true cafe where food was cooked to order. You could get a simple bowl of oatmeal, but now you can only get a mushy bowl of overnight oats. You could get eggs however you wanted them, but now you can only get something Mickey shaped that's probably eggs...

As far as a gluten free skillet...yes, that used to be an option. But, I haven't heard that the new skillet can be made gluten free.

And, what about Chef Oscar? The man worked at Disneyland since it had only been open for about a year and a half. He specifically worked at the Carnation Cafe since 1967 until he retired a few years ago. We were lucky enough to meet Oscar before he retired. He was a really nice guy, and it was cool to talk to somebody who had been at Disneyland since nearly the beginning. But, now his special isn't even on the menu...

I'll most likely be cancelling our reservations.

We had breakfast booked for four days in a row on our last trip right when they reopened. Love the place, obviously. At dinner the night before we mentioned it to our waitress, and she gently warned us that there was a new head chef, she was hearing no-so-great reviews. After our first breakfast we cancelled the rest of the week. The pancakes and waffles were dry to the point of breaking apart like sand. Almost inedible. I hope they bring it back to the old standards soon.

Wait. Hold on. You got reservations??? How did you pull that off?

Really sad to know their GF offerings have turned to pathetic. We do Disneyland because they have always been good in this department (for my wife with Celiac). If they start faltering here, DL will start slipping from the top of our vacation spots.

Really sad to know their GF offerings have turned to pathetic. We do Disneyland because they have always been good in this department (for my wife with Celiac). If they start faltering here, DL will start slipping from the top of our vacation spots.
used one of the websites that offer text messages when reservations open up :)

Well, I was online just before 6am at the 60 day mark for each day of our trip. It's crazy how Disneyland reservations are suddenly as hard to get as WDW reservations. It didn't used to be like this, except maybe Oga's.

And, yeah, it sucks how menus are changing. Specifically gluten free offerings. My wife is not celiac, but her gluten allergy is pretty severe. Fully body hives that medication can barely help. Disney parks are pretty much the only restaurants we can eat at together, since they are so good about cross contamination etc. It's one of the main reasons she likes going. She doesn't trust other places.

Last edited:
Wow, that's unfortunate. Their gluten free offerings are about as lame as their new menu. Why did they do this? This used to be such a great place. This used to be a true cafe where food was cooked to order. You could get a simple bowl of oatmeal, but now you can only get a mushy bowl of overnight oats. You could get eggs however you wanted them, but now you can only get something Mickey shaped that's probably eggs...

As far as a gluten free skillet...yes, that used to be an option. But, I haven't heard that the new skillet can be made gluten free.

And, what about Chef Oscar? The man worked at Disneyland since it had only been open for about a year and a half. He specifically worked at the Carnation Cafe since 1967 until he retired a few years ago. We were lucky enough to meet Oscar before he retired. He was a really nice guy, and it was cool to talk to somebody who had been at Disneyland since nearly the beginning. But, now his special isn't even on the menu...

I'll most likely be cancelling our reservations.n
Continued watering down of he experience. I stopped going to DL because of that. IHOP is better!

IHOP is good, but my wife won't trust them with her gluten allergy.
IHOP used to have a blurb on their menu that they put pancake batter in their scrambled eggs to make them creamier so I definitely agree and wouldn’t trust anything at IHOP.

And, yeah, it sucks how menus are changing. Specifically gluten free offerings. My wife is not celiac, but her gluten allergy is pretty severe. Fully body hives that medication can barely help. Disney parks are pretty much the only restaurants we can eat at together, since they are so good about cross contamination etc. It's one of the main reasons she likes going. She doesn't trust other places.
Yip. We keep doing Disney because it's a vacation where eating out isn't Russian Roulette. If they stop the GF offerings, that'll make them just another expensive but unusable tourist destination.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter