• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does Anyone Have A Husband Like Mine?

anditoo72

DIS Veteran
We have been saving change since we met nine years ago. He started JUST before he met me. Anyway, he won't spend it. I told him the mint was going to invade our house and take thier money back and that we were screwing up the amount of change they would have to make every year, because who would think of saving change for NINE YEARS. At first we wanted to get enough to cover a mortgage payment that way if something happend we would always have it, well we passed that a few years ago. My husband is a pack rat anyway but I think we are going a little over the top with this one!

I had a friend who had a break-in and they took all her change that she had been saving for 3 years. Now she saves her change for a month and then deposits it into a savings account.

Your not going to believe this, but my husband has a safe that he keeps it in. A safe that can burn for four hours, tells you how big it is. The only way someone is going to take it is if they bring a fork truck with them:rolleyes:

campingcorgi, I just noticed that you are going to FW in nine days, luck you! Our first trip to FW will be in August, I can't wait! I will be looking foward to your trip report when you get back!!!

I'd be very tempted to start "stealing" a little of this all along. Grab a handful every day or so and spend it. Use it for lunch money. Take some of it to the bank.

At least maybe the "stash" won't grow any larger. You might even be able to reduce it a bit.

Just make sure you don't grab any old, valuable coins. My husband goes through our change jar to pick out anything he thinks is a keeper before we spend it.

Sheila

Remember the guy who paid for a car with quarters? There are people like that out there, just not at my house. Sorry:rolleyes:

I can totally relate to the OP with this one!! My husband too had a huge collection of change (Silver) before we got married (12 yrs ago) and kept adding and adding to it. Because he commutes he would come home with a handful of change every night (from coffee tolls etc.) My children (7 yr olds) have learned to take their lunch money, ice cream money etc from this jar and have also started their own in the meantime!! (I think they just steal from Dad to add to theirs...LOL) Anyway about 2 months ago we had a finanical "check-up" from a friend of ours and when my husband told him..."No we're good, not interested in any more investing etc etc" The guy looked at the change jar and made him a deal...he said lets take your jar to the bank have it counted out and if its over $2000 will you at least invest in a 12mo CD? Hubby agreed not thinking we'd have that much...well after 8 trips to the bank with this change he had over $3500!!!!!! The girls had about $250 each themselves! There's our next Disney vacation right there! I cant help bust his chops by telling him constantly all the interest he has lost on that money over the pas 12 years!! hahaha (but secretly I am really glad we had it, what a nice surprise)

Well I AM glad its not just my husband. I would take a little every day, but he keeps track of it and not that he would get angry I have slipped into it for the kids lunch money many times but he would be more hurt than anything else. He prides himself on that money. I do have to say a couple of years ago he did spend 500.00 of it to buy our son a used motor bike. But the rest is off limits!! We are even hurting a bit in our vacation money and had to cut back on going to Universal and a couple of other things (We didn't have to cut Blizzard beach though yippee!!), but hubby refuses to use the change!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused: !!!!!!!!!!

Goodness, I wish change would last in our change jar that long! We get the jar half full, and then everyone starts dipping into it for lunch money, coffee money, etc. The only amount we were ever able to save was $30...we're not too good with the change saving thing!:rolleyes:

My husband probably was like that BEFORE marriage. But me, the 2 kids that came with me, and the 2 kids we've had together since then, have managed to take everything the poor man has ever had! He has resorted to just handing me the change out of his pocket every evening so I don't have to steal it later! I use it for kids' lunch money and ice cream money, but I do save a little over the summer. I started 2 weeks ago, and I am up to almost $20...I really need to consider this saving thing!

My husband saves all of his change. He used to save for a year then spend it at Christmas time. This spring I told him I wanted to go on a Disney cruise and I convinced him and everyone else in the family to start saving their change. We opened up a Vacation account at a bank 15 miles from our house so it wasn't too accessible. Our first deposit was 650.00. I told the Kids once we have enough for our cruise we will book our trip. Now they save all of their change too!
:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

No, my DH spends money like there's no tomorrow. Since I'm on the budget boards, you can guess who holds the joint checkbook! ;)

My brother, who is now 42 years old, started saving change in one of those giant plastic coke bottles, you know the ones that are like 4 feet tall? He started this when we (I am now 43) were still living with our parents and in high school. By our senior year, this bottle was jammed to the hilt with dollars, fives, tens and some twenty's, not to mention all the change of every denomination. So he got another bottle, and another and so on...he now has about 10 full bottles and won't cash them in! It is like an obsession! I have no idea why he would not cash in, he says he doesn't need the money (he owns a home building business and is a union carpenter), but it could be in the bank gaining interest!

I can't even imagine how much $$$$ is in just even one bottle, when I filled a coffee can last year, I had over $300, he must have in the thousands!

The question I have is how do you get all that change counted and rolled. Most of the banks around here (Mass)will not take it unrolled AND if you want to just put it through a coin sorter then you need to find one of those CoinstarMachines and pay a %which is counter productive.

If you have a Commerce bank in your area they count it for free. You don't even need to have an account with them. We used to go to the grocery store but they were charging 9%.

Saving change is a great way to save without having to work at saving that money... but I think it's going a bit far to save change but not use it- to the point that things are being cut back on the vacation and such... while the change still sits there. That sounds like he's using it as a savings account- but it's not earning any interest while sitting there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter