Does anyone go to Disney without DH?

I went without him in January and in a few weeks the 2 youngest and I are going. I'm not taking DD,16 because she went in April with her band and I had to pay almost as much for her to go for several days as I am for the 3 of us to go a week! I like being the one in charge because My DH can sometimes be a stick in the mud.

threeboysmom said:
I go to WDW more often WITHOUT my husband than with him. Just works out better that way sometimes...

Works out better????!!!!

I will correct her... it Sucks!!!!

Lucy! You got some 'splainin to do!!!

I have been toying with the idea :scratchin , but after the last comment he made about me needing to put my disney energy into something else :furious: (more productive) :furious: he's staying home!!!!!

He has enjoyed our past trips but after the 2007 vacation I think he will have of had his "fill" of disney.( I just dont understand that :confused3 ) just like he doesnt understand what makes it my passion.

He's a good man and we have a wonderful family (not perfect but solid and happy) but he just doesnt get the same feeling we girls do. (Yes he is out numbered with females in this house.) My gripe is that we have been together for over 18 years and he use to go hunting every fall and spring, as well as a fishing trip here and there and I understood (or at least put up with pleasantly) why he liked those trips. (I did not go on most of these trips so I guess I shouldnt expect him to go on all of "my" trips) but you somehow feel that you are not a "good" family if you dont do everything together. I now see how that is not a true nor good way of seeing a non dh trip.

I really think that we will go to wdw after this next vacation w/o him, and I was soooo glad :) to see that I'm not alone. Maybe he'll do every other trip or something like that.
Thanks for starting this thread !!

Yes! A WDW trip can be fun without the DH too. I went with just our toddler (I needed a "fix") and it was great. :cool1:

Next time, I'd FOR SURE leave my Dad at home. He griped about everything!! Only my Mom can join us again. :banana: :lmao:

My new rule:From here on out only people who WANT to go get to come!!

We started planning and the more I plan I like to adjust or fine tune my plans. DH dosen't like plans. Urgh. Now he says he dosen't want to go. The trip will definately work out better this way. This is trip #20 for me, he has only been 3 times. He complains I spend to much money and time on Disney. He just dosen't get it. Disney is Life.

My father hates Disney World. He hates crowds, lines, heat, and the sun. Rides are okay, but not worth it if he has to go through the previous things I listed. He is allergic to sunscreen and already has skin cancer so Florida really isn't the best place for him anyway. He endured it when my brother and I were little. He stopped going when I was ten. He was always pretty good about it when we were there, he put on a brave face for the kids I guess you could say. My grandpa lived in Clearwater FL, so that was another reason he would go to FL. The last trip my father made Disney my granpa died. My brother has also lost the love of Disney. My mom and I go all by are lonesome. Occasionally I'll bring a friend or she'll bring my aunt.

GoofyBaseballMom26 said:
My DH is a BIG OLE DISNEY SCROOGE :crazy2: My DS (20) try to go every year and we have a blast. Much more fun without him (and I'm not being mean, just truthful). I don't know what I'm going to do when DS can't go anymore, quess I'll just have to go by myself.

I am in the same boat. DS is 16 and we have probably our last trip scheduled for March, 2007 so I am going all out with extras. I do have a trip in the works in about 3 years with DB and his family and his wife, my favorite DSIL, has already said they will be going every other year after that and I am more than welcome to go with them. I expect DB won't be going on those other trips so it will be just she and I and their 2 boys whom I adore. Yippee. More Disney trips to plan. :yay:

DH here, and guess what...I'm going and leaving DW behind!

Not that she doesn't enjoy it, but due to circumstances this year (we just adopted a little girl from Korea a few months ago, and DW is due next month), she doesn't want to venture out anywhere with the girls that soon (and neither do I). This means I will get to do a father/son trip this September. I'm a bit worried about things, such as complications with the delivery, and getting stranded due to weather, but she wants us to go, and her mom is coming to stay with her while we're gone to help with things around the house. We're only going for 4 nights/5 days, but without her slowing us down in the morning with all that time consuming makeup and hair - we're gonna make some great progress!

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one going to WDW without DH! My 7 year old DD and I are going on our first trip without DH in Oct. I was feeling kind of funny about it, everyone seems to think I'm crazy for going without DH.:confused3 He isn't even interested in going and doesn't want to fly. So it will be just DD and I. I'm excited but also getting nervous. Right before I saw this post I was worried that I shouldn't be going on this trip alone with my DD. I kept thinking of all the what ifs (different things that could happen). But after reading all the posts, I'm more excited. I think we will have a wonderful time and have a great experience and I'm so excited! My DH sounds like some of the others, he would just complain and not want to do what we wanted to do anyway!
Now, can anyone give me some tips on traveling alone with your child. I do things with my DD alone all the time, but always close to home. This is our first time away from home together for even just one night! I'm kind of worried about having to carry all the money. Any tips on that? Or any tips in general are appreciated! This is my 1st trip in 20 years to WDW and my DD's 1st trip ever to WDW! :cool1: :bounce: :banana:

traces7 said:
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one going to WDW without DH! My 7 year old DD and I are going on our first trip without DH in Oct. I was feeling kind of funny about it, everyone seems to think I'm crazy for going without DH.:confused3 He isn't even interested in going and doesn't want to fly. So it will be just DD and I. I'm excited but also getting nervous. Right before I saw this post I was worried that I shouldn't be going on this trip alone with my DD. I kept thinking of all the what ifs (different things that could happen). But after reading all the posts, I'm more excited. I think we will have a wonderful time and have a great experience and I'm so excited! My DH sounds like some of the others, he would just complain and not want to do what we wanted to do anyway!
Now, can anyone give me some tips on traveling alone with your child. I do things with my DD alone all the time, but always close to home. This is our first time away from home together for even just one night! I'm kind of worried about having to carry all the money. Any tips on that? Or any tips in general are appreciated! This is my 1st trip in 20 years to WDW and my DD's 1st trip ever to WDW! :cool1: :bounce: :banana:

How exciting! I took my DD, 4 at the time, last September by myself. I was terrified that I would lose her somewhere in the airport, the hotel or one of the parks, but she made it home with me! :cheer2: I know your daughter is a bit older, but some tips I picked up before our trip:

Put your cell-phone number somewhere on her body - inside of her shoes, watchband, belt, anywhere - and show her what a CM looks like - that way, if you get separated, they can call you directly instead of taking her to the "lost kid" party and waiting for you to come there.

For money - if you're staying on-site, it's easy to just use your room key for everything instead of carrying cash or credit cards - if you lose it, you can just go to guest services to have it deactivated instead of tracking down your credit card company's numbers.

Use PhotoPass - that way, you'll be sure to have some great pictures of the two of you when you get back!

Hope you have a great time!!!

traces7 said:
I'm kind of worried about having to carry all the money. Any tips on that? Or any tips in general are appreciated! This is my 1st trip in 20 years to WDW and my DD's 1st trip ever to WDW! :cool1: :bounce: :banana:

I also don't carry much. I try to have enough cash and some for whatever I will need a few dollars for (snacks, tips, drinks, some meals). I also put/charge most of it to my resort key/card. I also use my debit visa or credit card. Just pay it off as soon as I get home. You can use an atm at the resort also if you think you are running short with your cash.

Just a thought.

Have a great time.

Last Aug DS & I had our first mother/son two week WDW vacation

In 17 days the 2 of us leave again for a week at WDW before DH joins us for a week

traces7 said:

You two will have so much fun. I agree with the comments about showing your DD what a CM looks like in case she gets lost. Carry your room card and use it for purchases so you won't be carrying around a lot of money. If you're staying off-site, maybe consider traveler's checks? Or just use a debit card and withdraw money as you need it.

I typically go alone with my two boys, or my mom comes with us, but since you have a daughter, you might like to try the high tea at the GF (I think I've seen people post that they have that) or each get your hair wrapped at one of the resorts (they sometimes have this in the pool area), or something fun like that.

I love DH, but it really is fun to just do something alone with the kids every once in a while. Have fun! :goodvibes

I was a single mom for 12 years and would take the 3 children down on my own. We had a blast every year! Of course being a single mom we had to do everything on a budget which meant for most of our trips we camped at FW Campground. Now that I'm remarried and am able to afford staying at the moderate and deluxe resorts I find myself missing FW. One of these days we'll stay at the campground again, but until then I'm sure enjoying the other resorts. :)

Definitely go alone with the kidlets just as I tell others go as a couple without the kidlets. Did that just make sense? LOL Anyways, it's a different experience but still magical as ever if not more so. You'll have a blast!

This next trip (in Sept.) will be the 3rd time I'm going with my dd, my sister and her 2 kids, and our mom. While it's really fun for us to go with dh too, going with cousins, aunt, and grammy, is a totally different kind of fun for all of us.

:surfweb: Wow, I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who thinks its ok to go to WDW without my DH. He usually goes with us. But, this year the dates are not working out for everyone. So, we decided that it would be good for me to take my DD's(7 & 17). I am very excited. I have a few co-workers who have made comments that are making me feel very guilty. I have to admit I am a little nervous going without him. But, my biggest problem is trying to keep my DD-7 busy to where she doesn't miss her dad so much. (She is a daddy's girl) Does anyone have any suggestions to help especially at bedtime?

Just updating....We came back from our trip and it went great! We missed dh, but we still had fun and I'm glad we went. I was nervous about traveling alone with the kids because I've never done that before, but everything fell into place OK. I wouldn't hesitate to take the kids to WDW on my own again if we ever have the opportunity to do so.

I have a trip report posted on the Trip Report board if anyone is interested.

I would definitely go without him, especially if all he would do is complain about it. That is totally incomprehensible to me how anyone would not want to go and enjoy it. And would rather be at the office working????????? WTH is up with that??????? To me that's like saying would you rather be tortured, or would you rather lay on the beach? There are just some things in life I guess I will never understand.

DH has come along on our last 7 trips but won't be coming on our Thanksgiving trip -it's his busy season as a farmer.
In fact,DD's 1st trip in 1996(she was 2) was a daddyless trip. This will be our 3rd trip w/out DH. I must say that I do miss him though.

Pixiedust34 said:
Just updating....We came back from our trip and it went great! We missed dh, but we still had fun and I'm glad we went. I was nervous about traveling alone with the kids because I've never done that before, but everything fell into place OK. I wouldn't hesitate to take the kids to WDW on my own again if we ever have the opportunity to do so.

I have a trip report posted on the Trip Report board if anyone is interested.

So glad to hear your trip went ok without your DH. I am looking forward to my mother/son trip next year with my 2 boys! We will have so much fun! I am also a little nervous about traveling alone with my 2 boys, but I am sure it will be fine. Disney is a very family-friendly place so we will be in good hands! :thumbsup2

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter