Does anyone go to Disney without DH?

Harvest02

DIS Veteran
We are a family of 4, but my DH does not enjoy Disney like me. Says it costs too much money and says it is not relaxing for him. We all went in June(even my DH), but next time I may just take the kids with me by myself. Has anyone ever done this and how did the trip turn out? I am planning on taking the kids in October 2007 for the Halloween party, and my DH is welcome to come, but sometimes I just wish he would stay home since all he does is gripe and complain about our trip when we are there. Says he has too much work to do at the office and should be at home, says everything costs too much, it is too hot, etc. My DS are 9 and 5 now and they LOVED Disney when they were there. We watch the Disney programs on Discovery and Travel Channels and whenever Mickey shows up on the TV, my DS5 says "When can we go back?". I think childhood is too short, and I want my kids to experience Disney as much as they can. Troubles fade away when we are there! Just want to know if anyone else has a spouse that just doesn't get it and goes to Disney anyway?

Yup! We have and we are again in August!

We've done it twice now. I was scared the first time and even a little the second time but we still had a great time. It was just different.

We still have our annual family trip though.

We do miss him and call him every day a few times a day but we also enjoy the fact that we can do girly things without his being bored. We can shop all day; swim all day. We can do the long wait things like the parade and fireworks without his getting bored/grouchy.

I don't have to agree with another adult about what we're going to do! ;)

He's not an early riser so its nice to get out early for EMH mornings.

Its just different but still fun.

My biggest fear is driving but I did fine. Another negative was when my 6 year old was throwing up. I had to deal with it on my own and I wanted to go get her some toast or a muffin and I had to bring her along because there was no one to watch her...but we worked it out.

Anyway, I highly recommend it.

I've never gone alone, but now that he and I are getting a divorce...looks like I will be! :banana: :banana: :banana:

My mother wants to go with me...I guess one of these years, we'll do a girls-only trip!

YUP!!! Three times!!!! I've done girls only trips!!! He doesn't like to go crazy and stay at the parks all day, so I've got friends to do that with!!! and when I go with him, I trully enjoy the sights, and we take it slow with lots of breaks. I LOVE going both ways.

:rotfl: ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We've went 3 times as a family & then last year he said "do I HAVE to go again? - I've already seen them meet their princess what else is there?" Yea yea I know..

SO last year I took my girls for what was supposed to be our one & only w/o daddy trip....we had the time of our lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one complaining about thelines, the weather, do we need another picture with Mickey....can we go relax now, where's the golf course? why do you need to see fireworks, we have those at home, how much for that? :rotfl: :rotfl:

So this year we're doing it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a great time! I love dh & he's a great guy...but he just doesn't get it

Yes! I've been more times w/o dh than with. He doesn't enjoy it, but he caved in when I kind of sneakily got him to agree to this trip hee hee. You can read my pre-trip report on how I got him to go below.
Anyhow, we have had lots of fun and the kids have a blast as well:) Next year our trip will be w/o him.

DH hates to spend money and he definately doesn't like WDW, so this past Jan. my niece and I went and next Jan. I'll be doing a solo trip. :cool1: DH and I went to WDW back in 2002 and had a blast, but he isn't a Disney nut like Iam, so off to the world I go....I'm so excited! :Pinkbounc

Yes! We have gone all together as a family, I had a trip alone with DD #1, a trip alone with DD #2 & a trip with the two girls & I. DH isn't that into Disney like me & the girls are. I'm going back in Sept. with just my DD #2 for her b-day & I can't wait!

Yep - our trip in September will be without him. I would try to get him to come if he could, but since he can't that answered that. He's never been and doesn't have a desire to ever go. (He doesn't like to feel like he is being herded - and hates crowds. He can't stand lines. "I am not a cow. I won't go Mooooo". :rolleyes: ). I have tried explaining that it isn't about him, it is about enjoying the joy on his children's faces as they experience the Disney Magic. I think he is being selfish and was going to push HARD for a summer 2007 trip.

When my conference at CSR came up, it worked out perfectly. He can't go (he is a college professor and can't just take off of work). My sister is coming with me and my 2 kids. So I'll still have the 1 adult to child ratio for most of the trip (and while I am in the expo working she will stay with the kids at the parks).

And while I WISH he would give it a try -- I LOVE Disney and have been many times - he "hates" it but has never been ... how he can say he HATES something he's never experienced is beyond me - we tell our kids they CAN'T do that, ever (like in rejecting foods they've never tried, etc) -- I think we will have a lot more fun without him. On one hand, I'm sad that he is missing this experience with his kids, on the other if he truly DOES turn out to hate it, I don't want him bringing us down from our cloud. :cloud9:

My mom & I go without my dad every year now for the Flower & Garden Festival. We miss him a lot and call him several times a day, but it works out okay. The last two years, he came down for three days at the end of our trip just to see the new stuff. It's a nice way to do things.

Harvest02 said:
We are a family of 4, but my DH does not enjoy Disney like me. Says it costs too much money and says it is not relaxing for him. We all went in June(even my DH), but next time I may just take the kids with me by myself. Has anyone ever done this and how did the trip turn out? I am planning on taking the kids in October 2007 for the Halloween party, and my DH is welcome to come, but sometimes I just wish he would stay home since all he does is gripe and complain about our trip when we are there. Says he has too much work to do at the office and should be at home, says everything costs too much, it is too hot, etc. My DS are 9 and 5 now and they LOVED Disney when they were there. We watch the Disney programs on Discovery and Travel Channels and whenever Mickey shows up on the TV, my DS5 says "When can we go back?". I think childhood is too short, and I want my kids to experience Disney as much as they can. Troubles fade away when we are there! Just want to know if anyone else has a spouse that just doesn't get it and goes to Disney anyway?

Add me to the list-several times! My dh had had enough after several trips, and I wanted to go back, so I did individual trips with each of my dd and my best friend, who is also their godmother. We have gone 3 times without him, and once with him since then. We enjoyed every trip, and he did better because he didn't have to go on them all! Will be going (hopefully) with the whole family over Thanksgiving and with girls only next spring--and an "adult" girls only trip in January! No husbands and no kids. . . :woohoo: :woohoo:

Even though DH loves Disney (I converted him!), there was one time where we got a great deal (rooms, flight) and he couldn't go. So, DS and I had our first mother/son trip -- and it coincided w/mother's day!!!

We had a blast!!! We missed DH, but it was nice just the two of us. I'm looking forward to doing it again this May!

Yes! My dh does not care for Disney much either. Says his been there done that, time to go someplace else. So the last 3 trips have been without him. We have 2 sons age 12 & 9. I am the same as you, as long as my boys enjoy going I will be taking them.

We have another trip planned for Oct. & then in Jan. I will be taking our oldest ds for his 13th birthday, I can't wait! I was worried the 1st time I went alone, but we had no problems at all. We enjoyed ourselves so much & the best part we did not have to listen to anyone complain!

I love my dh very much, but this is one place I will go without him. Dh is not a total ogre though, we are taking a trip to Europe next year & we will visit DLP :Pinkbounc

Hi
I'm going without my DH in August with my DD and DGD. He doesn't want to come this time especially since we have all things planned around my DGD who is 3 1/2. He likes Disney, but would rather stay at home, and we'd rather him stay at home. He would complain too much if he were with us. Last year, my girlfriend and I went on a girls only trip and we're going again in December. Can't wait. It was great. We got to actually shop without our husbands rushing us out of the stores. Maybe you could do something else together as a family that DH likes to do, so he doesnt' feel too left out. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Yep, all the time. Look at my signature below, see all those trip? DH didn't go on any of them!

DH is a dairy farmer. He doesn't feel his help is responsible enough to take over for him if he went away, so he never does. I have NEVER vacationed with him. DS and I don't let him stop us though!

Do I wish DH would join us sometime? Yes, I do, but then I think about all the complaining he would do when he realized what things cost! :lol

Last February, we ended up going without DH because it was the only time that worked between my schedule and dd's high school schedule. DH had a major project that had to be completed within 3 months and there was no time during that period that he could get away so we went without him.

Now DH loves going to WDW almost as much as dd and I do so it was very difficult for all of us. DD brought a friend along--and she and I have decided that if DH can't come with us again, it would just be the two of us. The dynamics were just weird--they're teenagers and wanted to do some stuff on their own but felt bad leaving me (even though I was fine with it.) Plus the two of us just ended up missing DH being there--he is a lot of fun on vacation. :teeth:

Well dh won't be with us when we go in Aug. He and I went once before, ten years ago, before dd was born. He had planned on going with us but couldn't get any time off from work this summer. He wasn't excited about it and was only going for dd's sake. When we figured out he couldn't go we scrapped our plan. But then my sister mentioned taking my nephew this summer and then we had the great idea of taking our kids together (and our mom is going too).

Now dh has since started a new job and could go. But he really doesn't want to and I can't convince him. So he'll stay home. He doesn't mind going, if he can just spend one or two days there and hit the beach. That doesn't fly with me lol!

I have no advice yet, but good luck!

Yup, went 2 times without him. My DS and Dfriend and 2 girls all went together. However, the last time we went the kids were so excited the night before. We were talking about what we wanted to do etc and my DH looked a little sad. I felt bad but hey he didn't want to go so SEE YA! The kids really missed him when we went so next trip will be a family trip. My DH hates crowds and comando touring so it will be a slow, enjoy the scenery type of trip but we'll have just as much fun. The kids really want him to go. He has never been to Disney so wish me luck on creating a Disney monster like myself!

My DH is the same way. He's OK the first 2 or 3 days, but after that....forget it! We took our DGS, 4 last May to Star Wars and by the 4th day I was ready to ship DH home. "It's tooooo hot, too many people, etc." I left him at the villa the last 4 days of the trip!!

I managed to take a completely spur of the moment trip last Dec. and DH stayed home. I refuse to take him again.

I'm going next month with my 2 daughters and future son-in-law. I have a conference to attend for 2 days, but the rest of the time it will be fun, fun, fun!!!

Of course, he will be going in Dec., 2007 - our youngest DD will have a Fairy Tale Wedding at my Happy Place!!! I'm thinking about putting him on a Greyhound bus 2 days before the wedding so he doesn't have to come down early with the rest of the group!!

He does say if I ever go anyplace else, he'll go. You mean there's somewhere else to go on vacation???? :rotfl:

We've gone together so far, but our work schedules just don't line up. I teach and have spring break and summers free. He owns a pool business and those are his busiest times.

I am taking some personal days to go in October, but he's talking about taking the kids this winter, so I won't be able to go :sad:
But you better believe if he's going in the winter, I'm taking the kids in the summer!! :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter