• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone else ever get frustrated?

TheConsciousness

Coaster Skeptic
I'm not sure I've ever seen a thread dedicated to venting, which popped into my head while a family of 8 were cutting in line to join their relatives in front of us.
The wife and I just got back from a 5-day stay including our first time attending an OI meetup, which was amazing; but there always seems to be something that eats away at the magic of your vacation.

Whether it be the nostalgia of all of our favorite rides and attractions, without remembering the painful aching legs and hoards of confused crowds that I tend to never factor in.
Or the gigantic groups of cheerleaders that always seem to be visiting when we are.
Or the loud gaggle of teenagers slap-fighting next to a pregnant woman in line at Velocicoaster.
Or the team members who answer with "I dunno" when asking them seemingly simple questions.
Or the 10 minute pre-shows that make you roll your eyes and say "JUST LET ME ON!", I never seem to remember these frustrations when I'm planning our 6th, 7th, or 8th visit.

I understand that there are potential solutions to each of our frustrations, and that we should all be more thick-skinned and forgiving, etc, etc, but has anyone else had any frustrations when it comes to visiting Universal, or parks in general that they'd like to share?

I have found Disney to be worse than Universal in terms of line cutting. It does happen at Universal but in our experience so much less.

As far as cheerleaders when we went back in September 2017 there were a decent amount of them but we really only encountered them in terms of clumped together at the Simpsons area quick service building (where you have the multiple places to eat in the same building) and the TMs did a good job of corralling them. In May 2022 we didn't experience any but could have been time of the year.

As far as the pre-shows most people enjoy them but I understand the feeling of them taking up time. I liked the pre-show on Hagrids and the first time we rode it it was not happening so when it was the second time I liked that. Now if we're talking about Fast and Furious pre-show? Well I'm pretty certain most of us think the ride itself could probably be turned into something better much less standing through the pre-show lol.

But I get the feeling you have. I think it's normal for there to be something on each trip (where ever you are) to just bug you or you think in the moment my goodness why.

Maybe the biggest frustration I could come up with from our May trip was probably how slow some people were when it came to ordering when we didn't do mobile ordering. In hindsight we probably should have mobile ordered at Thunder Falls Terrace. The TMs did warn us it would be faster but who would have thought with the whole place mostly dead that the people in line would be using so much cash and taking forever to order and count the cash? Not us.

The "please let us past you to join our friends/family" folk never cease to amaze and bug me. Because they're "joining" someone else in line they don't think of themselves as "cutting". But they are. I've never blocked anyone, but I have spoken to a few, who invariably say "oh, they're just up there - not many people ahead of you". To which I reply - if that's true, why don't they just move BACK in line to join you?

Stunned silence.

The "please let us past you to join our friends/family" folk never cease to amaze and bug me. Because they're "joining" someone else in line they don't think of themselves as "cutting". But they are. I've never blocked anyone, but I have spoken to a few, who invariably say "oh, they're just up there - not many people ahead of you". To which I reply - if that's true, why don't they just move BACK in line to join you?

Stunned silence.

Totally agree. We have a lot of things we'd LOVE to say, but can never bring ourselves to, so we wallow in it. I should start asking "Hi, can we both go in front of you? It'll make the numbers easier, plus there is ONLY two of us."

Stunned silence.
For the most part, I agree with you. The exception I would be willing to make is adults traveling with little kids who had to get out of line because the little one needed to use the restroom.

For the most part, I agree with you. The exception I would be willing to make is adults traveling with little kids who had to get out of line because the little one needed to use the restroom.
Can't argue with that! I was also surprised to hear team members announcing "Please only send one member of your party to the lockers, while the rest of you may continue into the queue. Your party member can then join you inside." as if cutting rules had been temporarily paused.

Can't argue with that! I was also surprised to hear team members announcing "Please only send one member of your party to the lockers, while the rest of you may continue into the queue. Your party member can then join you inside." as if cutting rules had been temporarily paused.
I wouldn't consider that cutting. The locker spaces don't have enough room for all people to join in especially in busy times in general. And there's also rides where the lockers are located before you get in the queue like MIB. These situations are different because there really isn't time nor space for people to just suddenly join in so while you may lose your exact place in line it's not because 6 people joined 2 people because those 6 people were off doing something else.

Stunned silence.

I did that to a group of teens a few years ago. Their expression was priceless. Even better was when one of the group called me something rude. I merely pointed out that he can't hurt my feelings...I have none to hurt, so hit the back of the line.

My biggest park pet peeve is the groups of people, either teens or whole families, that go into the lockers together, stand in front of the bank of lockers and start taking off their bags, purses, etc. to hand them to their family member/friend to be put in the locker. Or even better when they are leaving the ride and stand there in a big group and put all their stuff back on and mill around discusssing where they are going to head next whilst blocking access to the whole bank of lockers :rolleyes2

my pet peeve is smokers who smoke in nonsmoking areas. Seems like every time I sit down somewhere to enjoy a cocktail or snack, someone inevitably arrives after me and parks themselves nearby to light up. I always look for a TM, but they're never around at the time and so many people are angry/confrontational these days, that I hesitate to approach them directly to request they move to the smoking section. But I do resent always having to be the one that moves away.

My other pet peeve is parents who think it's cute when their kids scare the ducks and squirrels or throw things at them. That I will do something about, as I won't stand for animal harassment. >:(

My biggest park pet peeve is the groups of people, either teens or whole families, that go into the lockers together, stand in front of the bank of lockers and start taking off their bags, purses, etc. to hand them to their family member/friend to be put in the locker. Or even better when they are leaving the ride and stand there in a big group and put all their stuff back on and mill around discusssing where they are going to head next whilst blocking access to the whole bank of lockers :rolleyes2
Ah, yes. My family has an expression we use - to ourselves, sotto voce - whenever we run into that motionless clump of people - at the exit of a ride, or the entrance to a shop, or in the middle of the street - "Those people need standing lessons".

eHh4bGFyZ2UuZ2lm.gif

This the season for the airing of grievances!

We have been experiencing the line cutters like crazy and I finally yelled at my own family about the locker situation. I told them to wait for everyone to finish and we will join the line together, because the cutting is NOT happening for everyone to catch up. I also let people pass us when we stop to take pictures, no matter how many times we ride, we still need photos in certain rides! LOL!!
As far as the line cutters, I am getting so annoyed that when one fairly large group (think over 8 people) was added to the queue line just a hair behind us on the Jurassic Park water ride, where the line was LESS THAN 15 MINUTES, I waved to the family behind them and said:
Ohhh hey guys, there you are!!! Come on up and then I Said the same to the couple behind them and pretty much about 10 people that were behind them and let them all in front of us, telling the cutters that they were part of our group. This put the cutters at the end of the line and they had no clue what to say!

I felt petty and knew I shouldn't of have done it, but it was ridiculous that they kept taking down the ropes to let people in every 2 minutes instead of just waiting for their group.

Ah, yes. My family has an expression we use - to ourselves, sotto voce - whenever we run into that motionless clump of people - at the exit of a ride, or the entrance to a shop, or in the middle of the street - "Those people need standing lessons".
Or as I call it, "The World 'Just Standing There' Championships", with Orlando being the host city now for the 17th consecutive year!

This definitely happens to me. But I find when we collectively start getitng frustrated, that’s usually a clue that it is time to head to the resort pool and/or call an audible and have a sleep-in day the next day, even if we had “plans.”

After a week of being home, the magic of the parks has set back in full force. I see how they keep sneaking away with my money now!
Maybe I should just move to Orlando so that I shouldn't feel so rushed to make my time worth it while at the parks.

We are going to be there during Rock the Universe and I read online that (ironically) it can be quite a rowdy group. We will make the best of it but I might come back and vent on here ;p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter