Do you still have your Secure/Recession proof job?

:lmao: That's hilarious!!!!

My dh is an Episcopal priest. His job is fairly secure. Of course, his salary depends upon bringing in enough money to the church. But, he's a great fund-raiser, so I don't have worries there. Our health insurance, on the other hand, stinks now. Oh well. I'm just thankful that he's employed!!

My sister's husband has been a Baptist pastor for 7 years and their church just closed! :scared1:They did not have the financial resources coming in to keep the church going. So, my brother-in-law is now looking at moving back into the corporate world of IT.

First, thank goodness people are sending their kids to art school because it's putting food on your table.

Second, what exactly is wrong with art school? Did art suddenly stop being relevant or important?

I am glad that people still send their children to art programs.

I think I gave the wrong impression. My DH's college (SCAD) is great and one of the most prestigious art colleges in the country. If we didn't think art was important, he wouldn't work there, he wouldn't be getting his masters in art, DS wouldn't play the trumpet at MS, and he wouldn't be on the track to attend the Arts Academy when he is in HS.

The "snowflake" comment was about some of DH's students, whose parents will come in and beg for grades, etc. These are college students. He says a lot of them just don't care, and at $300/credit hour, they ought to.

Not sure if that is what gave you your impression. :confused3

I work in our local/city government (after losing a job in the mortgage industry in 2008). Still have my job, but we reopened our contracts only 6 months after they had been signed and agreed to a two year wage freeze in order to ensure there are no layoffs in our department in those two years.....

We have two years of wage freezes at my county too, so wanted to tell you you have a sister in the state next to yours.:hug: It is hard with the rising costs of energy and food, but at this point I try to count my blessing and be thankful I have a job. We may still have layoffs here, despite the wage freezes.

I work in food manufacturing and have been very lucky. We have continued to grow as people have stayed home, but at a slower rate than before (we are still an indulgence product). All bonuses and raises have continued as well. The raises have gotten smaller because the job market hasn't supported larger ones. We also haven't been backfilling full time jobs as people have left the company hourly and salary. This has prevented us from having to do deeper cuts. We are doing summer hiring for vacation backfills and increased volume, but they are only temporary jobs (no benefits). My wife is a SAHM so her job is pretty safe for now. Overall I feel pretty good about where I'm at, as long as I continue to get good results.

There are lots of military here! DH is a career counselor in the Navy and has no problems with reenlistments, everyone wants to stay in! In fact, they are trimming out those who underperform.

I'm embarassed to say it but I have a recession proof Federal Government job and we have gotten raises every year. I am happy to have a job but hate working for the entity that I despise the most.

I am a speech therapist in the public schools. I don't exactly do that anymore-I actually run a preschool program for kids with autism-60 kids plus 40 staff. In terms of seniority, I am third in line right now and will be second in seniority next year (of about 16 people) I have one of the most secure jobs around.

DH works for a defense contractor. His project is very close to launching, and there is no way that funding would be pulled now-otherwise basically millions and millions would be lost. Then there is 4-5 years of monitoring that he would need to do (not alot of people would have the background to do it) In 4-5 years, dh might be able to retire-he'll have his points, based on years of experience and age. However, we'll have 1 just finishing college (or hopefully, anyway), another one who has just started and a third getting ready to start, so retirement will be just a dream for him!

Basically, we are budgeting because we have one going off to college, not because of fear of job loss.

Julia

I am an RN, my job is pretty secure. I work per diem at a rehab hospital & can work as many hours as I want - they are always short staffed

I quit my recession-stable (non-profit with multi-year grants, last person out the door, good cash-flow-visibility) job on Feb 15 with no new job lined up. I gave notice with a last day of March 12. By Feb 16 I had a new employer eagerly waiting for me to have availability, and I've been working as many hours as I want ever since. With a 40% raise. Oh, and the old job asked me to come back as a consultant, so I've been doing that too. The new job is less stable (it's a profitable startup but could go under) but the experience is invaluable, as are the networking contacts I'm making. And the work is just so much -fun-.

DH is working fewer hours for his recession-stable employer, and more hours with his higher-paying private-sector job, and has not enough working hours to go around.

That said, I expect everything to change in about 15 months. Then DH will have his Master's degree and will be looking for a new job, either with the for-profit company (it's looking increasingly likely that they'll offer and increasingly unlikely he'd accept) or with a new-to-us company. A move is likely, with all of the instability that implies.

My sister's husband has been a Baptist pastor for 7 years and their church just closed! :scared1:They did not have the financial resources coming in to keep the church going. So, my brother-in-law is now looking at moving back into the corporate world of IT.

Yikes!!! I've heard of that happening. But, we are blessed with a wonderful congregation that has met (and exceeded) the church's budget (so far). We've lost a few members as they've had to move out of state to find jobs. But, so far we continue to grow. We are being realistic, however. We've got a significant amount of money saved, just in case. But, I think that if he were to be in danger of losing his job, we'd see the writing on the wall well in advance.

I'm so sorry for your sister and BIL. I pray he find employment soon.

30 years with the Federal Government and I get great ratings from every review. At this point it would take an act of congress for me to lose my job and even then I'd be one of the last people fired.

Another RN here and my job in the NICU is as secure as ever. No shortage of premature or critically ill babies being born. :sad1:

I would gladly take my BSN and find work in another area if all babies were born healthy from now on!!! :love: Till then I will go to work and get a paycheck for loving on babies and doing what I can to give them their best chance at a healthy life! :cloud9:

OP, I'd be awfully surprised if very many CPA's are losing their jobs. Especially those actually working in Public Accounting.

Yup. I'm a respiratory therapist in a major hospital (level 1 trauma center, multiple ICUs), and I am REALLY high up in seniority in my department on my shift (nights) and we are union, so even if there were layoffs, they would have to lay off the entire department to get to me. In fact this year is the last year of our contract and I have gotten pretty good raises the past three years. I'm sure when we begin negotiations on our next contract we won't do as well.

DH works for the state, and he, too, is in a union and very high up in senority. His raises have been as big as mine, but still, they are raises. His job is pretty darn secure too... in fact he just got a promotion to supervising a department related to the one he has worked in for the last 15 years.

The only thing that has really affected us is the downturn in the housing market, we were contemplating selling our house to move a half hour away, closer to our jobs and family, but we would have lost a ton of equity in our house. We love our house and where we live (we are waterfront on a lake... it can't be beat) SO we commute to work, to family gatherings, to the grocery store, etc. etc. etc.

We are pretty lucky, I know. I have many friends and family members who have been hit hard by the economy. I hope it turns around soon.

Dh still has his job in mangement at a car dealership. He's at the bodyshop. 2009 only saw about a 1% decrease in our income so we cannot complain at all. So far 2010 has rocked and business is booming.

DH still has his job and they actually hired someone recently! He is a CPA for one of the big 4 accounting firms.

Dawn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter