Do you still have your Secure/Recession proof job?

DH works as a supervisor for one of the largest companies around. I asked him about job security. The only way he would ever be let go is if the company went under and that will never happen. All the workers would be gone, but the supervisors would stay.

Right now they are booming. That is a sure sign that the economy is getting better in our area.

Teacher, 12 years experience, not in danger of losing job this year. Pay freeze for next year. Class sizes will increase. Less staff, same amount of kids. hmmmm.:confused3

I sure hope the prices of things don't increase at all so I can come out even over the next year... *sarcastic smirk*

Yes, I still have my teaching job and have been renewed for next year. There have been cuts, though. My campus will lose one teacher and one aide at the end of the year. The teacher has been told that she will keep a job as the teaching staff is being reduced through attrition only but she will be moved wherever they have an open position. The aide job is gone.

I taught Summer School last year for the first time and hoped to again but Summer School has seen drastic budget cuts. I'm not counting on it as it seems really unlikely.

My DH still has a job and we consider ourselves blessed as I wouldn't consider his job recession proof.

I work in HEALTHCARE- no patient contact but my job does require at least an associates degree. Been doing it for almost 8 years now and feel very fortunate to have that "security". People don't stop getting sick in a recession.

Although they may stay away from the care they need because of finances, hopefully with healthcare reform that won't be the norm anymore in our future

I worked for a chemical manufacturer for 20 years and lost my job as of March 31, 2010. The original company I worked for was bought by another company. They have been laying people off since 2008. I have felt quite insecure about my job for a long time. It is terrible to walk in everyday wondering if you are going to have a job. I will get a considerable amount of severance and I have been going to school for Safety Management. I hope there is a silver lining in this cloud. :)

I was probably one of those people last year who said we had secure jobs. This has held true - actually more secure right now than we were a year ago. A year ago, our jobs were secure but DH was at risk of reduced hours (which happened for 6 weeks). Even though relatively secure, we had stepped up our savings in late 2008/early 2009 to ensure we had an emergency fund, just in case.

DH and I work for different divisions of the same company - I'm a manager at corporate, he's a manager in the technical/services side. We work at a mid-size entertainment/production company. The company's own productions (i.e. financially at risk) have had a decrease in sales during the recession, but not horrible and we've decreased our start-up costs on each. The good news is that we have an increasing number of outside projects (i.e. guaranteed profit).

We have had wage freezes, extreme decrease in 401k match, and increased workload with no new hires. Not just no new hires, the company has not replaced people who have quit. This is not due to financial difficulties, but to the CEO wanting to do as much work as possible with the least number of people. It looks like we will finally be able to add one temp to my dept this summer. I managed a raise in January as I was promoted and took on more work when my boss went part-time (her choice).

We may be less secure at this company in the future, but our jobs are as secure as they can be in this economy.

I taught Summer School last year for the first time and hoped to again but Summer School has seen drastic budget cuts. I'm not counting on it as it seems really unlikely.

Spoke too soon. I got my Summer School contract today so I guess I'm doing as well as last year.

Yep, my Job is secure.....unless someone else decides to come take care of my kids and do the laundry. ;)

DH is Active Duty Navy and they don't seem to want him to leave any time soon.

We still feel secure. DH is a Registered Vet Tech and the practice he works at is owned by our best friends of 22 years. They've made it clear that he has a job unless the practice folds (and they are actually busier than ever). So as long as his health holds he'll work there until retirement.
I work at a church in Finance and actually, since my job is sensitive, no one really knows how to do my job. I expect to be here until I retire..this is a 112 year old well established church. We've taken some hits but are still doing fine.
My part time job is at Hastings and I do the magazines. As long as they have magazines they don't want me to leave, so I'll do it as long as I can stand the physical aspects. Our store is the only entertainment option in town and our coffee bar is the most popular, so actually our sales have increased quite alot in the last couple years
My kids are pretty stable too. DD is a labor and delivery RN and commutes to the critical care hospital in the state. A goodly number of their patients are illegals or on Medicaid, and that doesn't seem to be changing, and babies will be born.
Younger DS is in training to be a police/fireman (yes, this little town has them combined)
Older DS is a graphic artist..I worry about his job the most, but he just got hired with a hopefully stable company (his other went out of business a couple years ago) and if you shop Kroger you may have seen his work.
So far, so good..we try and live frugally and put away, and we could actually squeak by on either of our salaries if forced to.

On the boards last year someone asked the question about people still planning disney trips and trips to other various places with the economy getting so bad. And I noticed the replies went something like " My dh and I have secure jobs that are not threatened by the economy. I just wonder how many people on here had what they thought was a secure job last year and now are out of a job?

Teachers are losing jobs, policeman are losing jobs, state workers are losing jobs, lawyers are losing jobs, cpa's are losing jobs. All these jobs a couple of years ago were considered "Secure jobs"
My husband owns 2 Tire & Auto stores and both businesses are thriving. In fact, we have had business growth since the recession due to the fact that a lot of people stopped buying new cars and decided to maintain their older/current vehicles. I feel like we are pretty secure. Even when people are spending less and cutting back, you can only go so long with bald tires or with a check engine light on. We live in a small suburb in the South so there's not kind of public transporation. People have to drive and maintain their personal vehicles.

Teachers are losing jobs, policeman are losing jobs, state workers are losing jobs, lawyers are losing jobs, cpa's are losing jobs. All these jobs a couple of years ago were considered "Secure jobs"

I'm not a teacher, I work in banking with dh in manufacturing, so far we are ok but as for teachers... in my area of Southern Indiana several schools are going to be closed to save $ which stinks:( for teachers, parents and the kids. Thanks Governor Mitch Daniels for that $100.00 a year property tax cut! I'd have kept paying it to keep 4 more Indiana schools open. With my little ones starting school in 2 years I'm definitely concerned about losing these teachers in the school closings. Sorry for the mini rant but you did ask;)

RN, nurse mgr. Secure for now. Hubby is mfg supv....secure for now.

My dh stilll has his job,it's HVAC work,so a very necessary thing,but we don't fool ourselves,NOTHING is recession proof!
We just keep our heads down and work REALLY hard,and we don't stop planning for life,but we also have it in the back of our minds at all times,we could easily lose the job,and have to alter our 'fun' plans.......

My DH does HVAC/refrigeration too and so far we are ok. I work for a national non-profit in health, so basically I pay for our benefits. We are saving every bit possible knowing nothing and no one is safe from this economy.

We both work for state government so you never know. Nothing is secure in FL right now.

DH lost his teaching job Friday. He thought he was recession proof because he taught in a detention center and he felt like there will always be offenders around. There are still youth offenders around, but they are being placed elsewhere (not in detention) to save counties money. Scary.

Lost my tiny part-time job a year ago due to the economy.

Good thing we have lots of savings and retirement money saved up.

DH is a store manager for an auto parts store. As someone else said as folks are fixing up vehicles the chain and store are doing well

I work for a bank with credit cards, ohh yea we have been busy!

Never say we are secure but we are booked on another cruise a year from now...pirate:

My Physical Therapist wife still gets calls daily from recruiters offering her sign-on bonuses, flexible hours, tons of vacation, etc. They are still in short supply in this area, along with Occupational Therapy & Speech Therapy. With the population aging they will be more and more needed ... how their salaries are impacted by this govt-run health care is still a question mark, though...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter