Do you still have your Secure/Recession proof job?

My husband is in the army and i work for a major defense contractor-and we are still fighting a war-so we will keep working.

Dh is active duty Air Force. We just moved from Italy to Texas. We were making a lot of extra money with COLA (cost of living overseas allowance), so I definitely miss that. But dh just got promoted to E7 this month.

I'm a SAHM and a full time student. Dh is two years away from completing his doctorate degree. He has just over 4 years left until retirement.

I'd say we are secure.

I'm a CNA (nurse's aide, which means I do everything the nurses at my facility don't have time or the motivation to do), and DBF is a trucker. My bosses love me, as do his, so neither of us are going anywhere.

Lots of military on here! My husband is a mobilized Army Reservist, but when his TDY is over, he'll go back to his civil service job at a Navy base. When he started there last year, he got a 17.5% raise from his previous job at a government contractor, who had given him a 30% raise from his job before that, plus a 10% bump at his 1-year anniversary. In the meantime, his Captain's salary in the Army is almost exactly the same as his civil service salary, plus we get the Housing allowance, which is quite a lot for our area.

I'm mostly a SAHM, work a few hours a week for a CPA. As long as people still have tax returns and payroll taxes to do, my job's secure. They would love it if I'd work full-time but I won't.

Working in the auto industry we were one of the first hit when the economy started to tank. Many layoffs later I still have a job (thankfully). Now while the economy is still bad in many areas the auto industry is starting to recover (very slowly but still) so today I feel semi-secure, but much more secure than last year at this time.

DW is a nurse, she is so secure its crazy.

Well, I thought we were secure since my husband is a family practice doctor and I'm a teacher (currently working for Parents As Teachers). I thought people will always be sick and children will always need to be taught so we would be okay when the recession first hit. I was wrong! My husband's practice is having a hard time making payroll so the physicians are going to reduce their salary and budget cuts have severely threatened my position. In fact, just tonight I asked my supervisor when we would know if we should start looking for another job. She said "Start looking!":scared1: Yep, it's bad here in my small town.

I work in our local/city government (after losing a job in the mortgage industry in 2008). Still have my job, but we reopened our contracts only 6 months after they had been signed and agreed to a two year wage freeze in order to ensure there are no layoffs in our department in those two years.

Hubby is in sales and survived the big layoff about 1 year ago, but there has been a fair amount of adjustments made in their company. Just got the memo today they are cutting hours (therefore pay) in the summer (although only 5%, last summer was cut by 15%).

I thought we were safe - DH works in IT in the insurance industry...He had survived a take over in 2009 and lay offs that went with it. He had asked his boss repeatedly if his job was safe. Came into work in October and was told that he and his whole department was being let go...(the week after he won the employee of the month...) 6 months later - barely a nibble ...

I teach at a small private university that's having financial problems due to the endowment fund and some other issues. In December they laid off some non-teaching personal. Haven't heard anything lately if there will be more lay-offs this summer yet.

DW is still educating the next generation, and people are still eating(I work for a regional grocery chain). We're feeling pretty blessed amidst the turbulence.

I work for a state university, and while we've had furlough days, no raises for a couple of years, and all sorts of budget cuts, positions here are still somewhat secure. We've had record enrollment the last few terms, so there's still plenty of demand for our services!

I work at a state university as a financial aid adviser. Though we've had layoffs our positions are pretty secure. We can't keep up with the requests sometimes.

DH was here at the university too in IT but was one of the layoffs Sept 08. He hasn't been able to find any work other than a seasonal job since and they let him go the day after Christmas 09.

DH & I are both still employed.

I work PT as a church secretary, so basically, my job is not very secure - it's voted on each year on the budget - and with churches around the country declining, including ours, i say it's only a matter of time before they cut hours for me, in which case i would have to leave..

DH is a state employee, and has had no raises and several furlough days so far -- but, thankfully still has a FT job. He also works PT as a church janitor.

So far, still very blessed to both be working. DH is an engineer and I am a teacher with 14 years in. The first round of budget cuts I will escape, but not so certain about next year.

I'm the CFO in a large food manufacuring company and our volume increased with the economy as more people are eating at home rather than going out. Everyone got their 2009 bonuses and we are doing annual increases this month and we're taking applications for our seasonal hiring.

My husband owns his own business and the revenue in 09 decreased about 10% but held steady after that.

I have been working as a casual for our local health care system and have been applying since may of last year to get a full time job. Been IMPOSSIBLE. I have applied for over 100 different positions and nothing. I managed to get 1 interview for which i got a second position as a casual.
I get a lot of hours. I actually make a little more than the full time staff only because I have less deductions taken off my pay cheque but it's been really stressfull not ever knowing ahead what I will have or not have.

Im hoping the new position I am training for, will offer me a full time position or even a solid part time position.

Comes to show you, even the health care system got a huge beating with the economy.

Are his initials B.O.?;)

:lmao: That's hilarious!!!!

My dh is an Episcopal priest. His job is fairly secure. Of course, his salary depends upon bringing in enough money to the church. But, he's a great fund-raiser, so I don't have worries there. Our health insurance, on the other hand, stinks now. Oh well. I'm just thankful that he's employed!!

Again we got the OT offer for Sat. this morning ~ I'll come in after my kids soccer games and put in at least 6 hours.

DH works as a Project Manager for a tile company. This company is 80 years old, and on it's 3rd generation family owned (not our family;) ). He was laid off for 8 months a few years ago, and eventually called back to work when there's work to be done - normally part time, no more bennies. He also does very little of his original job title - he does everything from laying tile to warehouse work in order to keep his job. He's had full time hours for the past 6 weeks. Prior to that, it was 15-35 hours a week depending on the jobs lined up.

I just finished school and took boards on 3/4/10. I'm a RN and work on a busy ICU stepdown unit. My job looks fairly secure, although I am low man on the totem pole, so I'd be first to go if they downsized. It looks as if they are doing okay since they are one of the last hospital systems in our area to still offer tuition reimbursement and student loan forgiveness if you sign a contract with them. We also got notice that we'll get the first raise in 3 years in January. I'm hoping for the best.

Things are still very uncertain in the metro Detroit area.

I still have my supervison job in county government. I have been here for 20 years, so am not at risk for a layoff due to seniority. I could be fired for crappy performance, but I work hard to not be a crappy worker. The field I work in though is at serious risk of layoffs due to cuts in federal and state funding. President Obamas proposed budget would give us a one year funding extension, but if that does not come through I will be looking at laying off staff. :scared:

DH has worked at a coal-fired power plant for over 20 years. He is a shift engineer in operations, and his job seems to still be safe. He is in a union position and has a lot of seniority. He works oodles of OT, which is a huge blessing to us.

So far, so good, but we never take anything for granted. We have our 6 month emergency fund to help if either of us are laid off in the future. I pray we never need to use it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter