Do you recommend Zenfolio?

10dedfish

XBOX: Mattisamus
Hey everyone,

Those who recognize my name know that I have started doing portraits and other type of photographer in the last few months. My wife and one of my coworkers, who is a graphics artist, are trying to convince me to start this as a side job/hobby, and to try and run with it.

I am thinking more and more about doing it, but was wondering about which hosting site to use. Ive done some research and am leaning more towards zenfolio. Ive heard several people comment that they have seen alot more traffic/sales on their sites since moving to zenfolio as opposed to the other sites like smugmug, etc.

If I do run with this, I plan on hosting alot my landscapes and cityscapes, as well as portrait work.

Can anyone tell me how the profit is funneled back to the owner? Do you have to setup a business account (BANK) or do they use paypal? Any information is good information at this point.

As usual, thanks in advance to everyone!

Matt

Hey everyone,

Those who recognize my name know that I have started doing portraits and other type of photographer in the last few months. My wife and one of my coworkers, who is a graphics artist, are trying to convince me to start this as a side job/hobby, and to try and run with it.

I am thinking more and more about doing it, but was wondering about which hosting site to use. Ive done some research and am leaning more towards zenfolio. Ive heard several people comment that they have seen alot more traffic/sales on their sites since moving to zenfolio as opposed to the other sites like smugmug, etc.

If I do run with this, I plan on hosting alot my landscapes and cityscapes, as well as portrait work.

Can anyone tell me how the profit is funneled back to the owner? Do you have to setup a business account (BANK) or do they use paypal? Any information is good information at this point.

As usual, thanks in advance to everyone!

Matt

you just need either a premium, or premium business account, then you can opt for payment via paypal or by check, if you choose payment by check there is a small service charge..

I have been with Zenfolio for a couple of years now. I have tried SmugMug before but I find Zen to be cleaned looking. I get my money through Paypal. I do leave money in my Zen account to pay for my next years service fee or if I want to order any prints.

I've been toying with the idea of getting an account there, simply because they use Mpix for their prints. I love the idea of selling prints when I can trust the company that does them (I LOVE mpix).

I currently have some stuff on free sites. But I haven't sold anything of note, and have never had anything printed through the services they use. So I'm a little uneasy that someone will think their print is bad, but that it's my fault. But everything I've done through mpix has came out amazing!!!!

Great.... Now that you posed this question, I have to stop being a cheap butt, and go with what my gut tells me. ;)

Well, to be quite honest, I dont really expect to sell anything. But if you never try then the answer will always be no. I hope to eventually start putting Portraits up there, and and letting the clients order thru there. Im just starting the no longer a hobby and trying to get into using it as a side job.

But your welcome for the kick in the butt :thumbsup2

Matt

Well, to be quite honest, I dont really expect to sell anything. But if you never try then the answer will always be no. I hope to eventually start putting Portraits up there, and and letting the clients order thru there. Im just starting the no longer a hobby and trying to get into using it as a side job.

But your welcome for the kick in the butt :thumbsup2

Matt

If you are going to put portraits up as a form of advertising, don't forget to get signed releases from the subjects.

Im with you all the way Manning. The only portraits I have up that are open to the public are my two daughters. I will get model releases from anyone else that I put up there.

But, Thanks for the back up. Its always helpful when someone is watching your back for you, especially when you may not know what to look for.

Anyway, the link is in my sig, under photos. Please look at it and tell me what you think.
Matt

Im with you all the way Manning. The only portraits I have up that are open to the public are my two daughters. I will get model releases from anyone else that I put up there.

But, Thanks for the back up. Its always helpful when someone is watching your back for you, especially when you may not know what to look for.

Anyway, the link is in my sig, under photos. Please look at it and tell me what you think.
Matt

looks good

if you are planning on making this a side business, you might want to change your prices so you make some profit.

I will eventually, looking into whether I need a business licence or not. Not sure of all the particulars so I'm in research mode right now. If anyone has any input, feel free to send some my way. :thumbsup2

Matt

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!