Do you need to have points banked before booking

defrogger

Earning My Ears
Hello, new to DVC, about to close on a BW contract, with any luck my membership and points will be available end of July.

When booking a room online, if banked points are needed, do you have to have those points already banked or will the online tool let you bank them right when you book?
Also if you do need to bank points ahead of time is it quick like 1 to 2 minutes or does it take a day for there system to update?

Why im asking, Im getting boardwalk 200 Points with Arpril use year, 69 points from 2020 that are banked in to 2021. 200 for 2021 and 200 for 2022.
So the 69 points i need to use by this April, from what im told it will be a challenge with everyone needing to use up all there extra points.
The 200 points from 2021 i can bank into 2022 before December.

Our plan is for a big family Trip for July 2022 in a 2 bedroom. Point chart shows that at 265 points for Standard 2 bedroom and 316 Preferred view. Im hoping for Standard, but if im a little slow and only preferred available so be it.
So ill need to bank atleast 65 points into 2022. Dont want to Borrow just yet.
So will i need to have the points banked before booking or will the online system just say, hey you need 65 points and ask if i want to bank some of my 2021 points?
Or should i have all expected points banked first before booking.

Ide prefer to only bank 65 ahead of time instead of the extra 116 needed for a preferred view, just incase there is some last minute availability for this Nov/Dec and i need the points.
But if the points need to be banked before booking then ill put all 116 just incase.

Hopefully that all made sense.
Thansk for any Input

First I’d make the 2021 UY booking with those banked 69 and whatever current points needed for that. Then bank the entire remaining 2021 points before booking that 2022 UY trip booking. (banking points is immediate online). That way that reservation will use your 2021 banked points first, leaving you the remaining 2022 points to bank into 2023 UY by November 30, 2022.

Yes, points will need to be banked from April 2021 to April 2022 for your July 2022 trip prior to making the reservation. Reservations draw points from points that will be available on tre travel dates, not current points.

If you have points available in the previous UY that are available to bank, the system will ask you if you want to bank points during the time of booking. Looks like this:

You can also bank points more than once, as long as it's before your banking deadline. So if you wanted to bank just the 69 points first to complete your booking, you can do that. And then bank any remaining 2021 points at any point prior to your banking deadline. It's pretty much an immediate transaction! No waiting period from what I've noticed.

ah, if it were me, with everything changing, when you get your points, I'd make the reservation asap and call DVC to do it. banking points has been confusing for me, plus, the first time it's always better to call IMHO as ( you will find) the Disney website is not always easy, and so on. Just my experience. If you are a computer wiz, you might night be as confused as I can get. so rather than make a mistake someone else has to help me correct, I just call DVC.

You may either bank the points while making the reservation or bank them ahead of time. So you won't have to try and guess what you need before you need them unless you want to.

For borrowing that can only be done at the time you are booking.

If you have points available in the previous UY that are available to bank, the system will ask you if you want to bank points during the time of booking. Looks like this:

View attachment 582529

You can also bank points more than once, as long as it's before your banking deadline. So if you wanted to bank just the 69 points first to complete your booking, you can do that. And then bank any remaining 2021 points at any point prior to your banking deadline. It's pretty much an immediate transaction! No waiting period from what I've noticed.
Perfect, Being able to bank while making the reservation makes things allot easier. I am going to take peoples advice and try to use those 69 points the second i get them, but my understanding is theres slim pickings out there because everyones trying to use there points they banked from the pandemic. So i might have to hound the system and be patient until something opens up.

Thanks for all the input

Perfect, Being able to bank while making the reservation makes things allot easier. I am going to take peoples advice and try to use those 69 points the second i get them, but my understanding is theres slim pickings out there because everyones trying to use there points they banked from the pandemic. So i might have to hound the system and be patient until something opens up.

Thanks for all the input

Yes, waitlist if you need to but also relentlessly stalk! Things do open up. Summer tends to be a bit of a slower time but who knows with all the backlogged points and "revenge travel". The standard 2-BR's at BWV go quickly because they are all lock-offs, and the standard studios are hot commodities. I have usually found that if you book right at the 8 AM window online, it's usually not an issue. Though if you check back an hour or two later, all the inventory will be gone. Good luck!

ah, if it were me, with everything changing, when you get your points, I'd make the reservation asap and call DVC to do it. banking points has been confusing for me, plus, the first time it's always better to call IMHO as ( you will find) the Disney website is not always easy, and so on. Just my experience. If you are a computer wiz, you might night be as confused as I can get. so rather than make a mistake someone else has to help me correct, I just call DVC.

One of the benefits of banking ahead of time is that if you are trying to get a hard to get room, extra steps during the booking process can cause you to lose a room that you think you have secured.

In these cases, I bank what I know I will need before the 11 month window opens. When booking a large group, I do not enter all the guests during booking. I get the room secured and booked first, and then modify it to add all the other guests. Every little bit helps to save time! I had the system go down once when entering all the names and lost the room so after that, I do only the lead guest in the room, leave the address as mine, and book!

One of the benefits of banking ahead of time is that if you are trying to get a hard to get room, extra steps during the booking process can cause you to lose a room that you think you have secured.

In these cases, I bank what I know I will need before the 11 month window opens. When booking a large group, I do not enter all the guests during booking. I get the room secured and booked first, and then modify it to add all the other guests. Every little bit helps to save time! I had the system go down once when entering all the names and lost the room so after that, I do only the lead guest in the room, leave the address as mine, and book!

Barring an instance like yours where the system goes down (and disregarding how that happens a bit to frequently) by the time you get to the point selection the room is being held for you and there isn't risk of losing the room.

good idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!