Do you have to wait at the red light as described in this post?

kdonnel

DVC-BCV
The GADOT has closed down a bridge near my home and chaos has ensued with the various detours needed. Traffic is a nightmare.

I have a question about one of the temporary intersections that has been created by the closure.
Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 6.34.53 PM.png

In the image above the red line represents where the GADOT has closed the road. There is a traffic light at this intersection and they have not changed the behavior in anyway.

I came up to the intersection from road A needing to make a left turn (the only way you can now turn) onto road B. The light turned red so I stopped.

I sat there until it turned green but wondered the whole time if i needed to. With the road closed there is no need for the light to even be on.

Would you stop and wait at a red light if you were on road A turning left onto road B? Would you stop before making a right turn on red from road B onto road A?

Legally, yes you do have to wait. It is no different then sitting at a red light at an intersection and there is no traffic coming at all. Still have to wait and you can be ticketed if you go before it turns green. If they want you to continue going they would shut off the signal completely. Or just keep the amber flashing.

Last edited:

Still need to wait until it turns green to make a left. Absent them doing something such as turning off the light and placing temporary stop signs, you'll need to treat it like the road was never closed.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't otherwise be safe, but as a matter of getting a citation I'd think you should wait until it turns green. And I've heard that often these are where local police will wait to see who runs a red.

I agree with others. I think by law you need to wait for the green. If you don't, there's a chance you could get a ticket. However, you're right, by practicality there's no reason to wait for the green. I just don't know how that would hold up in court if you get a ticket.

Agree with PPs. Aside from the legality of it, I would think people might get confused at the intersection considering the temporary road closure causing a new traffic pattern. I'd rather just wait and go with the light.

It is going to be a long 7 months.

My wife stopped at the light last night and the person behind her blew their horn the entire time the light was red.

I just don't understand why they don't turn off the light, cover it with a trash bag, and treat it like the 90 degree bend in the road it will be for the next 7 months

I don't know GA traffic laws, but in Massachusetts you can turn left on a red as long as that is the only direction of travel for both the lane you're in and the lane you're turning into, i.e. turning left from a one-way street onto a one-way street. This also presupposes that there is no "No Turn on Red" sign.

Can you call GADOT and make the suggestion they do something about it while the bridge is being repaired? I know you say 7 months, but I think we all know how road work goes. A road was shut down near our home for 6 YEARS because of repairs to one bridge. It was a deep backroad so just wasn't a priority to the state. It was insane.

I'd stop...but if someone behind me then beeped, I'd probably go...nervously.

I just don't understand why they don't turn off the light, cover it with a trash bag, and treat it like the 90 degree bend in the road it will be for the next 7 months

They really should!! In fact, all they really need to do is make the light blink - which is treated like a stop sign, and wouldn't get people too used to not having a light there at all.

Can you call GADOT and make the suggestion they do something about it while the bridge is being repaired?

I hate the phone, so I'd probably write, but good idea!

It is going to be a long 7 months.

My wife stopped at the light last night and the person behind her blew their horn the entire time the light was red.

(splitting the same post into several parts not because of an actual or alleged sic)

Maybe the folks living nearby will call and complain about the horn noise enough that the transportation department will come out with trash bags to cover the lights long before (and just for) the day before the grand opening of the new bridge :).

It's red, you have to stop. IMO this is no different than a red light in the middle of the night with no traffic around. It feels pointless and it's irritating, but you still have to stop.

I don't know GA traffic laws, but in Massachusetts you can turn left on a red as long as that is the only direction of travel for both the lane you're in and the lane you're turning into, i.e. turning left from a one-way street onto a one-way street. This also presupposes that there is no "No Turn on Red" sign.
In Georgia, a motorist can do a left turn after stopping at a red light only from a one-way street onto another one-way street. Of course, motorists need to follow the normal right of way rules and proceed with caution when making the turn.

Could you call the local police department (non-emergency) and ask if this intersection qualifies?

It's red, you have to stop. IMO this is no different than a red light in the middle of the night with no traffic around. It feels pointless and it's irritating, but you still have to stop.
Agreed, as long as the red light is there, you have to stop, but you might be able to left turn before it is green.

I'd probably just stop and then proceed if it's safe whether the light changed or not. I'd hope for an understanding police officer if I ever got caught.

I’d stop at A to B and wait..you never know what dunderhead is going to try and go straight for whatever reason.

For B going to A, I’d stop, do a look around, and then continue turning right.

Last edited:
This is true in Pennsylvania as well. I can turn left on red if I am turning from a oneway street onto another oneway street.

But in this instance, since road B and road A aren't normally oneway, I would wait for the light.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter