Do you feel guilty leaving the kids at home?

I would definitely not go to WDW without my kids.

As a child, our family traveled to WDW often. My parents went on trips without us, but not to WDW. I can’t imagine how I would have felt as a child if my parents had gone to my absolute favorite place without me, before I was really old enough to understand why they chose to go there without me.

If WDW is important to the child, I personally would not go without him.

Only you really know yourself and your child. My cousin and I dreamed for years of a 'girls only' trip and finally made it happen. What neither of us considered was the guilt she might feel leaving her children at home and the guilt was real. At the time I didn't have a child and honestly I couldn't really understand but now on this side of being a parent, I understand 100%! Personally I wouldn't enjoy myself knowing I'd left my child at home as much as I would if she was with me.

It's completely up to you and only you really know how you might feel. Some people can go and thoroughly enjoy themselves, others spend the trip constantly considering how much their child(ren) would enjoy what they're doing and feeling the guilt. Both are real and honest. Only you can guess how you might feel.

My daughter is 11 and has been to Disney more than 20 times. Could I go now and enjoy it without her? No. But, that's just me. You might be different.
I took my daughter many times to both WDW and DLRP and when she was around 16 I started thinking about when she'd decide she didn't want to go with me anymore and I got upset at the thought of going without her and thought my trips would end as I could never go on my own. Two years later we were booked and then she decided she didn't want to go, I decided to go alone. On the drive to the airport (a 6 hour drive) I waited to get upset, nope. At the hotel overnight before the flight, I called her to let her know I got there safely and I expected to get upset, nope. At the airport and getting on the plane alone, didn't get sad. On the flight, chilled and relaxed, but, thought that I had to get upset at some point during the 17 days at being at WDW on my own, surely as having her along with me had always been so important. Guess what? I had the best trip ever. We are so programmed about Disney being for kids that we think we cannot possibly enjoy it without them and that is simply not true.

I find it sad the negative comments about not taking your kids to Disney while you go. In a world where children are abused, neglected and treated horribly you think parents taking a short trip to Disney on their own is being cruel to their child? Have any of you seen the story reported this week of the little boy rescued by a waitress at Mr Potato in Orlando?
If your child has loving grandparents or aunts and uncles who would love to have their grandchild. nephew/niece stay with them and spoil them rotten without Mom and Dad telling them not to so Mom and Dad can have a couple days to themselves then what's the problem?

Not a parent, but my mom and dad would take many trips without me and my siblings at that age.

Honestly, they never told us where they went. We always ended up spending time with grandma and grandpa (they had a pool!) so for us it was like a vacation, too.

Should you feel guilty? No! But if you do, that’s okay, too. You are not a bad parent or person for going to WDW without your son. And you are not a bad person if you do not feel guilty either.

You taking your son to WDW multiple times in his childhood is way more than the vast majority of kids ever get in their whole life, even as they grow into adults.

I keep telling myself that it would be so cool, but knowing my own personality I would worry the whole time and feel bad. We also don't have that sort of babysitting availability. If they were older kids, maybe. HOWEVER, that's a really personal decision. Only you know your personality and your relationship with your kid. We can only just give you our personal opinions. Probably if you are asking, you already know how you feel.

You could also do an "adult" part of the trip and use the Disney babysitting service for a night or day. I don't know if it's still going on with Covid. Chances are no.

p.s. how often do you go as a family? I didn't go on many big vacations as a kid so it would be odd if my parents went without me. That's what I mean about personal. Just do what feels good for you. :love:

We went alone a few years ago for a long weekend for our 10th anniversary. Our 3 children stayed home and my parents came into town to stay at our house with them.

No I do not feel guilty. They've been to WDW twice so far (and maybe again next year) which is more than a huge portion of the US population gets to go, and we didn't say where we were going other than a trip to Florida so they didn't know anyway. They were totally fine. They aren't deprived and get to do a LOT more trips and things than I did at their age -- we do a lot of long weekend trips to various destinations, Outer Banks many many times, camping several times a year, indoor water parks, etc. My husband and I had some great alone time and reminisced about our very first trip together when we were dating, which was also WDW. And my kids got to spend quality time with grandparents that they don't see a lot.

We'll be fully vaccinated in a few weeks, and my husband wanted to leave our kids with the grandparents and go to Disney. I told him no, not because I think it's wrong, but because I know I would spend the whole trip wishing they were there doing the things they love with us and I wouldn't have fun. So we're going to have to keep bringing them along for awhile.

It's such a personal choice. You do what feels right to you. Will feeling guilty about going without your son make the trip less enjoyable? If so, then that's something to consider. I can absolutely see both sides, but how you're all going to feel in your own family is all that matters. Hugs!

I never felt guilty. I would go solo. Husband would be at home with the kids. I started going solo when my kids were old enough to stay home alone after school.

I still call these trips my mental health trips even though my kids are grown up and my husband joins me over the weekend portion. LOL

I am the same way. I have been going solo since my kids were about 7 & 8. At that point, they had been going every year since they were 1 & 2 plus a couple of Disney cruises. I feel ZERO guilt, why should I? Not only is it not cruel, but it's a great life lesson that Mom and Dad's lives do not only revolve around them and that we are all individuals. We have our own things that we like to do without them. I only worked part time when they were growing up and was always home when they were. News flash, they are not traumatized or resentful in any way. In fact, they have grown up to appreciate people's individuality and know that, just because you are a family, it doesn't mean that you are no longer your own person. People that try to make you feel guilty or say you are a bad parent are just projecting their own problems on you.

I would definitely not go to WDW without my kids.

As a child, our family traveled to WDW often. My parents went on trips without us, but not to WDW. I can’t imagine how I would have felt as a child if my parents had gone to my absolute favorite place without me, before I was really old enough to understand why they chose to go there without me.

If WDW is important to the child, I personally would not go without him.

That’s where I lean

Ditch the kids! Actually this just came up in another thread. My thought was, if Disney is your would be “Vegas trip”, and you don’t deprive the kids of going as many times as you would normally take them, then I think you can justify it. It would be hard for me. I’d wrestle with a little guilt (mostly caused by reading the posts on this thread) jk. But heck, I have fantasized about going by myself for a week. Without my 3 kids or spouse. Now, I love my family dearly and we go frequently, but it would be a different trip. It would have a tranquil, peaceful, almost therapeutic quality to it. I think some of you can dig it.

Last edited:
No we would not feel guilty because we would never go without them. Since we have almost 40 trips, I know for a fact we would do something or see something at the parks and the first thing we would say would be, Oh, our DD's would have loved this or that etc. We have been to WDW a few times before we had our DD's and, for us, the trips with our DD's are much more fun. Plus, time goes by so fast that once they have their own lives we will have time then. Also' for adult trips we would rather go to other places..

Add on: Also, why does it matter what I think or anyone else? DO what you want to do, I know I would:)

Last edited:
Some of these responses! 😆 My husband and I leave tomorrow for our first kid-free trip to WDW, so the timing of this thread is perfect. We’re celebrating our 10 year anniversary and my husband’s 40th birthday. We have 0% guilt. We told our kids (7 and 9) about it a while ago and they truly could not care less, because 1, we’ve gone on other trips without them before so this isn’t a weird thing, 2, they don’t want to go now while there’s no meet & greets, fireworks, and parades, and 3, they know we’ll buy them stuff while we’re there.

After the garbage year we’ve all had, I can’t wait to just sit and people watch at Epcot with a cocktail and something from the France bakery with no responsibilities.

It’s a couple days away to a theme park, it’s not like you’re leaving them at an orphanage. Enjoy!

Not at all! Some couples enjoy Vegas, Cabo or ski trips each year and don't feel guilty about leaving the kids at home. My Husband and I prefer to spend our couples getaways at WDW or DCL. Disney is our happy place and it's a whole other world on those kid free couples vacations. We sleep in if we choose, go to shows that the children would complained about interfering with their ride time, enjoy better restaurants and basically come back recharged and in a better place as a committed partnership when we take time for us. It must be working because we just celebrated our 25th anniversary which should have been celebrated with a alone trip on a DCL cruise ,dang Covid!

Our children grew up knowing that Mom and Dad get to have grow up time alone from time to time. I never fretted over if that bothered them or not. The majority of the time the children's needs took the forefront of our time and attention in our home. They were loved and well taken care of. Personally, we felt it was good for them to understand that their parents, on occasion, get to take some time to focus on their marriage. Did the fact that our go to choice get away destination at the Mouse house provoke some "not fair whining and maybe a few tears?" Yep, we have had a few of those moments, but they always knew that family trips to Disney would eventually happen and these trips were for Mom and Dad only. They didn't always like it in the moment but they got over it while enjoying their week with their Grandparents or their cool Aunt who spoiled them rotten.

So go, enjoy your kid free time! If guilt starts to invade your mind block it out by reminding yourself of the countless hours you have poured into your 8 year old boy and the many more you will as he grows up. Its okay, actually its necessary, to go to your happy place too recharge on occasion. It makes us better parents and our relationships with partners stronger. Ultimately, that benefits our children.

Last edited:
No guilt whatsoever! We have 5 kids, have been married 33 years and have gone to Disney without the kids that live at home 3 or four times, once to Disneyland, and one Disney cruise without them. We like to celebrate our anniversary at Disney and the cruise was for our anniversary. The first trip we took after we got married was to Disney World before we had kids, so it is just our preferred vacation spot. We finally bought DVC last year. Our first trip without the kids was when we only had four and they ranged in ages from 5 to 9. We have also taken many trip with the kids, at first every three years or so after we saved enough money, then yearly or more. They all still love Disney trips, with the oldest four traveling together to DLP a couple years ago and one daughter traveling to Tokyo Disney. Two of our kids worked in the Disney college program, and one daughter is still working at the company as a leader. They never complained when we went without them. Our marriage is the foundation our family was built on, and having fun together helps keep it strong. Our youngest daughter is now a senior in high school planning to start college in the fall. We have a graduation trip planned with her for May and a couple's trip for next November. I wish everyone on this thread happy vacations however you choose to have them and many years of Disney fun!

Some of these responses! 😆 My husband and I leave tomorrow for our first kid-free trip to WDW, so the timing of this thread is perfect. We’re celebrating our 10 year anniversary and my husband’s 40th birthday. We have 0% guilt. We told our kids (7 and 9) about it a while ago and they truly could not care less, because 1, we’ve gone on other trips without them before so this isn’t a weird thing, 2, they don’t want to go now while there’s no meet & greets, fireworks, and parades, and 3, they know we’ll buy them stuff while we’re there.

After the garbage year we’ve all had, I can’t wait to just sit and people watch at Epcot with a cocktail and something from the France bakery with no responsibilities.

It’s a couple days away to a theme park, it’s not like you’re leaving them at an orphanage. Enjoy!

Wait... so it's wrong to leave them at an orphanage? I need to cancel the appointment...

No. Guilt. We have adult trips and family trips to all kinds of places. Just because it's WDW doesn't mean you have to take your kid.

We have our 1st adults only trip booked mid May for my birthday/our anniversary and I am definitely feeling the guilt, but not enough where I'm thinking about canceling! My son is about your sons age (7) and my daughter will be 4 by the time we go. They have already been twice and we'll be going again in Dec, which they aren't aware of yet. Yes they're at the perfect age, but my husband and I haven't had a date night in well over a year, we've been (whole family) to a restaurant once since last March. Momma needs a break and yes we could go somewhere else, but I know Disney is taking precautions that I don't know other places would take.

For now they only know Mommy and Daddy are going away and their Aunt is going to stay with them, which they're super excited for. I will probably try and not tell them at all or at least not until we're home. Disney is my happy place as much if not more than it is my kids. I say go and enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!