Do I rent or bring my own stroller???

BigRed7399

Want to Live in Disney
Help,

I so don't know what to do. We are going to Disney :cheer2: 2/23 to 2/29 with a 6year old and a 21month old in a leg cast. I have a pretty nice umbrella stroller (not the real cheap ones). Should I bring my own stroller for the parks or should I rent one. One friend told me to rent a double so the 6 year old can use it when needed. I think thats a good idea, but it is dumb to spend almost 100 dollars on a stroller when I own one?? Please give me advice. :worship:

if you're flying, how are you getting 2 kids on a plane - carrying them on each hip???? It might be easier to bring your own. if you're driving, then it's cheaper & probably just as easy (if you have the storage room) to bring your own too.

the down side is getting on/off the buses with them (assuming you're using the shuttle buses to get around). If you rent one from Disney, will you need one when you're outside the parks (i.e., at the resorts)?

personally, I wish someone would start a stroller swap on the boards!

I'm sorry to say that I have no advice for the original poster, but this topic does bring to mind one of the minor choices/arguments that DH and I are trying to make.
He wants to buy (or rent) a double stroller for our 8 and 3 year olds to use. We already HAVE a stroller for the toddler and I argue that our 8 year old can handle the exercise (also, to be honest, if we decided to buy a new stroller, I'd really like it to be one that we could use later at home-I really don't like our current one anymore). But I wonder...
am I just not getting how tiring these parks can be and would it be better for all of us and especially my 8 year old if I just followed my sweeties advice and looked into a double ride? I mean, they're expensive and strike me as a bit silly at this point, but if it made the trip much easier/more fun than it might be worth it.
If anyone has any opinions, I'd love to read them.
Thanks So Much IA

PS I don't know if it matters, but my 8 year old is a skinny girl. She's average height, but is tiny in waist, etc, so I imagine she'd fit in at least some options? Dont' know for certain...and, of course, that would effect things.

Once my kids are 5 (or almost 5) we make them walk LOL... My son has walked since he was 4.5 and we never had a problem, this was our first year without a stroller at all and my daughter is almost 5. She did fine and we did three parks with LOTS of walking. She was tired by the time we went home but she never complained.

We always brought our nice higher end umbrella stroller. That worked nicely for us. As long as it folds easily to get on and off the trams/monorail etc they work great. And I think it's nicer to have your own if you do things other than disney if that makes sense. So, I'd lean toward bringing your own.

I'm sorry to say that I have no advice for the original poster, but this topic does bring to mind one of the minor choices/arguments that DH and I are trying to make.
He wants to buy (or rent) a double stroller for our 8 and 3 year olds to use. We already HAVE a stroller for the toddler and I argue that our 8 year old can handle the exercise (also, to be honest, if we decided to buy a new stroller, I'd really like it to be one that we could use later at home-I really don't like our current one anymore). But I wonder...
am I just not getting how tiring these parks can be and would it be better for all of us and especially my 8 year old if I just followed my sweeties advice and looked into a double ride? I mean, they're expensive and strike me as a bit silly at this point, but if it made the trip much easier/more fun than it might be worth it.
Thanks So Much IA

PS I don't know if it matters, but my 8 year old is a skinny girl. She's average height, but is tiny in waist, etc, so I imagine she'd fit in at least some options? Dont' know for certain...and, of course, that would effect things.

Bring yours. If you ned to rent for a day or an afternoon, do so then.

We always bring a stroller for my nephew. We went last month for his 4th birthday and were glad we had use of the stroller while walking to the monorail, buses, and around the Poly. And if you're flying, a stroller is just heaven at the airport. We knew where my nephew was at all times and when he fell asleep, no one had to worry about carrying him and bags!

We have the Maclaren Techno XT and LOVE it. It came with its own rain cover that snaps onto the stroller. This is great for the summer storms. It kept him completely dry last summer. There is also the double stroller variety.

You may want to consider bringing a stroller for the 3 year old and renting one for the 8 year old. A double stroller when you have an 8 yr old may not be so practical at home.

We bring one stroller for our 3 year old, and then decide on a day-by-day basis whether the 5 year old needs one. This is what we did last year (ages 2 & 4), and it worked out great. My son, who was 4 at the time, did not need one until probably 1PM in the afternoon...well on some days we had gone home by then for lunch and a nap, and by the time we came back in the evening he was back in full running mode. There were a couple of days where we were in the park from 9am to 4pm, and for those we rented a stroller around noon. Other days we only went to the park around 4pm for a dinner reservation followed by evening touring, and didn't need one on those days either. But having our own to walk to/from the car and at the airport was an absolute godsend.

I would definately bring your stroller. We made the mistake of not bringing one on our last trip when the kids were 3 and 1 and regretted it. The disney double strollers are great, it's nothing against them, but we found we really needed a stroller outside of the parks after a long day. Carrying 2 small, sometimes sleeping children, after walking around the parks all day was no fun. This time we are opting to bring a single and to rent a single when we get there.

We have always rented a stroller--DS was 3, 4, 5, and 7 on our trips. Although he is active and slim, he would whine and get tired so it was just easier to have it--made the trip more enjoyable for everyone!

Although, this last time was the first trip for DD2. I rented from A Baby's Best Friend because we were staying at Beach Club and I knew we would walk to MGM and to the back of EPCOT so it was nice to have a stroller (wouldn't have been able to do those walking).

On the days we used the BBF stroller we didn't get one for my DS and he was OK, but I wouldn't do that for a whole week. Ends up that my DD got sick and we were really thankful to have the "real" stroller. She could lay down and be comfortable. We have never been fans of taking the stroller on the buses, that's mostly the reason we rented. It is a pain, for you and for people around you. One night my husband took my DD back to the hotel and DS and I stayed in MK. He had to have the stroller plus DD, not easy sinnce she wanted to be carried.

So, I really do go back and forth on this issue, probably not much help, but maybe gabe you some things to think about. Every kid is different. I know my son wouldn't have made it all week without a stroller for some of the days, and we would have been miserable!

rent !! We do a multi day rental right off the bat so we save money and time. We get a double. It is nice to have it for the kids to obviously ride in but also we hang our bag from the handle when we are walking to save our backs/shoulders. The kids love these strollers. One tip I have....bring a small towel with you for the kids to sit on if it is a very hot day....the plastic can get very warm. We would have the kids sit on the towel and if it was really hot we would actually wet the towel for them with our misting fans ;0

To the OP I would absolutely bring your own stroller for your youngest. I assume he's not walking much if he's in a cast. The walk from buses to park entrance would get pretty long carrying a 23 month old and can he stand for long waiting for the bus in his cast?

You can rent a single for the 6 year old when/if needed. It is about $10/day for a single vs something like $18 for a double.

Thanks So Much IA

I have 3 kids that are now 5, 7 and 8. I've had 6 strollers.:rolleyes1 I was never all that happy with either the Graco duo glider-heavy & big or the MacLaren Rally Twin-not as heavy but still heavy and not as big but still big. I would NOT buy a double stroller for your trip. I did however just buy a new MacLaren Volo for a trip with just me and 5 year old. I just know she can't keep up all day without a stroller and the volo was considerably lighter than any other stroller I had and has a carry strap so I can handle my DD and the stroller alone on the bus. I got a great deal on a 2007 model that came with the rain cover for $79. Rental would have been about $60 for 7 days and we are all going as a family in August for 15 days.

I know we can't let our kids live in a bubble and they do need to touch all sorts of germs(its life) but whenever as parents we can PREVENT them from touching things that are full of germs this is it.The strollers that Disney rent are some of the most disgusting things I have ever seen.Who knows when these things are wiped down with some kind of cleaner.If you care about your child BRING YOUR OWN.The people who tell you different don't know what they are talking about.Prove me wrong.I don't think so! :cool2:

This seems to be a 50/50 split based on the boards I have read. We like to rent a stroller and still plan to do it for our 5 year old this year. It saves us for dealing with it getting to and from the park. It is also nice because there may be certain times of the day that we dont want a stroller and can just return it to pick anothe up later. For this lessened hastle I will rent.

We always bring a stroller because we like to load a twelve pack cooler with iced down water bottles in the bottom basket. It's a great way to beat the heat without having to pay $4 for a bottle of water. By the way, does anyone know of a good stroller (brand and model) that will accomodate a big kid (5 yr old about 50lbs). This is one of the few loose ends I need to tie up before our June trip?

wow this is great, spent last night discussing this same topic with DW and we had no idea if we should bring ours, rent there. But after this topic thing I'll be buying a Lightweight, easy to fold stroller and just take it along for my DD 2yrs old... now to find a nice stroller for cheap :)

I say brinyour umbrella stroller, i can fold mine down without hands when getting on busses, trams and trains, so it is super-convenient for theme park use.
The major issue with the youngest in the cast especially, if you only rent one, you will be carrying him from the park gate to the bus, and from the bus back to your room (and believe me, if you get the wrong room, that can be quite a hike!) I think with one that young, and in a cast to boot, you will want a stroller for the resort.
On our last WDW trip, we had DD in her umbrella, and then a double for the olders, who were 3 and 4.
Have fun!

... But I wonder...
am I just not getting how tiring these parks can be and would it be better for all of us and especially my 8 year old if I just followed my sweeties advice and looked into a double ride?

you might want to read this thread that I authored re a 5-1/2 yr old being too tired to walk (at home, down the street, across the yard, etc.) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1717523

We always bring a stroller because we like to load a twelve pack cooler with iced down water bottles in the bottom basket. It's a great way to beat the heat without having to pay $4 for a bottle of water. By the way, does anyone know of a good stroller (brand and model) that will accomodate a big kid (5 yr old about 50lbs). This is one of the few loose ends I need to tie up before our June trip?

I bought a MacLaren Volo from babye-store.com for $79.99 but now they actually have it for 74.99 with free shipping. I was reluctant to buy from a place I had never heard of but it was considerably cheaper than elsewhere and it was a 2007 model that comes with a raincover. The 08 doesn't include the rain cover. I won't worry too much about the extra $5 I paid as the color I got is no longer available.

The MacLarens are rated to 55 pounds but the bottom basket says that the limit is something like 4 pounds.

I already had an older MacLaren but this one was a few pounds lighter and has a carry strap. The seat is also bigger on the Volo than my 2001 MacLaren. The seat back on the Volo is mesh and the back of the sun shade rolls up for a cooler ride.

ETA: Forgot to say the stroller came right away and was exactly as advertised.

A neat thing we learned during our 2006 trip was that there are usually some strollers available at the resort luggage services. Luggage svc's told us many people buy strollers on their vaca and then leave them. Disney donates many of the strollers to charity but keeps some in luggage services. We rent the park strollers because they are so large, rugged and convenient so for us the cost is worth it. On our last 2 trips we also started using the 'free' stroller from luggage services to go from the room to the bus in the AM and then the bus to the room in the PM. We would keep the stroller in our room at night and check it in under our name before getting on the bus in the morning and then check it out when we return at the end of the day. We love this for the convenience of not wrestling with strollers on the bus. In 2007 we had friends with us who also used the free stroller from luggage services at the parks. Hope this is helpful to fellow Disney fanatics.

Our children are DS2 and DS7. We rent the double stroller and it gets plenty of use by both. Usually DS7 will sit in it when he is ready for a nap.

Thanks So Much IA

Our DS's are currently 2&7 and will be 3&8 on our next trip. I highly recommend a double stroller rental at the park for the benefit of both children. Trust me, the 8 yr. old will crawl into it for a break here and there and will likely nod off for a nap. look at my free stroller response in this thread as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!