Do I really need a Magic Band?

AustinTink

DIS Veteran
Hi- I’m planning our fall trip to WDW. We haven’t been since before Magic Bands came out. We go to DLR every year and have never needed a Magic Band. Are they a must for WDW? Can’t you just tap your Key to the World card everywhere?

We all wear Apple Watches. I don’t want to wear something on each wrist all day in the heat.

You don’t need one but imo it’s easier just tapping your wrist a bunch of times s day than digging out your card. And then you’d have to tap your ride pics at the exit if you’re buying them or have memory maker, whereas with the band they go to your account automatically. But it’s perfectly fine just using your card.

You don’t need one but imo it’s easier just tapping your wrist a bunch of times s day than digging out your card. And then you’d have to tap your ride pics at the exit if you’re buying them or have memory maker, whereas with the band they go to your account automatically. But it’s perfectly fine just using your card.
Do most people use magic bands or do you see a good percentage using cards?

At WDW, a Magicband is pretty crucial.

Do they even give out keys to the world cards anymore? Seems like they want you to use your app for everything now. We are going to WDW i ln July and our hotel reservation already says we should skip the front desk and go straight to our room upon arrival, using the app to unlock the door.

We don't have magic bands yet, but we will be purchasing them soon.

At Disneyland they don't work for making purchases or unlocking room doors, but they do those things at WDW, so worth it there.

Do you plan on purchasing genie+ or photo pass? If your answer is yes to either, I would get the magic bands. If your answer is no then I wouldn’t bother.
Yes we always purchase genie+ and photo pass at DLR so I’m sure we will at WDW.

I love genie+ and ILL. I’m assuming they are the same at WDW.

Just FYI, if you don’t want to wear something on each wrist you can get a magic band puck holder on Etsy and remove the puck from your magic band and wear it on your watch band. That’s what I do.
This I could do. The puck just adheres to the watch band with the holder?

Magic Mobile basically turns your Apple Watch into a MB so no it's not at all necessary to buy one. I have used my watch to tap into the parks. The only thing it won't let you do is open your resort room, you'll need to pull out your phone for that.

I will say that MM is much glitchier than just using a MB though. There are noticeable lag hiccups when tapping in with the watch compared to tapping in with a MB. And I have literally never gotten the room unlock to work. For these reasons and others I just end up wearing a MB on my other wrist. I don't like the puck holders because I like the MB designs and have a large collection that I coordinate with my outfits. But they are an option a lot of people like to use and are widely available on Etsy.

I use my Apple watch, it syncs to wallet. It's a little fussy to flip between myself and my kid. I don't have a problem using it for LL and after hours, except that I have two people on it. If I had one, it would be a lot easier.

BUT you don't get the ride photos. I'd consider buying at least one new MB to get the ride photos. I would imagine if you get the new rechargeable one it will work at DL too. Just leave it in your pocket until you're on the ride.

Also you can't play the Bounty Hunters game in Galaxy's Edge without a Magicband+. Not sure if that's something you're interested in or not but it's something to note.

I thought DLR was starting to roll out Magicband+ there now anyway? Will the same band not work at both resorts?

Also you can't play the Bounty Hunters game in Galaxy's Edge without a Magicband+. Not sure if that's something you're interested in or not but it's something to note.

I thought DLR was starting to roll out Magicband+ there now anyway? Will the same band not work at both resorts?
It wasn’t a thing at DLR last summer when we went but probably is by now.

There are many ride photos that you won't see without a MB. Haunted mansion, GOTG, Snow white. There is nothing to tap. You'll never see them at all.

Sure, you can tap at a couple rides, like ToT.
Wow! I didn’t know that. So do they not have screens to see your ride photos anymore at WDW? We used to just take a photo of the number on the screen and grab them later.

Hi- I’m planning our fall trip to WDW. We haven’t been since before Magic Bands came out. We go to DLR every year and have never needed a Magic Band. Are they a must for WDW? Can’t you just tap your Key to the World card everywhere?

We all wear Apple Watches. I don’t want to wear something on each wrist all day in the heat.
You don't need one. But as someone with young children it makes life so much easier. Scanning 4 tickets from your iphone takes much longer and is much more cumbersome. If you order them through the app before your trip you can get the plain jane ones for like 20-25 bucks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter