Do Disney travel agents get you better deals??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a 55% discount at the Poly. Much bigger discount than other travel agents were offering. I don't understand though why all the large travel agents don't do the group bookings that would allow them to sell the rooms at a huge discount. I find it very hard to believe that Disney only lets one travel agent sell the rooms at such a large discount. Doesn't seem fair in my opinion.

Could you PM me your TA?

I think it's because the focus on Disboards is usually on deals offered by Disney - like FD - but they may not be the best deal out there. The purpose of my post was to give a little bit of info about how if you are flexible with dates, resorts, tickets and don't necessarily need the DDP, you may be able to do much better. But, if you come in thinking I need to stay at AoA, and I need a particular room category, and I need the dining plan, and I may want to upgrade my ticket onsite, well then, this agency won't save you a penny since its convention rates are very specific.

Can you please PM me the agency info? I tried searching for them online, but didn't find anything :(

It depends on the agent. Disney's prices are all the same. No extra discounts. promo codes, or coupons for anyone. The difference when using an agent is Disney will give the agent 10% commission for booking the trip. Booking through an agent is no different than booking through D Travel Co. You still have complete control over your reservation.

So....a good agent, like myself :), will give a large portion of the commission, back to the client as an extra discount. A trip costing $2500, agent gets $250, but takes off $200 the price of the trip and still collects $50 for booking it. Win-Win. But sadly.....its hard to compete with the big agencies because not only can they do that, but they book a lot of rooms for the same weeks (days), they can get a group rate in there too. You will never know when you are traveling, but you are really in a group with Mary Jones and her family, and Fred Smith with his grandkids!

So....even though I am a small home based TA, I am all about getting the best deal possible, and I recommend going through a large online agent if you want the lowest price possible. If you want personalized attention and have lots of questions and need help with your reservations, book through a small agency.

Disney1975.... What I don't understand is why the other big travel agencies don't offer the same deals like the agent that we aren't allowed to mention here. It doesn't seem like rocket science to me. If they book tons of room too it doesn't seem like it is that risky for them either.

Disney1975.... What I don't understand is why the other big travel agencies don't offer the same deals like the agent that we aren't allowed to mention here. It doesn't seem like rocket science to me. If they book tons of room too it doesn't seem like it is that risky for them either.
I agree.

It depends on the agent. Disney's prices are all the same. No extra discounts. promo codes, or coupons for anyone. The difference when using an agent is Disney will give the agent 10% commission for booking the trip. Booking through an agent is no different than booking through D Travel Co. You still have complete control over your reservation.

So....a good agent, like myself :), will give a large portion of the commission, back to the client as an extra discount. A trip costing $2500, agent gets $250, but takes off $200 the price of the trip and still collects $50 for booking it. Win-Win. But sadly.....its hard to compete with the big agencies because not only can they do that, but they book a lot of rooms for the same weeks (days), they can get a group rate in there too. You will never know when you are traveling, but you are really in a group with Mary Jones and her family, and Fred Smith with his grandkids!

So....even though I am a small home based TA, I am all about getting the best deal possible, and I recommend going through a large online agent if you want the lowest price possible. If you want personalized attention and have lots of questions and need help with your reservations, book through a small agency.
Well said.

Been using said agency for four years now and have no problems using them. They will give you as much or as little assistance with your planning as you want. I am a control freak and would much rather handle my own reservations but for the price, we find it's worth it.

At this point, it comes down to commissions. Both agencies are giving you a group rate, while it seems like the non mentionable agency is also giving you a chunk of their commission as well.

Makes sense.

Poly vacation $4500
Group Rate is $4000.
Commission is $400

Non mentionable gives back say $200 of their commission, making the price $3800. They now make $200 and because its such an awesome deal, they get tons and tons of bookings at $200 each, and become super popular on a particular Disney forum with millions of views!

Other agency gets 1/8 the bookings (still alot) at $400 each and doesnt make as much money. BUT..the other agency also deals with all sorts of land vacations and cruises, it doesnt matter to them Non mentionable only deals with Disney vacations...so they have to be the best.

At this point, it comes down to commissions. Both agencies are giving you a group rate, while it seems like the non mentionable agency is also giving you a chunk of their commission as well.

Makes sense.

Poly vacation $4500
Group Rate is $4000.
Commission is $400

Non mentionable gives back say $200 of their commission, making the price $3800. They now make $200 and because its such an awesome deal, they get tons and tons of bookings at $200 each, and become super popular on a particular Disney forum with millions of views!

Other agency gets 1/8 the bookings (still alot) at $400 each and doesnt make as much money. BUT..the other agency also deals with all sorts of land vacations and cruises, it doesnt matter to them Non mentionable only deals with Disney vacations...so they have to be the best.

This isn't correct. The agency is not giving back any commission. Group room rates are negotiated with the groups dept. It has nothing to do with commissions.

This isn't correct. The agency is not giving back any commission. Group room rates are negotiated with the groups dept. It has nothing to do with commissions.

Im not saying that is exactly what they are doing, Im just stating that is a possible reason why some are priced differently. It is absolutely correct that some agencies give part of their commission as an extra discount / incentive to book with them. How can anyone complete with D Travel Co. if the prices were all the same across the board? You cant.

I admire you Disney 1975 for what you do, but I have to disagree that giving back a huge part of your commission is what makes you a good agent. I bet that it is your knowledge and expertise and helpfulness that makes you a good agent. My closest friend is a home based agent. She spends countless hours helping with dining, fastpasses, resort choice, etc. She gives goodies to clients with their documents that she purchases with her own money. Giving back a huge part of the commission is not necessarily good business. She doesn't have trouble getting clients, so she must be doing something right. Why should she not earn a decent wage for her work? I am not trying to "argue" with you, I just think home based agents should be paid their worth.

Hey all. Been reading through did the Search and I think I may have found ta that shall not be name but can someone pm me just so I can confirm. I would really appreciate

Is the cancellation policy the same when you book through a travel agency as through Disney?

It depends on the what type of room booking it is. If it's a regular booking then it follows Disney's cancellation terms. However, the agency with the good deals being talked about here all the time usually has group rooms that they are selling. Because of that, packages and room only reservations require a $200 deposit and the balance is due 45 days before check in.

I just booked a standard view room at Beach Club over Princess 1/2 marathon weekend. Prices are jacked up for that time and the rate I got was better than a Passholder rate. My dates are 2/23-2/27 and I was quoted $1471. It's my 40th birthday the weekend before the races so I'm treating myself!!!

I was also quoted:

Poly Standard View $1791
Contemporary Garden Wing $1353
POR Standard View $770 (this is a great price and I almost booked it, but hey...it's my 40th!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter