Do CM really care about who gets the purchase discount?

condorthb

Peter, we need to talk about your TPS reports.
Every time I was asked if I had dvc I would say “Yes, but not the good version.”

They would laugh and then give the discount.

I never stated I qualified nor did they ask to see the DVC Y.

I’ve say I have ap, visa,dvc. Which is easiest? Seems CC is.
Then they say about checking etc.

i think they do and most often I am now asked if I have discounts, not if I am DVC. . I have been there when CMs have explained what was needed and heard a manager telling a CM they need to be sure to check for the correct designation.

And, I had a white card membership and tried, just to see if it would work, I was denied. And, I am always asked to show the DVC Y.

Every time I was asked if I had dvc I would say “Yes, but not the good version.”

They would laugh and then give the discount.

I don't think I've ever specifically been asked about DVC only, as there are multiple potential discounts. The typical question we get is "any discounts?" Could be DVC, AP, D23 and so on. We then ask which one is best of all the ones we have. They usually ask to see proof, probably 90% of the time I'd estimate.

Our experience back in early April was similar to @condorthb's - I'm pretty sure we were always asked if we were DVC. We're not direct members and would reply back with a similar response, and had a similar outcome. But that said, we didn't do a ton of shopping, and half the time we weren't asked anything (so, of course, we didn't ask for a discount).

They should ask if you have any discounts instead of asking if you're DVC, which sounds like others have/are experiencing... and per @Sandisw, it sounds like there's there's some active training going on around this... which is a good thing.

Do CM's care? I suspect if they are trained to differentiate, then sure they care - most people want to do their job well. The experience we had in April led me to believe they weren't trained to differentiate. The question I had was does Disney really care (i.e. do they lose money or make more money when someone is getting a discount)?

With restaurants we have had to show we are DVC most of the time sometimes ID was asked for. Shopping we have always had to show the DVC card/app and ID.

At Goofy's Candy store in DS I was asked to show my ID (they had already seen my DVC-Y) and I realized my wallet was in our stroller with my husband (not in the store) - the CM refused to give me the discount without my ID.

Our experience this spring was the same as Anthony 1971. Had to show the DVC Y.
Ditto for us, too. It's not 100% of the time, but it's almost all the time we need to verify our discount - and even an id now and then - especially when buying merchandise. However, the couple times we found we weren't asked to verify were in the restaurants. We don't know for sure, but thought perhaps it could have to do with additional tipping if the discount was taken from the bill without a fuss!

Nov 2022 I had to show the DVC-Y at all the character meals we went to.

one asked for an ID, two did not.

Trips in 2015/2017 we were asked if we had DVC.

Ever since the resale restrictions were introduced we are now asked "Any discounts?" and asked to show digital card at checkout.

I sometimes wonder about that too. I've asked CMs "Do you want to see my card for the discount?" and they often just wave their hand and say "You look honest" or something like that. However, I did have one CM say "If anyone asks, say I looked at it-we're supposed to ask to see it".

Our experience back in early April was similar to @condorthb's - I'm pretty sure we were always asked if we were DVC. We're not direct members and would reply back with a similar response, and had a similar outcome. But that said, we didn't do a ton of shopping, and half the time we weren't asked anything (so, of course, we didn't ask for a discount).

They should ask if you have any discounts instead of asking if you're DVC, which sounds like others have/are experiencing... and per @Sandisw, it sounds like there's there's some active training going on around this... which is a good thing.

Do CM's care? I suspect if they are trained to differentiate, then sure they care - most people want to do their job well. The experience we had in April led me to believe they weren't trained to differentiate. The question I had was does Disney really care (i.e. do they lose money or make more money when someone is getting a discount)?
I’ve been paying attention more what the CM says and at both WDW and DLR the wordage is “any discounts.” In terms of verification it has varied from checking mobilepass and ID to just believing me. At DLR they scan the barcode for our AP discounts and this really should be the way to go. I would like to just verify my credentials with my magicband. It still confuses me why it varies so much between the 2 coasts.

CMs aren't paid enough to care unless they are being monitored or are the type to follow rules. Because I suspect giving you a discount you aren't entitled to could get them fired (but in a labor shortage, probably isn't sufficient by itself if they get caught once). So if an individual CM cares depends on how much a rule follower they are, if they think they might be being watched, and if they care about their job. They system currently doesn't care, and I suspect someday Disney will put your eligible discounts on your magic band, along with your photo (so you can't swap magic bands) and then CMs won't have to care.

my last trip i was asked for it every time we wanted the discount. years before never asked. times are tough. disney needs to pocket every penny they need to.

I've been asked every time and just truthfully said no. On a particularly large purchase the CM gave me 10% off anyway.

I don't think I've ever specifically been asked about DVC only, as there are multiple potential discounts. The typical question we get is "any discounts?" Could be DVC, AP, D23 and so on. We then ask which one is best of all the ones we have. They usually ask to see proof, probably 90% of the time I'd estimate.
Same here. On both coasts. "Do you have any discounts?", or "Any discounts?" is always the question posed. Since the middle of last year, I've been asked to show the DVC-Y just about every time (before that it was hit or miss), with the exceptions almost always being restaurants.

I don't see why a CM would lead with "Are you DVC?" as it would seem the question would more likely be "Do you have an annual pass?" as that's the more likely discount that most would qualify for.

I’ve been asked if I have any discounts and been given the best deal between AP and DVC. Had to show proof each time.

Same here. On both coasts. "Do you have any discounts?", or "Any discounts?" is always the question posed. Since the middle of last year, I've been asked to show the DVC-Y just about every time (before that it was hit or miss), with the exceptions almost always being restaurants.

I don't see why a CM would lead with "Are you DVC?" as it would seem the question would more likely be "Do you have an annual pass?" as that's the more likely discount that most would qualify for.

At Craftsman Grill for breakfast we were always asked if we were DVC by the guy working. I think sometimes he'd say "Any discounts? Are you DVC?" Basically like two separate questions. At the time, I didn't know anything about DVC or that they got a discount.

I can't remember if it was there or elsewhere, but I know at one place we went we were asked if we had any discounts and I said just Visa but that I think we need to spend more. I didn't realize it until we sat down and I looked at the receipt, but she had put in a DVC discount for us. Very nice of her.

I can't remember if it was there or elsewhere, but I know at one place we went we were asked if we had any discounts and I said just Visa but that I think we need to spend more. I didn't realize it until we sat down and I looked at the receipt, but she had put in a DVC discount for us. Very nice of her.
Sometimes, when the discount is the same, they’ll just hit whatever button is easiest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter