• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do CM really care about who gets the purchase discount?

I was questioned pretty thoroughly about it at Aulani, every time. One day I was buying a bunch of merchandise and realized at check out I'd left my phone in the room as I was planning to use my magic band. He said absolutely no way to the discount without my card. I asked them to hold my merchandise while I went upstairs to get my phone and he paused, asked what resort was home and what my use year was, gave me a hard look for a few seconds, then sighed and said "ok just this once."

Surely there is a way to check for this without phones. Encode it on the magic bands or let us charge to the room and say, if we find out you're not direct we'll add the discount back on. There's got to be a way to not make us feel like criminals and the cast members like interrogators.

Last week, used AP discounts, most CMs just looked at the DVC Y, ANNUAL notation in my iphone wallet, one asked for photo ID. And ONE said she had to see the AP dates as listed in the WDW/MDE APP, along with photo ID.

I have found since the digital thing they want to see it. The woman in the contemporary gift shop was almost nasty to me about it. I still had the actual card but had not figured out the digital thing. She was like sorry we cannot use that. The purchase was like ten dollars. whatever.
And I noticed at HHI the guy in front of me at the gift shop said he was dvc but didn’t have his phone. Didn’t get the discount. I have the digital thing now. I hate using phones for things.

I have found since the digital thing they want to see it.
It’s so crazy how very different peoples’ experiences have been!! I’ve found the opposite to be true, but ~90% of the time that I’m using a discount I’m in a restaurant & I do think it’s different in restaurants vs. shops.

I have always put my DVC card with my CC when my bill comes- and previously I only had a few requests to see an ID. Now, I still do the same thing, and there have been zero requests for ID with only one CM (that I can remember) asking for digital verification.
The woman in the contemporary gift shop was almost nasty to me about it.
Most of the times that I’ve been asked for digital verification have indeed been while shopping (though still very infrequent- I’m also an AP holder & always show both cards at once… they’re in the same slot in my Disney wallet 😉). The CMs who want the digital ID definitely seem snippier than the ones who are still fine with the physical blue card.

The weirdest (& rudest) was one CM telling me physical AP’s weren’t allowed (when, in reality, only DVC was *required* to be digital & AP still had to be a physical card) 🤦🏻‍♀️… I was at WL’s gift shop right at the beginning of the digital switch for DVC & this CM was actively training another CM on digital verification. Anyway, the next time I went into WL’s gift shop (a day or 2 later) that CM was busy berating another customer, so I went to the other checkout counter & merely stated that I was DVC/AP while getting into my wallet & they said there was no need to show them. I think they were sick of the trainer & retaliating by being extra lax about it!! 🤪

As more and more shops move to mobile check-out, you will definitely need to have everything coded properly into your phone for any discounts, we've already seen the cuts in cashier staff to use them in other areas.

Do CM's care? I suspect if they are trained to differentiate, then sure they care - most people want to do their job well.

Agreed. I think most CMs want to follow correct protocol but the DVC-Y issue is on top of all these other tiny details that continuously change they’re trying to keep up with. It’s confusing to understand which owners are entitled to the discount. Most CMs will try to avoid declining a guest who is actually entitled - so they may err on the side of caution, which in this case is the CM letting it slide when they are not 100% certain.

CMs are just supposed to check for the DVC-Y but unless they have a little background to what that actually represents, DVC cards just look like DVC cards. We showed our digital white card to around 10 CMs, some asked for ID but none turned it down for not having the Y.

If Disney wants to prevent misapplication of discounts, they need to empower their CMs with something easier to understand and apply.

The CMs themselves don't care, but they should do it correctly if they don't wanna get a negative mystery shopper review, then get talked to by managers. Disney mystery shoppers are everywhere, and even if they don't personally interact with the CMs, they will observe them up close or nearby and give them a score.

By the way, you don't need a blue card to buy DVC merch right?

For the most part - no. Anybody can buy.

AP merch is different though, usually need to show eligibility to purchase.
Thanks! I know this was mentioned either in different threads or the FB group, but for awhile shopdisney.com listed that you must be eligible DVC member to purchase the magicband. Some white card members have tried and they said it wouldn't let them buy it. Then few weeks ago, that "eligible DVC member" disclaimer is gone. Not sure why so just curious about buying the DVC merch in person.

Last week, used AP discounts, most CMs just looked at the DVC Y, ANNUAL notation in my iphone wallet, one asked for photo ID. And ONE said she had to see the AP dates as listed in the WDW/MDE APP, along with photo ID.
If you add your pass to the Apple wallet or google wallet, then they won’t ask for ID.

Side note: In Louisiana, we have a digital version of our drivers license /ID. It was free several years ago when it launched and I’m not sure if it is still free. It could also connect your “health” card which had your immunizations including Covid vacs.

I was at my grandchild’s school graduation and got a text from LA wallet/health and it informed me that I had been within 6ft of someone who had tested positive for Covid-19-this was in 2021.

I can use my LAWallet as ID everywhere IN Louisiana but not yet to fly - well because not every state has the option.

If you add your pass to the Apple wallet or google wallet, then they won’t ask for ID.
DVC Y, ANNUAL IS the notation in Disney Magic Mobile for DVC Memebers that also have APs. She still insisted on seeing it in the MDE ticket section with the expiration date, AND a photo ID. This was at the former Camera Shop (Now Pin Trading Station) on the Right Side of Spaceship Earth as you enter EPCOT.

DVC Y, ANNUAL IS the notation in Disney Magic Mobile for DVC Memebers that also have APs. She still insisted on seeing it in the MDE ticket section with the expiration date, AND a photo ID. This was at the former Camera Shop (Now Pin Trading Station) on the Right Side of Spaceship Earth as you enter EPCOT.
I can understand why they wouldn’t trust the notation ANNUAL in MM - mine still shows that, even though our APs expired in March, and I’ve read of it appearing for people who haven’t had an AP for years. So it seems to be unreliable for documentation of an AP.

Side note: In Louisiana, we have a digital version of our drivers license /ID. It was free several years ago when it launched and I’m not sure if it is still free. It could also connect your “health” card which had your immunizations including Covid vacs.

I was at my grandchild’s school graduation and got a text from LA wallet/health and it informed me that I had been within 6ft of someone who had tested positive for Covid-19-this was in 2021.

I can use my LAWallet as ID everywhere IN Louisiana but not yet to fly - well because not every state has the option.
I have been asked for ID when showing the back of my MM pass.

Not all the time, but definitely have several places during my trips. It’s been CM dependent. So, I have a copy of my DL on my phone for the times when they ask to see it.

Most often, its the resort gift shops where they tend to just ask to see the digital card.

Last edited:
I don’t mean “magic mobile” I mean the WALLET app on smart phones.

I know some people don’t have or
Use smart phones and that would require them to keep their ID with them.

I personally, don’t carry my ID in the parks but my husband has his and if they ask for ID then I will just use his.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter