• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

do any of you go to character meals for the meal rather than the characters?

gm

DIS Veteran
We have been to the character meals sooo many times in the past few years that we are not interested in taking pictures with characters because we have tons and tons of pictures.

Here is the question: would you make a ps at character meals just for the meal ?

I am planning character meals again but just for the meals not character interaction because at the buffett, the kids can get a healthy meal instead of the same strips/fries meals at the park. I am doing 1 character meal a day. Would you feel it is a waste of money if you didnt take pictures with characters and just went for the meal?

I am going to try Trails End Buffet but the kids just love the food at chef mickeys, 1900 park faire, Crystal palace.

We will eat at hollywood and vine once since the food is much better at the above mentioned meals. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
:D

Both, we do Chef Mickeys not only for the characters for the kids but hubby loves the buffet meal there. So if there were a time we went without kids, we sure would still go because hubby loves to go.

Yes, we do Chef Mickey's for dinner every trip. Naturally I have a ton of photos, but getting ones as the kids grow is kinda cool. Also, I actaully like the food there. Each year it is one of our best meals of the trip. We have never had a bad meal there.

Princess storybook we do not so much for the food, but because our dd's are princess crazy. The food is just ok.

The first time we did CRT, it was for my nieces. Then I dragged my DSs back there on another trip,not for the princesses, but for the food. I just loved those potatoes and the cheese filled thing. Yummy!
Also, we really like Chef Mickeys, I look forward to the food there more than the characters, but it is nice to get a fix of the characters there too.

Yes, DH and I go to the Cape May Cafe character breakfast everytime we are in WDW. It is a tradition for us that was stared on our honeymoon and one that we will continue. We love the food and the relaxed atmosphere. It also gives us a chance to hang out in our favorite area of WDW.
:sunny:

DH and I do the dinner at Liberty Tavern for the food! The characters are just icing on the cake. We usually go towards the end of our trip when we are getting tired of restaurant type food. Liberty Tree has turkey, dressing, tatoes, gravy...just like grandma used to make! YYUUUMMMY!

We also like the Cape May cafe breakfast. We think the food is great and so much variety.

The other character meals we have been to were for the characters and the food was just tolerable. Although Liberty Tree Tavern dinner is pretty good.

Maggie

Our 3 ds are getting older and we also did chef mickey, crystal palace and hollywood and vine a few weeks ago for easter. I like seeing them with the characters as they grow. They grudginly will pose for a picture but since they are teens they are busy stocking up on the food and little ds 12 has some food "issues" so I just find the buffets are a good non confrontational way to get him to eat at least 1 healthy meal a day too.

I concur with the above posters. We actually like the food. I find it quite convenient for my three sons who have differing tastes and appetites. It is certainly the most cost-efficient way to fill up the 15 yr old. He eats his share, his two younger brothers' shares and probably my share of desserts. My 11 yr old who has a rather smallish appetite likes that he can choose how much of an item he wants and doesn't feel pressured to 'clean his plate' which is his father's requirement at home. Thank goodness for buffets! The characters are just a fun bonus for me, lol.

I thank you all for the wonderful responses. I like the idea where the Characters are the icing on the cake or an an added bonus with our meal.

I just was thinking that the buffett prices are high due to the characters being there also but come to think for it at least there is a big selection of quality food and fun also instead of opting for offsite restaurants.

My son has had enough of the characters LOL . He will be turning 13 there. My daughter 6 still enjoys seeing them.

:bounce: :bounce: :sunny:

Hollywood and Vine lunch buffet..don't know if they are still doing it..but, it used to be so wonderful..characters were just a plus.

Originally posted by gm
Here is the question: would you make a ps at character meals just for the meal ?

No way! The food is passable, at best (and we have done CRT, Chef Mickey's, PSB, Cape May and others no longer available). To pay $20 for an adult for that food would not be in the cards for me.

We like to go for the character meal at the Garden Grill restaurant in Epcot because of the vegetables they serve. They are grown right there in the Land Pavillion, which definitely ensures their freshness. Also, it is a nice respite from the weigh-you-down character meals that make you feel like going back to bed instead of attacking the theme parks.

I love the buffet at the Crystal Palace (breakfast or dinner). I thought the selection was good, and tasty.

Dave

We do LTT just for the food, thought the characters are awsome there too. If we just want a buffet, no characters we choose trails end buffet for great food and better prices. As DS is getting older we are doing a lot less character meals.

Jordans' mom

The Garden Grill is my favorite restaurant in WDW and we would visit this restaurant even if the characters disappeared.

I love the food and the restaurant itself - the characters are a nice bonus because we have two small girls.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter