DisneySuiteFreak's Summer Nightastic Photo Intensive Trip Report; updated 3-17-2010!

Your pics are amazing! I think I frame pics well, and I find interesting and different angles, but my camera is pretty awful :rotfl2: There ya go, I can blame my lousy pics on my equipment :thumbsup2

What starting camera would you recommend -- not too complicated, hopefully not too expensive? I like getting action shots of shows and parades, and I'd love to take better nighttime shots. Any suggestions?

Hi KB - :snooty:

Your pics are amazing! I think I frame pics well, and I find interesting and different angles, but my camera is pretty awful :rotfl2: There ya go, I can blame my lousy pics on my equipment :thumbsup2

What starting camera would you recommend -- not too complicated, hopefully not too expensive? I like getting action shots of shows and parades, and I'd love to take better nighttime shots. Any suggestions?

You are welcome!
We go to DL almost every weekend, so I take a lot of pictures too and some video too. I usually post them over here since I hang out here everyday:
Looking forward to your next group of pictures.
Sea

Nice photos! :goodvibes Wow you are so lucky to be able to go every weekend! I wish I lived closer to DL; I would so be there every weekend myself. I have an AP and I don't live anywhere near DL!:laughing:
Are you posting your photos on the main DIS Community board? We have a DL photo of the day on the DL Community board. You should come on over and post some of your photos there too.

Thank you so much for your compliment! I appreciate it!
Your best bet for having flexibility to get the kind of shots you want would be to invest in a DSLR and some fast lenses like the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens or the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 lenses. If the f/1.4 or f/2.8 mean nothing to you, you should hang out on the photo boards and check out some of the threads there.
I highly recommend the books Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby for people who need to learn about Exposure (Peterson's book) and for people who just want a quick 'recipe' book on how to get what you want (Kelby's). Beyond that you'd have to practice, practice, practice.
I use a Nikon D90 DSLR and I love it. There are many different types on the market and each one has positive and negative attributes. Many people say to go to a store and hold them to see which is more comfortable for you. If you go to a store like Best Buy, keep in mind their people who work there know next to nothing about cameras and especially DSLRs. Hang out on the photo boards to get the inside scoop on what works for people and ask questions. If you find one that feels comfortable for you, keep in mind that you are investing in a system that involves lens selection, pricing, etc. Some bodies like the Sony DSLRs have In Body stabalization and some like Canon and Nikon have it in the lenses. Everything is Ala Carte for DSLRs, except for the kits that are sold w/ body + kit lenses. The newest DSLRs have the ability to use higher ISOs to enable faster shutter speed and that's what you need to capture action shots and handheld night time shots. If you want to capture long exposure night shots, you will need a tripod to avoid motion blur. I recommend the Nikon D90 and the kit lens as a great starter DSLR. The D40 and D60 as well as the new D5000 and D3000 (IIRC) do not allow auto focus with older Nikon fast lenses like the Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens that I have. The D90 does, and also allows higher usable ISOs than can be achieved by the D40 and D60. I believe the D5000 and D3000 have the same sensor as the D90, so the usable ISO should be the same. The D90 +kit lens should be dropping in price since they just came out with the D5000, D3000, and D300s. If you want cheaper, the D5000 or 3000 would probably be the way to go. Just know that you can't Auto focus older lenses on these bodies. I believe you can use the Sigma 30mm 1.4 lens and it will AF on those bodies if you would want a fast lens, but you should double check on that as I am not an expert.
Aside from all that above, for a much cheaper option and ability to do many similar things except maybe low light ride shots, your best bet would be to get a Bridge camera like the Canon S5 or newer. I believe they have a newer series of bridge cameras that just came out recently, the SX series. Not sure of the number;I think it may be 1 i.e. SX1. Otherwise, another excellent, highly recommended camera would be the Canon G9, G10 or the new G11 (which is supposed to be coming out soon if not already). These cameras have more manual controls than a typical P&S that would enable you to have more options and learn about exposure. Also, the G series can shoot RAW which gives better editing options than just JPEG. If you get into it enough, you can always upgrade later to a DSLR. Sorry for the novel. Trying to cram as much info in there as possible. LMK if you have any questions.
HTH!:goodvibes

You are welcome!

My DL videos: www.youtube.com/tommyflix

Looking forward to your next group of pictures.
Sea

Hey Seacrestpromo, I just had a chance to check out your videos (instead of finishing my next installment I was watching your videos!:rolleyes1). Anyway, I was wondering what kind of camcorder you are using. The video was very nice. Do you have to do any kind of encoding, etc? Is it AVCHD or HDV?
Thanks...

Hiya Sea! :snooty: :goodvibes

Thank you so much for your compliment! I appreciate it!
Your best bet for having flexibility to get the kind of shots you want would be to invest in a DSLR and some fast lenses like the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens or the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 lenses. If the f/1.4 or f/2.8 mean nothing to you, you should hang out on the photo boards and check out some of the threads there.
I highly recommend the books Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby for people who need to learn about Exposure (Peterson's book) and for people who just want a quick 'recipe' book on how to get what you want (Kelby's). Beyond that you'd have to practice, practice, practice.
I use a Nikon D90 DSLR and I love it. There are many different types on the market and each one has positive and negative attributes. Many people say to go to a store and hold them to see which is more comfortable for you. If you go to a store like Best Buy, keep in mind their people who work there know next to nothing about cameras and especially DSLRs. Hang out on the photo boards to get the inside scoop on what works for people and ask questions. If you find one that feels comfortable for you, keep in mind that you are investing in a system that involves lens selection, pricing, etc. Some bodies like the Sony DSLRs have In Body stabalization and some like Canon and Nikon have it in the lenses. Everything is Ala Carte for DSLRs, except for the kits that are sold w/ body + kit lenses. The newest DSLRs have the ability to use higher ISOs to enable faster shutter speed and that's what you need to capture action shots and handheld night time shots. If you want to capture long exposure night shots, you will need a tripod to avoid motion blur. I recommend the Nikon D90 and the kit lens as a great starter DSLR. The D40 and D60 as well as the new D5000 and D3000 (IIRC) do not allow auto focus with older Nikon fast lenses like the Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens that I have. The D90 does, and also allows higher usable ISOs than can be achieved by the D40 and D60. I believe the D5000 and D3000 have the same sensor as the D90, so the usable ISO should be the same. The D90 +kit lens should be dropping in price since they just came out with the D5000, D3000, and D300s. If you want cheaper, the D5000 or 3000 would probably be the way to go. Just know that you can't Auto focus older lenses on these bodies. I believe you can use the Sigma 30mm 1.4 lens and it will AF on those bodies if you would want a fast lens, but you should double check on that as I am not an expert.
Aside from all that above, for a much cheaper option and ability to do many similar things except maybe low light ride shots, your best bet would be to get a Bridge camera like the Canon S5 or newer. I believe they have a newer series of bridge cameras that just came out recently, the SX series. Not sure of the number;I think it may be 1 i.e. SX1. Otherwise, another excellent, highly recommended camera would be the Canon G9, G10 or the new G11 (which is supposed to be coming out soon if not already). These cameras have more manual controls than a typical P&S that would enable you to have more options and learn about exposure. Also, the G series can shoot RAW which gives better editing options than just JPEG. If you get into it enough, you can always upgrade later to a DSLR. Sorry for the novel. Trying to cram as much info in there as possible. LMK if you have any questions.
HTH!:goodvibes

ok...gotta tell you...about half of that was Greek to me...like when my husband's eyes glaze over when he starts talking about 4 gigs of RAM and 64 bit motherboards and the latest NVIDIA video card. ;) But I'm also intrigued!!! I've considered marketing some articles to travel mags, and having the perfect pics to send along with the text can be a great way to get noticed by an editor.

I am going to start lurking on the photography board...I hope this new passion doesn't become too expensive... :eek: :laughing: I'm sure I'll think up lots of questions for you! I might get a tripod, but can't really see myself taking it into the parks unless I was trying to get a specific shot -- or if I was planning to shoot fireworks, or Fantasmic. I'm going to start looking at the Canon S5 or the G series, like you suggested.

Thanks for the info! :goodvibes

DSF - Well, I do own a MiniDV camcorder by Sony. I forget the model number - have to tell you later. But I use it rarely. LOL!

Virtually all the videos on the YT site were shot with my point and shoot, Canon SD 550 up to Feb 2009, then the rest were shot with the Canon SD 890. 640x480 LOL. I think there might be 3 videos that were shot with the Sony.

I am very lazy with my editing - I have been fooling around with Proshow Gold, a slideshow program that has some video editing features, which is very easy to use and can get the job done in less than 10 minutes. Some times I use Windows Movie Maker, and I do own a copy of Pinnacle 10, but I haven't used more than once or twice. I usually output to MP4 or MP2 to keep the file sizes manageable. If I output higher, HD, the file sizes grow up to 150-250 megs.

Check out the new Halloween Screams fireworks show that I shot 2 weeks ago with my p&s: http://www.viddler.com/explore/tommyflix/videos/7/

Although the equipment might not be the best, it is very satisfying to actually do something with all this video I have sitting on my hard drive and have an outlet to share with it others.

Sea

BTW, my next camera purchase is going to be the D90 - my dad and uncle love their cameras. Good advice, BTW, I usually buy my cameras at Samy's because you have people there who are knowledgeable and can guide you in your purchase unlike the big box stores.

Hey Seacrestpromo, I just had a chance to check out your videos (instead of finishing my next installment I was watching your videos!:rolleyes1). Anyway, I was wondering what kind of camcorder you are using. The video was very nice. Do you have to do any kind of encoding, etc? Is it AVCHD or HDV?
Thanks...

Wow, This is the BEST travel report I've ever seen!

I love it!. I feel like I've spent the day with you at Disneyland and really enjoyed my favorite rides and shows.

All your Photo's come out better than mine!
I really think I'll have to look at upgrading my Camera.

I live in Australia, but I still like to try and visit Disneyland each year or two. Because the journey is so long, I always stay for a long time, 2 to 3 weeks at Disneyland and try to photograph everything so I can revisit my photo's.

You said

"Can you tell that I just love this ride? I didn’t even come close to putting in all of the photos I took, there are just too many! Love it! The WDW version just cannot compare to this version, sorry WDW lovers, but it’s true..."

Yes, I love the ride also, Please post the photo's of the rest of the ride.

DSF - Well, I do own a MiniDV camcorder by Sony. I forget the model number - have to tell you later. But I use it rarely. LOL!

Virtually all the videos on the YT site were shot with my point and shoot, Canon SD 550 up to Feb 2009, then the rest were shot with the Canon SD 890. 640x480 LOL. I think there might be 3 videos that were shot with the Sony.

I am very lazy with my editing - I have been fooling around with Proshow Gold, a slideshow program that has some video editing features, which is very easy to use and can get the job done in less than 10 minutes. Some times I use Windows Movie Maker, and I do own a copy of Pinnacle 10, but I haven't used more than once or twice. I usually output to MP4 or MP2 to keep the file sizes manageable. If I output higher, HD, the file sizes grow up to 150-250 megs.

Check out the new Halloween Screams fireworks show that I shot 2 weeks ago with my p&s: http://www.viddler.com/explore/tommyflix/videos/7/

Although the equipment might not be the best, it is very satisfying to actually do something with all this video I have sitting on my hard drive and have an outlet to share with it others.

Sea

BTW, my next camera purchase is going to be the D90 - my dad and uncle love their cameras. Good advice, BTW, I usually buy my cameras at Samy's because you have people there who are knowledgeable and can guide you in your purchase unlike the big box stores.

Whoa Seacrest, that was an awesome video! At 14+ minutes how did you manage to keep it under 500MB? I've never seen that site before but I like that it doesn't limit you on time like YouTube does. I guess the trade off is the limit of 500mb. Does it automatically compress the file to keep it under 500mbs?
I recently took some video with my Panasonic TS1 which is AVCHD lite video. Each file is still over 1GB so I am having a tough time figuring out how to upload it and where to upload it too without having to do too much editing. It's kind of a PITA, but it took pretty impressive video for a P&S, much like yours. The only downside to video from the p&S is that when there is bright light, you can see the straight line going up and down vertically through the video. Other than that, it's pretty darn good and convenient to boot! DH doesn't mind carrying it around and videoing for me with the P&S!:lmao:

You will LOVE the D90! It has made a world of difference in my photography. I am now able to capture things I was never able to before with a P&S and with my older and still very good D80. The new-ish sensor in the D90 has made a world of difference.

Wow, This is the BEST travel report I've ever seen!

I love it!. I feel like I've spent the day with you at Disneyland and really enjoyed my favorite rides and shows.

All your Photo's come out better than mine!
I really think I'll have to look at upgrading my Camera.

I live in Australia, but I still like to try and visit Disneyland each year or two. Because the journey is so long, I always stay for a long time, 2 to 3 weeks at Disneyland and try to photograph everything so I can revisit my photo's.

You said

"Can you tell that I just love this ride? I didn’t even come close to putting in all of the photos I took, there are just too many! Love it! The WDW version just cannot compare to this version, sorry WDW lovers, but it’s true..."

Yes, I love the ride also, Please post the photo's of the rest of the ride.

Thank you so much Robert for your kind words, I really appreciate it! I'm working on my next installment now. I only have a couple more days and then when I'm done I will go back and post more POTC pics just for you! I think with your eye for photography, if you can upgrade to a DSLR at some point you will absolutely LOVE IT and wonder why you didn't do it sooner!

I'm the same as you; I take a ton of photos so I can remember as much as I can until the next trip. I was very fortunate this year to be able to go 3 times since we got the discounted APs, but they expire in early Jan and before that we are blocked out due to the holidays. So I don't when we'll get to go again. :( I wish we could go for longer trips like you do, but my DH can only take so much before he's had enough. :confused3 (I know, I don't get it either! How can you have too much Disney?) :lmao:

Day 5 Long Beach Aquarium aka Aquarium of the Pacific & Knotts Berry Farm…
We woke up pretty early this day (for us anyway!) and picked up our DS’s friend. He used to be a DL AP holder but he had let his AP lapse. He suggested before we got there that we take a day to check out Knott’s Berry Farm, so that’s what we decided to do. Now this trip is not the norm for us. Usually, we do DL all the way. But this was our 2nd time this year and DH is not a theme park freak like DS and I. So while we were planning, DH mentioned several times that he wanted to go to check out Long Beach Aquarium aka Aquarium of the Pacific. So we picked up DS’s friend Kenny who just happened to live in Long Beach and that’s where we went first. Did I mention DH really loves fish and aquatic life? He’s a surfer dude (or used to be one!) and I guess that’s why he loves everything to do with the ocean and environment. Aquarium of the Pacific had some internet deals going on and since then I’ve seen them practically giving away tickets for this place through places like Goldstar. It was well worth it for us and a nice relaxing day (sort of) away from Disney. (I say sort of because there were a lot of kids on field trips at LBA.) There are a lot of interactive exhibits and touching pools for the kids and big kids too. We all enjoyed it, and again, we didn’t get to see and do everything because we were short on time and wanted to get to Knotts. There is a convention area near LBA and a few chain places to eat like Bubba Gumps. We did not partake as we had to cram quite a bit into a very short day. LBA has different galleries set up that introduces you to the various species found in specified areas. When you walk in on of the first things you see is the Tropical Pacific Preview tank which has a variety of fishes and aquatic life found in the tropical pacific.
600327618_KdmQj-L.jpg

600328433_x4X4a-L.jpg

600328072_nmHTm-L.jpg

600328847_xbhQU-L.jpg

Outside they had a touching tank in which people could feed the sharks! They had a specific way of doing this though and it wasn’t a continuous feeding. They would stop and start. In this same tank they had Sting Rays.
600329404_PYnkU-L.jpg

600329630_t9Fns-L.jpg

These were not the man eating type sharks. They were all very small and tame.
600329955_xjRZH-L.jpg

600330438_kprQ4-L.jpg

600331938_jhhFT-L.jpg

600332464_xHBaJ-L.jpg

It was a very bright and sunny day. Even though I had a polarizing filter on my lens it was hard to get shots without a ton of reflection off the water.
Down below they had a much larger shark tank that held the larger, more man eating variety.
600332694_qH3CA-L.jpg

600334879_aNB7x-L.jpg

600333856_aTHXF-L.jpg

600335226_Td27W-L.jpg

600336014_m7TQM-L.jpg

600337034_Gpd4Q-L.jpg
<Scary! Look at those teeth!

They had interesting things like this to show you the species, what they ate and what their teeth look like. In case you weren’t scared enough to go into the water! J/K! It really was educational and interesting but there was so much more to see!
600337822_Mgiy5-L.jpg

600338102_GyxX8-L.jpg

600338372_56qPn-L.jpg

Then we went to see the Sea Lions…
600338631_dKW7j-L.jpg

It was hard to get decent shots of these mammals because there was salt spray all over the plexiglass and also because of the reflection…
This guy came right up to the glass!
600341730_Rz9Uq-L.jpg

600341996_Yc7dG-L.jpg

600343026_Tbrcf-L.jpg

It’s like he knew we were there and wanted attention…
600343590_fqFUS-L.jpg

Then after a while, he was over it and went to go play with his friends…
600347043_dngY3-L.jpg

Once again, all the photos today are Straight out of the Camera...for better or for worse, LOL!

The touching tank with small sea animals was very popular with the kids. One thing that was great about LBA was that they had hand sanitizer everywhere for people to use before and after touching the animals. I guess that prevents the animals from getting sick and prevents us from catching or spreading anything too. The small sea animals were so beautiful and colorful!
600349125_wNsng-L.jpg

600349453_7UzLo-L.jpg

There was a handler there who was very strict about the way people would touch the animals. They are very fragile and could die if shocked too much.
600353756_AeraU-L.jpg

From there we went to the Manta Ray exhibit. They have a feeding show with the Manta Rays, but we didn’t stay for that. These little buggers were so cute and very popular with little kids and big kids too. They looked like little puppies. Their faces are so cute!
600354327_TNRZ2-L.jpg

Apparently they like being touched because they couldn’t get enough. They kept coming around and would swim up the tank to get closer to our hands.
600354871_9Bdh6-L.jpg

600357976_CFh94-L.jpg

600358505_QHrxg-L.jpg

600359320_aP6VX-L.jpg

So cool! The place was packed with kids big and small who loved it too!
600359842_dKwb3-L.jpg

600359842_dKwb3-L.jpg

There were other tanks/area that had various fishes and birds and above that there were examples of plant life in the area…
600361535_uvpCX-L.jpg

600362177_RdkSs-L.jpg

600362419_tk9td-L.jpg

600363863_mNp2X-L.jpg

600363136_iaWqK-L.jpg

600363400_bfLm7-L.jpg

600348536_J7iS4-L.jpg

Did you know that Sharks are related to Rays? I didn’t. You learn something knew everyday…
600364125_8BTm3-L.jpg

Next we went inside. It was cold and much darker. There were many more examples of aquatic life, plants and birds.
600365281_JCc4R-L.jpg

600365733_3Rz7v-L.jpg

600366393_wNbLL-L.jpg

Different type of seaweed…
600366845_kxC3B-L.jpg

I love these things. Can’t recall what they’re called but they are so cool…like venus fly traps under water.
600367050_2cMNQ-L.jpg

600367696_JQXGk-L.jpg

As you can see it was getting darker inside and colder. We were in the North Pacific area of the Aquarium.
600368369_2jM6A-L.jpg

600368663_uwvAT-L.jpg

600368875_6u4qT-L.jpg

600369147_pqzDS-L.jpg

And then we saw the Jellyfish! They are so beautiful and graceful looking, but some of them are deadly.
600372142_H5Cgy-L.jpg

600369430_NMXy9-L.jpg

600369648_QT8oV-L.jpg

600370319_5x4TF-L.jpg

600371914_ZcLHx-L.jpg

600371709_Ar3Zj-L.jpg

600371529_o9GAy-L.jpg

600372564_PcFpw-L.jpg

600372772_Vst9n-L.jpg

600372968_KCDdB-L.jpg

600373141_CciUy-L.jpg

600373987_gcCc6-L.jpg

600374127_8cuXZ-L.jpg

600374278_Xsdy6-L.jpg

600374451_Q3r7k-L.jpg

600374687_nmnXX-L.jpg

600375685_eRLd2-L.jpg

Such peaceful looking sea creatures…but scary too…

We saw this guy hiding in the coral…
600376092_3yQJm-L.jpg

And another touch tank representing creatures from the North Pacific region…
They have such beautiful colors!
600377574_rLhG5-L.jpg

600378355_GYgEd-L.jpg

We also saw various other sea creatures that should not be touched that were in glass containers…
600378991_b5uHp-L.jpg

This one had Hermit Crabs in them:
600379214_QcHMw-L.jpg

I guess they keep them in there to protect them from us since they are so small and fragile…
And a star fish I had never seen before:
600379436_ZvbMJ-L.jpg

And a star fish with a couple of different types of seaweed.

There were Sea Otters (sorry they were sleeping so I didn’t get any great shots of them)
600380192_Zdjbm-L.jpg

More deep seas creatures:
600380479_LztCo-L.jpg

I love these, they look so cool!
A tank with Shrimp in it:
600383569_tRP4P-L.jpg

600382660_FJnFi-L.jpg

And Crab:
600383237_F45aH-L.jpg

600384076_WQx2K-L.jpg

600384529_estHN-L.jpg

BTW, I lucked out on the brighter shots because it’s really dark in this area. Some people opened the door that leads to outside so I was able to quickly grab the few bright shots I have…

The interior of Long Beach Aquarium aka Aquarium of the Pacific…
600385594_FKb2g-L.jpg

Exterior of LBA… You can see the convention hotels almost right across the street.
600386241_bgemH-L.jpg

They also have an Imax Movie here that we didn’t take time to see. I believe the ticket has to be purchased separately, but it wasn’t that expensive. We just had other things planned for the day, like lunch and then Knott’s Berry Farm! We enjoyed it a lot and would definitely recommend it for people who are environmentally conscious, interested in aquatic life and who want to expose their kids to things they would ordinarily never get to see up close. We absolutely loved the touching tanks, Jelly fish and really loved petting the friendly manta rays! I'm not sure if we would do it very soon, but for something a little different for those who love sea life, this is a cool place that is also educational to take your kids and family. My DS and his friend were both 20 and they enjoyed as much as the pre-k kids we saw in field trip groups. There were many age groups represented there, lots of pre teens too.
There were a lot of educational type shows, etc., that we missed because we had a limited amount of time as we were headed to Knotts.

Coming up, Day 5 continued and Knotts Berry Farm!

2 Be continued….

Day 5 continued... Knotts Berry Farm...

Lunch at Hokkaido in Long Beach…
Our son’s friend recommended a restaurant called Hokkaido in Long Beach. It was so cheap! OMG, $8.99 all you can eat. It was very decent for the price and so much selection! It had a wide variety of Japanese, seafood, and other Asian dishes. There must have been at least 60different selections plus an area where they make food teppenyaki style. I didn’t even make it over there because there was too much of everything else. Being the typical tourist that I am, I of course took a ton of photos there too. I won’t post them because I honestly don’t think most tourists would go all the way out here to eat anyway…But suffice it to say for the price, it was pretty darn good, especially for buffet food.

Then we went to Knotts. It was already after 3 when we got there and it was cool and cloudy but sunny at the same time. I apologize in advance because all my photos have either blown out skies or grey foreboding ones. It was June Gloom, and it wasn't pretty. But it was cool and comfortable to walk around in. Once again, all of these are SOOC, no post processing obviously, no time....
600400303_gTGZW-L.jpg

600400707_5zDDH-L.jpg

Can I just say that Knotts is also a very nice park? We really enjoyed it here so much. For one thing, it was nowhere near as crowded as DLR with all the Murphy the Dragon stalking AP holders who would be blocked out a couple of days later. Also, I really enjoyed the thematic elements of the park. In addition, they had a really good mixture of old style rides for us older people who didn’t want to see our lives flash before our eyes, and they also had a ton of thrill rides for the young kids/teens/fearless adults. Knotts was cute and we had a great day there. DS loved the thrill rides. I enjoyed the Ghost Town theme, I thought there were a lot of cute rides for the smaller kids, we personally enjoyed the 'not too crazy rides' (DS loved the Crazy rides) and the lack of crowds. You could practically walk on most rides. The one time I was told Ghostrider had a 1.5 hour wait, we left and came back later. We walked on in under 30 minutes about an hour or so before closing. (8pm in early June, 10 later through Summer).

We loved the Ghost town theme:
600401125_cmasa-L.jpg

600401561_RfE7d-L.jpg

600403495_dtWis-L.jpg

600403866_dsWK5-L.jpg

600404299_xenzH-L.jpg

600405088_3Vwuz-L.jpg

As soon as we got there, we tried to go on Ghost Rider which is their huge Wooden Roller coaster. We were told it would be an hour and a half wait. So, we decided to see what else there was going on in Knotts before waiting in that line. Sure enough a couple of hours later it was practically a walk on with about a 20-30 minute wait.
When we first got to Knotts I was going to go on one of the crazy rides with my son and his friend. As soon as I saw that you had to take everything off and store it, I said no way. I figured it would be way too crazy for me. Later DS and Kenny said that it was a good thing I didn’t go. They saw some people lose their shoes! It went flying off during the ride! Nuts! After that I told them we’d meet up with them later and DH and I went to explore the rest of the park. Later while exploring, we came across the other end of the ride. Yes, some of the rides extend from one end of the park to the other. Nuts!
Here’s a photo from the other end of the park. Did I say it’s a crazy ride? I’m so glad I didn’t go on it.
600433103_rVPRz-L.jpg

The first ride we went on was the train.
600404665_6k63h-L.jpg

They had actors performing as bandits and sheriffs.
600406907_zX797-L.jpg

It was cute. Before we got on though, there were a few teens that were getting escorted off the ride for bad behavior. I don’t know what they did, but DH and I got to go on because clearing them off made room in the train. That’s one thing we noticed at Knott’s that was really good; security was everywhere and they didn’t put up with any nonsense from the kids. Any one committing anything against the rules were escorted out of the ride and there was the threat of being escorted off the premises on signs everywhere for things like line cutting. I even heard security guards call out a few kids for line cutting.
So after the train, we decided to go the Calico Mine cart ride.
600407366_65D34-L.jpg

So we get in line for this, and were actually just about ready to board and they told us the ride closed and we all had to leave. Later we found out that someone saw someone throw what they thought was a baby in the ride. It turned out to be a doll. Anyway, the line for that ride got packed when they reopened it so we never got back to it.
After that we went on the Timber Mountain Log Ride which was very much like Splash Mountain. We enjoyed this ride a lot!
600407844_jUGzm-L.jpg

One thing that was different about this ride was we asked to ride in the back of log, and the person loading said they couldn’t allow that because it would slow the ride loading down. So we sat in the front and I pulled out DL ponchos, LOL! When we got off the person at the end said good-naturedly, “Hey you’re wearing the wrong poncho!” IIRC, the logs are similar to the Matterhorn Bobsled ride where 2 people ride together in front or in back of each car. It was fun and we would do it again!
While walking through the park we saw that there were areas for fun and recreation:
600410765_2jCh8-L.jpg

I believe you had to pay to play, not sure though. But we saw quite a few people playing and enjoying it.
At Knott’s they have this cool feature on a lot of the crazy rides in which people can pay to by a DVD of them on the ride.
600409859_2xJLg-L.jpg

And let me tell you, they buy it. My DS and his friend who lives there bought it. Nuts! I’m wondering when Disney is going to start something like this. They would make a killing!
Here are some of the crazy rides we passed while exploring:
600408229_TNYaM-L.jpg

Okay, this thing is Ginormous and at least twice as tall as Maliboomer! Can we say Crazy?
600409370_2im7h-L.jpg

This is the crazy ride my DS and friend bought their video of:
600410271_M8zLF-L.jpg

Whoa, I’m getting dizzy just looking at these rides!

It was a contrast to see the new crazy rides right next to old ghost town themed stuff.
600406480_TnuP6-L.jpg

While walking over to ride the Pony Express ride (kind of like BTMRR but you sit on top of horses, yee haw) This ride was fun!
600415436_Hhube-L.jpg

we saw the following:
600411716_DQ2Vp-L.jpg

600412329_ztHP5-L.jpg

600413544_h3nZP-L.jpg

600414351_XmeQw-L.jpg

600414920_6t4iv-L.jpg

Knotts Berry Farm Continued...

After we went on the Pony Express, we went on the water ride that is just like GRR, except you get even more wet! OMG we were wearing our ponchos and we still got wet. It was a total walk on and we would do it again. Again a worker spotted our DL poncho and said, “Hey you’re wearing the wrong ponchos!”

After riding that twice, we were getting tired and decided to give our feet a break by watching the last showing about the Indian. Sorry I can’t remember the name, but it was a very well thought out show and used a lot of illusion type things like some of the Disney shows. It was cool, educational, and we were glad we did it.

After the show got out, we decided to make our way over to Ghost Rider. On our way we saw these:
600416018_rHPzm-L.jpg

This one says “The site of Americas Oldest Continuously Operating Melodrama Theatre, 1954-1997”
600416531_P2g6E-L.jpg

Not sure, but I think it was relocated from Tombstone Arizona. (There were a couple of signs, but I didn’t read it.)
600416992_fsZpk-L.jpg

600417437_Ae3ab-L.jpg

600418045_ztpY4-L.jpg

600418526_h3cwC-L.jpg

600419017_xXr9p-L.jpg

The plaque dedicated to Mr. & Mrs. Knotts and their children “Commemorating the modest beginning of this enterprise and the creating of Ghost Town a historical landmark of early California. Dedicated November 15, 1952.”
600422185_3kXMa-XL.jpg

These buildings have scenes in them:
600422613_pHyjA-L.jpg

600423178_qNhGZ-L.jpg

600423714_72tnD-L.jpg

I love this! Ha-ha!
600424110_8eM99-L.jpg

So we finally made it to Ghost Rider….I don’t know what I was thinking. Somehow in the few hours we were there I had completely forgotten that when we entered the park, we could see a ride outside of it. I never put 2 and 2 together to realize that was part of GR.
600427400_tKSco-L.jpg

On the way to the ride:
600425268_cT5PP-L.jpg

600425804_VujVF-L.jpg

Let’s just say that we should have known better. DH was wary at first and I kept telling him, “It doesn’t look that bad. It looks fun!” Right… We got on and held on for dear life. When we got to the top of the first hill, I looked to my left and I said to my DH, “OMG, is that pat of this ride?” And he said, “Yep.” And that was it, after that we went on one heck of a ride. It was so scary and rough, I couldn’t even scream. I kept praying to God that DH wouldn’t have a heart attack! It was a horrible ride for people our age who don’t like wild rides. To make matters worse, when we got back to the loading area, a couple of us had stuck lap bars and they were loading the ride fast. I was about ready to have a panic attack because we couldn’t get ours open and I thought they were going to send us around on the ride again! I and the gal in front of me started calling out to them, louder and louder until they finally heard us and came around with a tool to release the bar and let us out! Whew! At least it was stuck in the locked/closed position! :/ Anyway, at the end, all I could do was apologize over and over again to DH. We both felt dizzy and I kind of had a slight headache. As we marveled at the fact that we both made it out alive, we walked around a corner and I saw this!
600427880_55dze-L.jpg

Why didn’t I see that sooner?!!!

I just asked my DH if he had anything he wanted to say about GR and he shook his head and said, “Hell to the no….” Nuf said, I guess! LOL! Anyway as I apologized for my stupidity in thinking it wouldn’t be that bad, we made our way back around the park to t he kiddie rides. We were done riding at that point and just waiting to meet up with DS and Kenny. We walked around and saw more stuff…
Again, old contrasted with the new:
600426918_ogzhf-L.jpg

600428395_JUVHK-L.jpg

Here, for those of you who have kids who may be interested, are some photos of the kiddie area and thematic elements…

600429360_3BifL-L.jpg

600429850_RqdgT-L.jpg

600430290_4YUvX-L.jpg

600431238_CBSnh-L.jpg

600431657_QL7p5-L.jpg

600432192_ByERf-L.jpg

Sidewinder…Again, a bigger ride overlaps this ride.
600436801_SZx3v-L.jpg

600437248_K3Jen-L.jpg

Starting ‘em off young…
600438189_awHFX-L.jpg

Kids shows:
600439633_4bapu-L.jpg

Red Baron:
600440039_5TJGA-L.jpg

Joe Cools Gr8 sk8
600440780_qeX4C-L.jpg

600441203_gAx2L-L.jpg

This is like the area in DCA with the climbing ropes, etc. I saw people coming out, but we didn’t go in:
600441913_SjjVU-L.jpg

600441534_PMqQL-L.jpg

600442301_cy7aW-L.jpg

600443493_wQV5h-L.jpg

This ‘ride’ cracked DH and I up so much! It was very old school, LOL, and worked on man power alone! They were like mine carts and they had to manually pump the handles to get it to move. Some of the kids were ready to quit in the middle of the track, and we were all laughing and encouraging them to keep going. You could just see it on their faces; they had the look like, “This is not fun?! This is hard work!” LOL!
600444176_k7KSJ-L.jpg

600445327_a9SFC-L.jpg

We made it all the way back to the other side of the park and now had to work our way back to the beginning.
600445759_zHVey-L.jpg

There’s that crazy ride again!
The train:
600446162_MamLL-L.jpg

600446556_yGhL2-L.jpg

600446901_xF8pi-L.jpg

We almost went to eat at Mrs. Knotts, but the line was way too long! On our way out, we retold the story of our Ghost Rider experience to our DS and Kenny, and they laughed at our foolishness. I just had to take a couple of photos of this insane ride for posterity because you know we’ll never ride that sucker ever again!
This is what we couldn’t see from inside the park!
600447355_Aijvf-L.jpg

600449199_f7pg9-L.jpg

600450231_SUGhw-L.jpg

And on the other side….
600449715_tJCkm-L.jpg

600450762_kMscJ-L.jpg

All the Guest service people at Knotts were so nice and wished us a great day everywhere we went. We got the impression that they really appreciated our business and went out of their way to tell us so. DS did say that he noticed that some Guest service/CM people were not as nice to him when he was by himself but he figured it must be that the park has such a high attendance of local teens and some of them try to line cut and get away with stuff; so he sensed an attitude a couple of times when they told him he had to take off his jacket or wear it or that he had to take off his glasses. (Couldn't leave it tied around his waist for safety reasons, and anything loose has to be stored - but they provide storage areas.) DS said he had the impression that they probably thought that he was like some of the local teens who attempt to get away with anything and everything they can (and yes they do have teens like that all over DL too). He said he thought that they thought he was a local teen and just playing dumb when he didn't know he was supposed to untie his jacket and store his glasses. He didn't take it personally, as he's seen the behavior by some of the local teens at both parks and yes, some do try to push the envelope with getting away with whatever they can get away with. On the bright side, he did see some local teens being escorted from a ride by security for line cutting, and DH & I saw some escorted from their train ride for acting up before the ride started. That was refreshing to see.
Yes, the thrill rides at Knotts are nuts, but fun. I would avoid Ghostrider like the plague if you have any neck or back problems. Seriously. That is one crazy ride.
If you like a lot of rides and little to no crowds, Knotts is the place for you. They had quite a few different shows going on but we missed all but one since we got there later in the day and didn't want to miss out on rides and seeing the old ghost town buildings. It was great for a one day trip. There were many things we didn't get to see in depth or do, but we all really liked the park. It was nice going from the mad, crazy DLR crowds to KBF. Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of people there, just nowhere near the insane amounts of people that DL had.

After Knotts, we asked the guys what they wanted to eat, and believe it or not they said they wanted Pancakes! So we stopped in at an IHOP somewhere between Buena Park and Long Beach, and we had a very nice, cheap, tasty, meal. Then we took Kenny home, and made it back to FFI. We debated going to DL for a couple of hours but we were all so tired we decided to just stay at the hotel and rest.
Coming up, we go back to the park that Walt built!

And I just want to say to all who are reading/lurking, DONT BE SHY! Come on out and play, the water's warm! I'd love to hear from you, hear your thoughts, comments, questions; so Don't Hang back, Participate! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter