Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Is the bus drop off order the same as the pick up order? We are booked in Preferred and I like that the South stop is the last one to get picked up (seems that would lessen the amount of time to the parks), but is it also dropped last?

Is the bus drop off order the same as the pick up order? We are booked in Preferred and I like that the South stop is the last one to get picked up (seems that would lessen the amount of time to the parks), but is it also dropped last?
We stayed in a preferred room by the south depot last June and the south depot was the last stop before going to the parks. At night it was also the last stop to be dropped off except on a couple of occasions, at park close, when the bus driver called in to ask permission to drop off at the south depot first.

Is the bus drop off order the same as the pick up order?

It's the same bus, while it's droping off returning guests it is also picking up people heading for the park. Once it's done all four drop-offs at Riverside, it carries on back to the park.

Andre

It's the same bus, while it's droping off returning guests it is also picking up people heading for the park. Once it's done all four drop-offs at Riverside, it carries on back to the park.

Andre
Of course! That makes total sense. How far would it be to walk from West Depot to the preferred section? Would it be quicker to walk from West or just stay on the bus?

Yes, Uber can't go all the way into mk, right ?

Yes, we only went to mk in 2013... last trip was 1997 (w parents) when we went to every park. I stayed at GF, Poly, and all star music as a kid and WL as an adult - that's my experience w Disney.
Right. Only Resort busses, boats or monorail goes directly to MK. Uber can drop off at CR though. Then you can just walk.

Well yes it's about the money (this is Disney after all) but I think the biggest reason for the charge is the massive increase in the quantity of product that people are having shipping to them, which is I suspect due in large part to the prevalence of information, tips and suggestions passed round on the internet (including sites like this one of course). And with airlines charging more for bringing stuff along as baggage, and Disney charging ever more for something as simple as a bottle of water, it will probably only get worse.

Ten years ago there would be a few guest items a day delivered to the resort, and this would be handled by front desk staff as needed. Now though, there is a constant flow of delivery people with boxes stacked to the ceiling throughout the day. POR has had to allocate a complete extra room (which used to be office space) solely for package storage, and there is now a dedicated staff member to handle everything.

Andre
Yes, Disney is victim of its own greed. If they stocked food items in gift shops at a reasonable cost, they would have kept the sales instead of everyone shipping things.
I just pack instant oatmeal, granola bars, and bagels spread in our suitcases for breakfast in room, and use a filtered water bottle. Or use the filtered water option in food court pop machine.
Most of the time my trip starts in Ft Lauderdale so I have the luxury to stop in a Publix before we check into WDW. But when flying into MCO it's what I can bring in suitcases! And augment with some things from Gift shop. Milk, juice, etc.

Yes, Disney is victim of its own greed. If they stocked food items in gift shops at a reasonable cost, they would have kept the sales instead of everyone shipping things.
I just pack instant oatmeal, granola bars, and bagels spread in our suitcases for breakfast in room, and use a filtered water bottle. Or use the filtered water option in food court pop machine.
Most of the time my trip starts in Ft Lauderdale so I have the luxury to stop in a Publix before we check into WDW. But when flying into MCO it's what I can bring in suitcases! And augment with some things from Gift shop. Milk, juice, etc.

You mentioned that you pack instant oatmeal....is there a microwave we can use since there isn't one in the rooms?

You mentioned that you pack instant oatmeal....is there a microwave we can use since there isn't one in the rooms?
There were microwaves in the food court. We haven't used the in room coffee maker but you may be able to make hot water with it .

We are planning Feb. 2018 and I am on the fence about a Royal Room. DD will be 5. I am sure this has been asked azillion times, but is it worth it over a standard room? I do like the location of the RR as they seem pretty close to the food court.

We are planning Feb. 2018 and I am on the fence about a Royal Room. DD will be 5. I am sure this has been asked azillion times, but is it worth it over a standard room? I do like the location of the RR as they seem pretty close to the food court.

Stayed in RR Sep 2017 and it was very nicely themed. Now that wife and I have experienced it we wouldn't do any other room at POR. Also my wife went nuts with taking pics of the kids outside of the RR Mansions. It was perfect.

How far would it be to walk from West Depot to the preferred section?

I would guess this depends where your room is in the Preferred section. I know we did get off at earlier stops ourselves when the busses were more crowded in the evening (we'd get off at West, and walk to our room close to North). It was usually worth it, we don't mind walking. Time-wise, it was usually break-even for us, would probably be more worth it getting off at West to go to the Preferred section, since you're basically skipping 3 stops. I'd say it depends how tired you are from being up all day in the parks!

How far would it be to walk from West Depot to the preferred section? Would it be quicker to walk from West or just stay on the bus?

There's not likely to be a lot in it as it only takes about 6 minutes for the bus to go round the other stops. See where your room is located and give both options a try - but if you are in the rear part of building 27, the West Depot might actually be closer for you. Remember to make use the shortcut pathway located between the two South Depot stops which leads directly to buildings 14 & 15.

upload_2017-2-14_0-35-17.png

Andre

I pack the single serve instant oatmeal (Quaker) and use hot water from the Coffee Maker in the room. No microwave needed. But yes, there are microwaves (and toasters) in the food court for guest use.

We've stayed in both RR and garden view in mansion section. I enjoyed both. Our RR was in a great section in Oak Manor close to footbridge over to main building. We also prefer the bus stop behind Oak & Magnolia buildings.
I'd say it's worth it once. We were curious. Most of our stays have been in the non royal rooms, in either Acadian House or Magnolia Terrace close to the Old Man Island foot bridge. I love those locations and love the rooms there too.
Worth is subjective. It was worth it to us to stay there for one visit to cure our curiosity, lol. We did enjoy it. But next visit will go back to regular rooms. I'm sure your daughter will love it!

So I asked for advise twice and got good feedback but now I am thinking of reversing my plan. Please tell me what you think of this idea.

We have 12 people in three rooms booked for preferred, mostly to help guarantee being closer together. (We have never ever got connecting/adjoining rooms and my wife hates it but the cost savings over two family suites is worth the risk, to me anyway lol)
The cost difference of preferred to garden is close to $400 a room but being close to each other is worth it to my wife.
So my thought is this, when we get there and are checking in, ask if they have standard/garden rooms available that are close together and if so "downgrade".
Has anyone done something like this before? I could see Disney/cm not being honest about it since they would be losing money and is it even an option for a room only reservation?

So I asked for advise twice and got good feedback but now I am thinking of reversing my plan. Please tell me what you think of this idea.

We have 12 people in three rooms booked for preferred, mostly to help guarantee being closer together. (We have never ever got connecting/adjoining rooms and my wife hates it but the cost savings over two family suites is worth the risk, to me anyway lol)
The cost difference of preferred to garden is close to $400 a room but being close to each other is worth it to my wife.
So my thought is this, when we get there and are checking in, ask if they have standard/garden rooms available that are close together and if so "downgrade".
Has anyone done something like this before? I could see Disney/cm not being honest about it since they would be losing money and is it even an option for a room only reservation?
I'm not sure if booking preferred will give you a better chance of rooms close together? If it were me, I'd go with garden view, and make sure all the reservations are linked as traveling together. Have a look at map and include your request of rooms near each other and location preferences on the reservations. Mine is mansion section close to foot bridge. Then 4-5 days before arrival email POR room assignors listing all 3 reservation numbers and your requests.

I'm not sure if booking preferred will give you a better chance of rooms close together? If it were me, I'd go with garden view, and make sure all the reservations are linked as traveling together. Have a look at map and include your request of rooms near each other and location preferences on the reservations. Mine is mansion section close to foot bridge. Then 4-5 days before arrival email POR room assignors listing all 3 reservation numbers and your requests.
Well I went preferred based on number of rooms, worse case I am in the four buildings vs garden I could be across the resort completely, which has happened and my wife goes nuts on me lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter