Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

I just stayed here a couple of weeks ago in early December, and for the most part everything was great. Always love French Quarter...however, the beds were really uncomfortable (like feeling the springs from the mattresses) I thought I had read that POFQ was undergoing a refurbishment, is that true? Im booking a quick 4 night stay to Disney in February on Friday, and trying to decide between FQ or POP and I'd much prefer to stay FQ but not if the beds are that bad again

I just stayed here a couple of weeks ago in early December, and for the most part everything was great. Always love French Quarter...however, the beds were really uncomfortable (like feeling the springs from the mattresses) I thought I had read that POFQ was undergoing a refurbishment, is that true? Im booking a quick 4 night stay to Disney in February on Friday, and trying to decide between FQ or POP and I'd much prefer to stay FQ but not if the beds are that bad again

We arrive this week. I found the beds comfortable in July - But the pillows were hard as rocks! Debating squishing a pillow from home into the luggage! DD already insisted she's bringing her own. DH will snore through anything....

Thanks for the replies guys! I may take the chance and ask to switch rooms if the mattress is bad -- it could have just been the room we were in. I just love the ambience of FQ so much more then Pop!

And I second about the pillows -- i've stayed in most of the Disney hotels, and no matter if its the GF or Pop, I always bring my pillow from home!

Oh, you never know your luck.... ;)

B6NxSfAIgAMIP2J.jpg

B6NxSfDIAAA0EP_.jpg

B6NxSfCIAAAo7Xa.jpg

(pics from @Schmoofy, somewhere in the Twitterverse)

Andre

That is awesome, thank you so much for the pictures :banana:.

Sadly, it really does need a refurb. Things are looking a bit run down.

Not when I last looked a few months ago anyway. The last complete resort-wide refurbishment was completed mid-2011, and since then the bed covers have been updated too (last summer).

Here's a high-rez panoramic photo I shot in August of the current look, and I didn't spot anything even slightly run down at all (although to be fair this was just one random room, I didn't check all 1,008 rooms for odd dings in the furniture, etc): http://www.portorleans.org/images/panoramas/POFQ-Room-2014-4652-pano360-HQ.swf

Andre

Not when I last looked a few months ago anyway. The last complete resort-wide refurbishment was completed mid-2011, and since then the bed covers have been updated too (last summer).

Here's a high-rez panoramic photo I shot in August of the current look, and I didn't spot anything even slightly run down at all (although to be fair this was just one random room, I didn't check all 1,008 rooms for odd dings in the furniture, etc): http://www.portorleans.org/images/panoramas/POFQ-Room-2014-4652-pano360-HQ.swf

Andre

You are right that it is not all the rooms. I have stayed there 5 times in the last year, with connecting or adjoining rooms. Some of the rooms are kinda beat up and some are fine. The beautiful gold carpet is now mostly brown!! We too noticed that some of the mattresses have certainly seen better days. I have always thought that Disney needed to refurb the rooms more often with all the traffic they have. Anyway, POFQ will always be "home."

You are right that it is not all the rooms. I have stayed there 5 times in the last year, with connecting or adjoining rooms. Some of the rooms are kinda beat up and some are fine. The beautiful gold carpet is now mostly brown!! We too noticed that some of the mattresses have certainly seen better days. I have always thought that Disney needed to refurb the rooms more often with all the traffic they have. Anyway, POFQ will always be "home."

All in all, Disney does a very good job keeping rooms clean and maintained, but the carpet and beds are the issues I have with all the resorts. As much traffic as Disney resorts get, I have always thought they should maintain the carpets better and replace mattresses more often. Always telling our DDs to have socks or slippers on when in the rooms, their feet get black without them.

Just booked two pool view rooms Christmas week...we just went last week for our first Christmas trip and loved it!

These photos are great!! Do they have similar items at POFQ?

I was just thinking the same thing, but so far no one staying at POFQ has confirmed it for us.

Is there anyone staying at POFQ at the moment who could check in the resort shop and get some pics maybe?

Andre

I love POFQ, but I noticed it's not available to even choose as an option for any of the current Spring Deals. POR is available to choose, but no rooms are available at POR. These must be the two most popular resorts in all of WDW.

Sadly, POFQ is quite often excluded from Disney offers, and recently even POR has been too (for example, neither POR nor POFQ were included in the fall Free Dining offer at the end of last year).

As you say, these are very popular resorts and it seems that Disney don't always think that they need to offer so many discounts to fill the rooms.

Andre

I was just thinking the same thing, but so far no one staying at POFQ has confirmed it for us. Is there anyone staying at POFQ at the moment who could check in the resort shop and get some pics maybe? Andre

Here right now - I'll check tomorrow for you!

Any other questions, let me know! We booked a "garden view", did online check in and chose from the requests "2nd floor" and "room ready early". We arrived at 1:30pm, room as ready, on 2nd floor in building 5, but we are facing the laundry. I guess I expected "garden view" to be on the other side of the building, looking at the pretty courtyard. Oh well. No biggie.

It was beautiful today, but got REALLY chilly tonight at the Wishes Dessert Party! Tomorrow is supposed to be cold! Rest of the week should be getting warmer. Hopefully!!

Stopped at Riverside for a nightcap and enjoyed the live music. Disappointed they took the prime rib sliders off the lounge menu. DD21 & I love them in July. Wanted DH to try them this trip. :(

Can someone give a recent (last month or so) update on the bedding situation? Is it still sheet-blanket-sheet and not the awful duvet that so many hotels have gone to?

Thanks in advance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter